What Fantasise You In Fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by arcanemetal, Dec 11, 2015.

?

You're a..

1. Beach person

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Mountain person

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. arcanemetal

arcanemetal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everything has their own impressions.

In what way does fantasy "impress" you?

:bayelfly:

2. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I like girls. Viking girls. Celtic girls. Greek girls. Egyptian girls. Girls. I'd say I'm a gynophile, but that'd be an understatement. If fantasy doesn't have girls, I don't like it.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +336 / 3 / -2
    My four favorite fantasy novels of the last ten years...

1. The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson
    2. Northern Lights Books, by Philip Pullman
    3. Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War, by Clive Barker
    4. Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

... all have as their protagonist or co-protagonist , a girl or young women. Except for Neverwhere, the girls are rather average but are called on to do extraordinary things. The fantasy that impresses me most, are those stories that employ a common character whose back is forced against a wall.

4. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Epicness. Saving the world - or someone's world, with characters that are heroic, selfless, or in any other way something you could only dream about, while still being believable. That's what I like most about the kind of stuff I read (or watch, or play). And the advantage of fantasy is the wide range of possibilities regarding settings, characters, and plots.

I don't really get the meaning of the poll, though.

5. arcanemetal

arcanemetal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yess yess, fair enough. And I really agree with you about the possibilities part, no wonder why fantasy universes are so damn big. Do you think it'd be possible to make a fantasy story as small and narrow as possible? This could be interesting.......

Oh and about the poll, don't mind that it's for fun. I've been hearing those beach and mountain person hullabaloos all my life and just curious which kind you guys are :rasputin:

6. arcanemetal

arcanemetal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shite yeah, we can find millions of kinds of girls but the best amongst those millions are in fantasy........... :'9 Idk that's just my opinion haha..

Speaking of which, you know that there are times when you find out people are complaining that fancy armours for girls are too sexy and therefore useless right? If ever the fantasy industry changes this "too sexy" armour designs to how it should properly seem to protect the chicks, do you think you'll still like these ladies as much as you do now?

7. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Well, those complaints are rather baseless. Some Viking men fought topless. Some Scottish men fought in kilts. Some Greek peltasts wore little more than a bed-sheet draped around their body. Google "chlamys". Hoplites' chitons also had an easy-access penis flopping about just underneath.

So, realistically speaking, a female peltast (slinger) would probably be wearing a peplos - vagina visible through the gap in the side and all - armored with no more than a wicker and hide shield.

I mean, assuming there ever was such a thing as a female peltast. But if there was, it's unlikely they'd be heavier armored than men. Girls, who are weak, need their mobility even more, since they're more likely to need flee battle...

8. arcanemetal

arcanemetal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now looks like we got some theory, but I assume female soldiers of the ancient times were almost non-existence.

What I agree from you though, is that females wear lighter gear because they're physically weaker than men. But no matter how light it should be it must be efficient, talking realistically. While in the other hand, if you notice our fantasy ladies, this "lightness" seems to be taken as little as putting only a set of steel bikinis.. then throw in a pair of boots and gauntlets. That is only when we speak of realism, in which, as we all know, is barely something "fantastic". So I assume those people who complained about female armours being too sexy and minimalistic are basically butt-hurt about not getting the "immersion" of reality in fantasy.....

Don't you think?

By the way, nice historical referencing. Do you think all fantasy fans are quite knowledgeable about history?

9. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Yeah. Organized female fighters didn't really exist. There's a lot of groping at myths to try to make them exist, but no. Still, it's likely there were some instances that didn't end in complete disaster. And as I said: men oft fought topless or with penises quite "at the ready" so a shieldmays in a leather short-skirt with no undies is totally realistic. Steel bras though is frankly dumb, but I assume they're meant to entertain little boys.

The main part of the body you need to protect is the groin, belly, throat, and head. So: short-skirt, vest, gorget, and helm. Or: shield and helm (like a hoplite). That leaves some pretty skimpy options.

And no, most fans don't know the first thing about history, but still feel qualified to comment on it!