What gear do you use?

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Mububban, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere but I couldn't find it.

So, what's your weapon of choice? What lenses and flash etc do you have? What did you start with, then work up to?

I started with typical cheap crap happy snap cameras. When I was maybe 18 I bought a film SLR, a Pentax MZ-50. It had a 17-35mm wide angle lens, and a 35-300mm lens. No external flash.

When I was about 24 I blew a large amount of my savings on a Canon 10D body, 24-70mm f2.8 L lens, 70-200mm f2.8 L lens (non-IS), 17-40mm f4 L lens, a Speedlite 550EX, Manfroto tripod and monopod, and assorted bits and pieces. Talk about an expensive hobby :D

The 10D took many, many photos. I'm keeping it as a backup in case of problems with my new toy.

About 2 months ago I upgraded to a 50D body. It is lightyears ahead of my trusty 10D in every way and so far I'm loving it. If it proves as reliable as my 10D, I won't be upgrading again for another 5-10 years :)

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    whoa... 10D? You're not a pro, are you Mubs? :eek:

I recently ackquired a D90 with an 18-55 kit lense. That's my first SLR - and I am loving it to bits.

The lense isn't at all bad - although there's quite some distort at the wide end. It's not very zoomy either. To be honest, the lense keeps me on the move; few steps forward, few steps back :D

It doesn't matter. It'll take time before I figure out what I really want in the polished glass department. Untill that time, it serves nicely :)

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Hehe my story is more untypical for quite a few photography addicts I think - since I started from nothing. I never really used cameras for most of my list, sure I used the odd disposable for snaps, but that was all they were, mostly uncreative snaps; and the darkroom and all its mysteries were too mysterious for me (that and kids don't have the money for really nice stuff). Even when digital came in I never really used a digicam, a few snaps here and there but on the whole nothing.
    Then at the rip old age of -- er - a few years ago I dumped some money on a Canon 400D + kit lens - and then started a very slippery road. I started with this lens, but I still never hit it off in a big way till my parents got me a 70-300mm sigma lens for christmas - that ws the turning point - at last I had something with a respectable zoom (considering that my main interest is in animals and wildife based subjects).

Half a year on from that and I dumped heck of a lot of money on a canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L, sigma 150mm, speedlite 580EX2 and a lot of teleconverters (1.4 in canon and sigma make and 2* in canon and sigma make). That was and still is the bulk of my gear these days - though I have added a sigma 70mm macro to the setup now as well. Though I have added things along the way - a good manfrotto tripod, 3 tripod heads ( a 3 way which was a freebee from someone; a pistol grip head and a geared head) as well as loads of little bits like batteries, battery grips, wried remotes, focusing rails, macro diopters.

The kit list is still growing, albeit slowly as the cost of what I'm after goes up (sadly wildlfe lenses which are good are really expensive) but the gear I have these days is very sold :)

4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
  5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Um....kind of. By that I mean I have a normal 9-5 fulltime job, and I do paid photo work on the side with a mate. We do weddings, portraits, just word of mouth referals. I don't know if I'd ever want to do it as my fulltime job.....I love doing it every now and then and the money we get basically pays for our own paper and inks and camera servicing etc (like when I dropped my mate's 24-70mm lens!). But if I had to worry about getting enouh work to pay my mortgage etc, not sure I'd enjoy it as much as I do now.

Wow Overread, that's one nice list of gear you've got there! The 70-200mm L lens is my favourite, mine isn't IS but I love it. Razor sharp, fast, beautiful images and the depth of field is just so flattering. I loves it :)

My failing is not being any good with Photoshop. I do the basic basics ie rotate, crop, brighten, contrast, saturate, and removing basic stuff like insects on the bride's nose :) but other than that I don't know fancy advanced stuff. So my images tend to be "what you see is what you get", I rely on capturing it in-camera and not manipulating thigns afterwards.

6. BFM

BFM New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nikon D200 and various lenses,Brian