What does love mean to you?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Mad hatter, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    Love, for me, is looking at my partner and knowing that I'll never again be alone. Imagining the big White House and the horses out back, the big oak tree in the garden.

It is the feeling that I get when I see her after work, and all I can think about is snuggling down in bed with a movie or some games.

It is getting kicked in the night.

What does love mean to you?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    the opposite of hate?
    Hur Hur..
    I guess love is one of those words that gets thrown around too much.. Unconditional love, I'd describe as you have. However love can turn sour unfortunately. You can love someone but it isn't all rainbows and sunshine :(
    infact I'm lost now.
    I think the picture of love is romance and lovey dovey. That's what I guess is what it means to me on an inner feeling.

3. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Love is a psychological necessity of a human. Essentialy our species is social by nature, and therefore our psychology requires friends and loved ones.
    Of course I could write a lot more on the subject from either a philosophycal or scientific point of view, but in the most basic sense - thats it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    GrimWarlock the philosopher ;)

5. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Ah who am I kidding I love to (over)analyse and discuss vague stuff like that, while being a know it all a-hole that always thinks he is/in fact is better:

Now, strictly speaking we were dicussing lus... I mean Romantic Love(Eros) although I there are more types. In its most basic form, love is but a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection to pleasure. Referring ofcourse to an emotion and strong personal attachment. It can mean human virtue such as kindness, compassion and the aforementioned affection a.k.a the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another". Plus it's not necessarily towards others as it may describe compassionate and affectionate actions towards other humans but also simply towards one's self.

In order to make this easy we'll go with the system of the four types of love:
    1.Kinship or Familiarity(Storge)
    2. Friendship(Philia)
    3. Sexual and/or romantic(Eros)
    4. Altruistic self-emptying(Agape)

As I said basicaly, love in its various forms acts as a major facilitator of interpersonal relastionships and, owing to its central psychological importance.

So, which one is under discussion or all of them?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. Mad hatter

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    Stop over thinking it.

Love in general, whether that be for your dog, your favorite plant, your pet plankton, I dont know. Just something/someone you love and why.

7. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Nothing. Instead I just respect people or things. I probably sound villainous but to me love is a vulnerability.

I like things but going so far as to "love" them would make them a crutch. Even the things I like tend to dissatisfy me frequently, if I put any more emotional investment in it I would just regret it.

I'm all for romanticizing things but I can't if it gets personal.

8. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    You need to get laid yuan :p

9. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    "Love means never having to say you're sorry." That's what they said in Love Story but I think it's the opposite. It means that you will say sorry. Why? Because your partner's feelings matter to you as much as your own. That's love right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Hey now, that action can be devoid of love entirely. You might know about a certain profitable industry involving this sentiment. *nudge nudge*

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    1: *Is once again dissapointed nobody caught his joke, which he always places on his more serious messages, for the sake of lulz. Wonders if subtlety is dead nowadays*
    2: Well, I'm afraid that as a person who seeks knowledge and wisdom in all its forms, I am incapable of fulfilling this. So from me you can mostly get my studies and reasoning on "love" both as a social and biological phenomenon. That said, I do relatively agree with Lord Yuan as personal attachment is very much an exploitable weakness, though I would also disagree since it is essentialy a part of us, as human beings(Debatable, should we view love as a part of a human due to evolution, or as something social and therefore artificialy existing by humans who made it up to save themselves from the sterile and terrifying void of the unknown universe).

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Lust is the more biological end, I think we socially polish it up with "love" to make our kinks, desires, and needs more "appropriate".

I was just burned too many times in quick succession way back to humor the idea of romantic love. I've seen so many lovey dovey couples hit the fan too, mostly with friends.

I've probably seen the same amount of successful relationships but the emotional effort, time, and the aftermath just seems too high risk.

I'd only extrapolate my views as far as my own life choices though, for those that desire so I say follow the love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Love is incredibly complicated. Or, love on its own is incredibly simple, but making it part of your life can make things super complicated. Doesn't have to, though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Love is the hardest thing ever, but also the best thing ever. I agree with Firi, t'is quite a complicated emotion, really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ No, it is very much not. The universe itself is. I believe i've finally formulated a simple answer to what love is for me, and I will simply(forgive my arrogance)self-quote(Rough translation):
    "Love is one more of the things we use to avoid fear. Why do we spend time with friends? Why do we seek love? Why do we indulge in whatever pleasures? Because we don't want to be alone. Because when we are alone - that is when we start to think. And once we think - we begin to realise how much we don't know. We fear the unknown - we fear being in the dark."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    But I've been alone for many years and was very happy with that situation. Furthermore, I think I'm aware of how much I don't know, and how much humanity doesn't know, and instead of fearing this unknown I think it's fascinating and I love exploring it (or would love to explore it).
    And sometimes, when I'm around the people I love, around those people with whom I can talk about everything, we think about these things together. Love does not have to be (or lead to) the absence of (or a distraction from) thinking. Sure, it can numb reason for a while, but it doesn't have to. That's what I think. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Love is the emotional condition one is in while they are being manipulated and getting stabbed the back but before realizing what is actually going on. It's a position of being tethered to someone who only values you for the benefits. Love is a word used for temporary gratification and control.

18. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ Narrow viewpoint. Disregards multiple possibilities, there is more to humanity than the desire to benefit oneself

19. Mad hatter

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    Don't be so bitter.

20. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Keep in mind that the question is "What does love mean to you?", and not "What does love mean?" :p

• Agree Agree x 2