What does love mean to you?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Mad hatter, Aug 12, 2014.

1. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Precisely the point of withdrawing. Imagine if I had to return at some point

2. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I must confess I am a little confused... if we take into account my last post (that is to say that withdrawal is such a temporary status), then it would mean you would 'return' or 'rethink' your position, therefore, the point of withdrawal wouldn't 'precisely' be that of not returning (it's a contradiction). Of course you could say withdrawal is not temporary (you didn't seem to state it), but then you wouldn't have to use 'precisely' as to accept my position.

I'd look at it this way:
    1) Withdrawal is something temporary
    2) Temporary means that it's not definite /i.e. someone might rethink his/her position and return to a former position
    It cannot follow, from these two premises, that the point of withdrawal is 'not returning to a former state' or anything of the sort, but it would follow that when one withdraws, one only retreats for a short while, being always in the prospect of returning.

I wouldn't really say that I BELIEVE withdrawal to be something temporary, I was only stating something general for the love of it (I've never thought much about withdrawal, though I suppose in some cases it might be temporary). On the other hand, I was only trying to analyse our conversation and understand what your last post meant. I'd wish you won't withdraw again!

And, again, something important! I might have interpreted wrongly your last post (well, when one interprets something in more than one way, one is surely confused about something, right?)... The sentence 'Imagine if i had to return at some point' seemed to me of a sort of negative nature, that is to say that:
    1) if withdrawing was temporary, then I would have had to return,
    2) and that would have been damn terrible,
    3) therefore it's so good that withdrawal is not temporary (which does not follow from what I said, hence the contradiction I supposed). However, this sentence might be interpreted another way as well... that is to say, 'imagine if I had to return at some point' might mean that one surely needs to be careful about you returning, because withdrawing being so temporary, it perhaps makes one more powerful in his restating his position... that is to say that, given the fact that withdrawal might be temporary, it means that after withdrawing and rethinking one's position, one might find the flaws more easily and attack more eagerly. It does not seem the case (to me) that this is what you meant, though, and I am still sticking to my first interpretation. I'd like you to explain it to me, though! :D I often miss the obvious :oops: so don't be harsh!

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    On the Natural Geographic channel I watched an episode featuring a lone lioness, wherein she had recently lost her last cub. The film crew looked on as she seemed to go through a kind of mourning period, but as wild animals haven't the luxury of such emotions the feelings of loss and confusion soon gave way to hunger and survival. She successfully hunted down a female waterbuck and had herself a meal... the waterbuck she had killed, had only a day or so before given birth to a baby, and the lioness found it lying defenseless in the tall grass. You could taste the tension in the air as they filmed, waiting for the lioness to finish the job... but then something amazing happened, it began licking the baby waterbuck. Perhaps the smell of afterbirth played a trick on the lion's hormones and rekindled its mothering instincts, or who knows for certain. It was caring for this baby waterbuck as if it were a lion cub. It was equal parts beautiful and grotesque, unnatural. Methinks there is a very fine line between our penchant to love and be loved, and to hurt and devour.

So I think that's what love is, or what it should be or shouldn't be, balancing on a razor's edge, a trick of hormones, the play of light... at their pleasure and for amusement the Gods shake the firmament of stars and moon to burn brighter, and they cast two unlikely souls together; they wait and see to what will happen, and if there is any magic left in this fucking world.

Hello Ramona, good to see you again.;)

4. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Good to see you, Ian :)
    Your comment has left me a bit speechless, only because I find it both accurate and splendidly told.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Thank you... even someone who doesn't appreciate poetry like myself, can at times wax poetic.:eek:
    the Gods are saying I'm late for work so I'm off now to work. Talk to you soon.:)

6. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late (someone's been reading Alice in Wonderland last week :oops:). Have a nice day, I hope you won't be overworked. I do hope to catch up with you soon enough.

I didn't know you don't appreciate poetry! :eek:

7. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    A simple consideration of possibilities - I currently withdraw, and I might return later if I want to.

8. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I feel as if my speech has been utterly ignored (I must learn to talk less :eek:).

9. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    No. Was it really that confusing though? If yes, this means I'm getting better

10. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't say 'confusing', but the following post was indeed inconsistent with what I have previously said (interpreting it in the present context made one feel unsure about what was it that you stated):
    I would say that being confusing is not always a good thing, there are certain 'rules' (whether they are spoken or not) that perhaps should be followed in a conversation, otherwise one would end up talking to his self, which isn't in itself a bad thing (I do it quite often) but it certainly minimises the importance, if not the existence, of a certain conversation (in which two or more people are engaged).

11. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Well. It really is simpler than you suspected originaly.

Withdrawal is a temporary state, which I entered because I had nothing to answer with. I would return later on when I had something to say. In the case I actualy had to return that is.(yes that was negative, I don't like talking when I don't have enough information on a subject.)

12. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    The bacon wasn't ready yet.

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I had to turn the channel because the whole situation was troubling and difficult to watch, so I don't know how things turned out... I assume, the lioness came to her senses and finally sat down for a meal of baby waterbuck.