What exactly is SoT?

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Hotpockets, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hotpockets

Hotpockets New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I know a few fantasy freaks at my school.. i'm one of them.. but I've gotten Sword of Truth recommended to me enough times that I want to read it, although I have no clue what it is about. Anybody care to illuminate?

2. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    It's technically classed as epic fantasy, according to my local bookshop, although it doesn't get very epic until book 2. Book 1, Wizard's First Rule, is a stand-alone as well as kicking off the series. Imagine fairly traditional forest-guide-sets-off-to-save-the-world style story with lots of torture in it.

It's one of those stories where the good guys seem to do the most killing. But to be fair, they mostly kill people who are trying to kill them.

3. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    The series is classified as Fantasy where I live. It's a very good series even though Terry says it isn't a Fantasy. Strange, huh? Wizard's First Rule is the mere tip of the iceberg. You delve deeper into the Midlands and meet new and exciting characters. As the series progresses it has it’s good books and bad books, or so I’ve been told. I’ve only read up to Soul of Fire but I’m sure other veterans here can tell you which books to skip. Above all I highly recommend it. I’ve been a fan since it first came out. I got Wizard’s First Rule for Christmas in 1994 and I gobbled it up so fast I read it again a week later. I will warn you Terry’s books tend to be very long but to me the lengthiness is worth it. Hope this helps.

4. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Not fantasy? How can it be not fantasy?
    It's a perfect example of fantasy, no matter what Terry says :D
    I really enjoyed the first 3 books, now i'm waiting for my internet order of the 4th book, Temple of The Winds.
    I seriously recommend you read it.

5. Panthera

Panthera Empress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm all up to reading Phantom.

It's as high fantasy as you can get.
    -I really like the fact that it has an intricate politics line.
    -I dislike the fact that the books are written so that you can start in everyone of the books, there are a lot of flashbacks.
    It starts to get annoying firstly in Faith of the Fallen (I believe) and it continued into Pillars of the Earth, but as I managed to plough through (take a year break :p) it got better in Naked Empire, and I read Chainfire in 4 days or so :p

There was also something about Temple of the Winds (I am not sure about the title, long time ago) that didn't keep my attention and I also had a year-break back then.

6. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    if you choose to read this series, you will read the first seven books fast.

faith of the fallen allows you to catch your breath. then, you'll get through that so you can read the next book, pillars of creation. but that's when you'll discover things really slow down.

which will bring you to naked empire. it has taken as much time to read naked empire as it took me to read all previous seven books, and im still not finished.

but overall the series is great. the first two books especially, i only wish i could get past naked empire. so i could get an idea of how this series will end. terry's preview of confessor has me really curious.

yeah, the series is definitely a fantasy series, mixed with philosophy and politics and human elements like romance. i recommend.