What got you into Fantasy reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Angel of Chaos, Feb 23, 2006.

1. MasterofReality

MasterofReality The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Harry Potter got me into fantasy. It got me into books period. I was like 10 or 11 I was in 5th grade. I went to wal mart one night with my mom and I was looking in the books. I seen a copy of the first Harry Potter book, I had heard about how big it was so I decided to try to read it. I got home and read like 2 chapters right away. But I was a really bad reader. I didn't really understand it fully but I got the main points. I waited a couple days to read it agian, then one of my friends came over. He seen I had it and I told him it was good so far and he should read it. He got it the next day and read it all in like 3 days. I was impressed by that. So I hurried and read mine. I realized I understood it more and more when I read it. I also realized I didn't understand it as good as I could have so I re read it all in like a day. I was actually getting to be a good ready so I read the rest of them.

Then I read The Hobbit, because the first LOTR movie was coming out. It was a little bit harder than harry potter, it only took a little longer but I understood it fine. It took me like a week to read. Then I got the other 3 books. I didn't like them at first, but the movie was really good. So I kept with it, but then I got about half way in the two towers, then just quit. I didn't know what was going on or anything. Then the next year in 7th grade I finally picked it back up and read it all. It was really good because I knew how to pay attention better.

2. Kain Aldar

Kain Aldar ***** of Astalikan

I live in the Towers of High Sorcery in Wayreth.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The book that got me into fantasy was written by the master of all fantasy books J.R.R Tolkien, it was his book The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings were great too but the Simirillian was kind of gay, it was about the comingof the elves.

3. Fleah

Fleah New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LotR + Hobbit I guess was the startoff , might have been some of the Arturian saga's hehe my parents did a good job reading bed time stories, must have been tiresome though as books tend to make me an Insomniac...
    Well I read to my Son now, and can se the effect of it and he and I like it so far :)

4. meteyus

meteyus New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    iv always loved fantasy movies/anime (nerdy i know haha)

got to be at a prize giving in my school..£10 gift voucher we got to choose a book to be presented with..i didnt read so i just went for a random book with a cool name lol "shadowfall" by james clemens.

i love his books read all the fantasy ones he has out then i just..couldnt stop reading..started with reymond E feist read all up to the latest series still gotta start that..and at the mo i just started reading david gemmel books legend..was amazing.

i also read dragonmaster by chris bunch

5. Zziz

Zziz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would fall into the conventional 'hobbit' category. I wouldn't have it any other way though- what better introduction to fantasy could there be really?

6. rawrbabyrawrr

rawrbabyrawrr New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I used to sneak off into the library when I was 8 or 9 without asking my teacher and check out these huuuge books and sneak them back into my class cubby.
    I thought I was such a badass.
    But then one day I got an amazing Fantasy book, and from then on, I was totally hooked.

EDIT: It was Harry Potter. <3

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    My bid brother lent me Conan the Wanderer when I was about 11.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    About 28 years ago I was watching a childs TV prog called Jackanory.
    It was a special holiday edition where they got TV/Radio personalities in to play the part of personalities from the books that they were doing.
    That particular week it was The Hobbit.
    I loved it, begged my mum to buy it for me.
    As I must have behaved she bought it for me that Friday.
    I read it ever day before scholl, over and over again.
    The rest is history, but I never looked back.

P.S. I was about 8 years old at the time.

9. Esoteric

Esoteric Into The Forest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could say I have some amazing...unique story as what got me so heavily into fantasy books...but it's actually the most cliche way it happens haha. My girlfriend had me pick up Lord of the Rings...and after loving that, I read The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The Children Of Hurin, and the first book of Lost Tales. After that...all I wanted was more...so I went on the hunt, and I think the next author I ran into was R.A. Salvatore, and I read his Dark Elf Trilogy.

10. Julius Seize Her

Julius Seize Her New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I found my Mums old David Eddings series the Belgariad
    then read Magician by Feist.
    I still love those books but they really introduced me to fantasy worlds. <33333333333

11. dragoon

dragoon Let the Apocalypse begin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good question the first Fantasy book i read would probably have to be The Hobbit and then i just expanded from there reading the LOTR trilogy when i was in primary school and then harry potter i was put off the HP series when i got into High school and Found one of my fav authors to date Robin hobb reading The liveship traders and then the Farseer trilogy and never really went back to the kiddy books like Hp although i did make an exception with Phillip Pullman and the northern lights etc
    I was given Belgarath the sorcerer as a gift and then Fell in love with David Eddings oh and Leigh Eddings
    I then read the rest of Robin Hobbs series the Tawny man etc and even though id read them i wet and bought them because i had fell in love with her books but since school i have been to busy to relax and read but now that my kids are old enough i read them my books so i am currently reading Tales of the Otori an then i will finish Matthew Reillys books and then to David again.

12. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Slave of Duty/Son of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    For me it was Raymond E. Feist.

13. Darrian

Darrian Darrian Lynx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My mom had some books by Piers Anthony about a magical world named Xanth. I wasnt supposed to be into her books, but once I found the Xanth novels I couldnt stay out of her little book case in her room. Have any of you read Piers Anthony's Xanth novels? They are wonderful, although I've kind of outgrown them now. In Xanth, everything is magical and everyone is born with a magic "talent". If you didnt discover your talent by a certain age, you were exiled from Xanth to "Mundania", the real world. lol!

14. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I read the first half dozen Xanth novels back around '85 or '86. They were fun at the time, but I don't think I'd go back to them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  15. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    When I turned 9, my grandmother sent me the book Redwall by Brian Jacques for my birthday. I read it out of a sort of childhood obligation to at least make a show of liking gifts (so I would keep getting them, of course), but it turned out to be great. I read all of the Redwall books my school library had, and moved on up from there. I read through Terry Brooks, C. S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkein soon after and have been obsessed with fantasy ever since.

16. Midoriko

Midoriko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Hobbit got me into Fantasy reading. It was the first book I remember really loving. I wasn't old enough for the Lord of the Rings trilogy at the time, though, so Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl were also key players, until I was ready to tackle the trilogy. 'course, once I did I became a Tolkien nerd for life :D

17. Prospero

Prospero Banquo at your banquet

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Irish mythology was my first introduction to the fantastic, having been weaned on such stories since I was old enough to comprehend their meaning.

18. bookworm

bookworm New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I read too much as a kid and a librarian suggested something...kinda went from there...

19. Julia Knight

Julia Knight loony

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It was a book of Arthurian tales that started me off. The White Dragon and the Red, tales of Merlin as a boy. The Pig Sty Prince. All those noble knights. *sigh*

20. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I thought the covers for the Harry Potter books looked cool so I tried them out and liked them. From there I went on to Lotr and now I'm a big on fantasy