What got you into Fantasy reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Angel of Chaos, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Angel of Chaos

Angel of Chaos Music House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    SImple really, what or who got you into reading fantasy books, perhaps you layed a game and liked the story so much you just had to have more.... or maybe you got referred to a book by a friend? Then again perhaps you did so completley by accident picking up the wrong book from the library.

Whatever it is, please share it.

Personally i got into fantasy about 5 years ago when my mum read the first chapter of the hobbit to me. Then there was always the fact that both my parents and my older brother read it, so it was probably inevitable.

2. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have to say also that the book the hobbit got me into fantasy. It was the first fantasy book i ever read back in my old primary school days and since then i've been hooked on the genre and have ammassed a small libary:)

3. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Roland of Gilead just took the words right out of my mouth.

4. DolorousBob

DolorousBob New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Lord of the Rings movies.

5. Gildor Inglorion

Gildor Inglorion Immortal and unforgiving

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Alan Garner a wonderful writer, who if truth be told wirtes some pretty scary childrens books, they still stand up to scrunity whatever age you are ...

Though in all honesty I got into fantasy by stealing all my Dads books! Whooops ! Still haven't given them back!

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I started reading fiction books about horses when I was in 6th grade. There are a lot of fantasy books about girls who have famous/magical horses so the transition was quick.

7. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I credit one real person and one kind of real person.

- The real person is Thomas Bulfinch - Author of Bulfinch's Mythology, which is, perhaps, the best known collection of myths and fables. It is certainly a classic. I loved the odd creatures, fantastic powers and how mere mortals always seemed to figure in and confound the gods.

- The kind of real person is King Arthur. Probably based on fact at some level, but bugger that, it was the round table, the lady of the lake, the sword in the stone, Merlin and all the fable that makes Arthur fascinating. I've read more tellings and re-imaginings of King Arthur than anything else.

From there it was Hobbits and hobbits led to dragons and dragons led to....well you get the idea.

8. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My father read both The Hobbit and LotR to me when I was 6-7, and authors like C.S. Lewis, Astrid Lindgren (The Lionheart Brothers, Mio, my Mio), K.A. Appelgate (Animorphs!), Michael Ende (Momo) helped me along. After LotR, the first more adult book ("adult") was probably one of Pratchett's.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My first Fantasy Novel was Lord of the Rings. It got me hooked.

10. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    My first was Magician - Raymond E Feist. My reading has since become a compulsive obsession much to the annoyance of my family. I have read heaps of other books now but I will always have a little soft spot for that first series.

11. fridgehopper

fridgehopper Jazz Maverick

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I ever got into Fantasy books, I've read books for as long as I've been able to, and before that my mum read to me, and the books and stories I've always chosen have been fantastical. From time to time, I read a book that isn't a fantasy book, for example High Fiedelity, or the Handmaids Tale, but my book collection is predominatly fantasy, which helpings of Sci-fi. I also like to read from the 'Mind Body and Spirit' section in Waterstones, having a keen interest in the supernatural, mostly UFO/E.T things, or mythology and ancient history. I love that stuff. The least fantasy things I've ever read have been a series of books by Willard Price, about a family who collected animals for zoos etc, but that's going way back.

The first proper fantasy book I can remember reading was when I was 6, it was quite a big book and my mum helped me with it. I can only remember it vagely and it was about a family of dragons that could disguise themselves as cars. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would really love to find this book again, as I can't remember the name of it, or much of the plot except for what I've mentioned already. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  12. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Started off as a Dungeons and Dragons Geek. read the Pool of Radiance series and fell in love with fantasy writing

13. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The first and one of the best fantasy books I have read is The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

14. The_Khan

The_Khan New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My little brother got me the Hobbit for Christmas and I got hooked ;)

15. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I dont know. I have always enjoyed reading since I was 4 ( not just the See Spot Run books either )
    And I always seemed to prefer books with fantasical settings to real life ( blah ).
    I then when to comic books, then back to fantasy books.

16. Ulfygg

Ulfygg New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I grew up with movies like The Dark Crystal and The Labrynth. Then between the ages of about 6-12 me dad read me greek mythology norse, mythology, babylonian mythology, the hobbit and lord of the rings. when I was ten I started reading David Eddings and then I got into Raymond E Fiest. Also Sierra Computer Games such as Quest for Glory and Kings Quest. I started playing D&D when I was nine.

17. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I have always read fairytales and I remember a series my Grandmother would read to me before bedtime with talking animals by, Thornton Burgess. In grade school we had The Chronicles of Narnia for required reading, at the time the scared me to death! In my teens I loved Camelot and sorcery, but I had to hide them from my mother or she would throw them out...I was not encouraged to love books of fiction. Then a few years ago, my aunt introduced me to Raymond E. Feist and it has been history ever since!

18. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I was introduced to the fantasy genre by a mate, I was stuck in a spinal unit for 4 months after my accident and he brought Magician along to see if Id read it, because up until then books and me didnt work at all, mainly because I didnt have time to read working on the farm, up at 4am bed at 9pm, that was 12 years ago and Ive got two bulging bookcases now, certainly read alot more now than back then. Fantasy is an excellent escapist tool I use to zone out, its certainly kept my mind busy over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    My sister put me onto David Eddings when I was about 13-14. His easy relaxed informal style was a perfect introduction to the world of fantasy, and I've loved it ever since. Then along came LOTR, so I read the books before seeing the movies and love both in different ways.

I've always been interested in knights in armour and swords and Star Wars etc, any type of sword stuff really ever since I was a little kid. So now I'm a big kid, I joined a re-enacting group and get to play with swords every Sunday :)

20. Solcious

Solcious Veil-Lord

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My family got me into reading about the age of 15 and i am ashamed i didn't get into them before because i am missed out. I first started reading David Gemmell's 'Waylander' after i finished them i started with Feist books.....took me some time get through those. Then i went onto David Eddings Belgarath series and then Sparhawk books. Then i found James Barclay books now these books are different from the others every 50 pages someone dies was extemely shocking.

Solcious