What do you want to see in the new prequel series of GOT?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Anakin, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +977 / 1 / -0
    Please check this thread (spoilers):

Game of Thrones Prequel Pilot Ordered [SPOILERS]

Personally I really want to see Azor Ahai as a character. Next to him I want to see Brandon Stark.

When we talk about creatures I really like to see more the book versions of direwolves and giant ice spiders. I've been wanting them really in the current GOT series but we never got them. Obviously I would like to see the dragons return, but I don't think that's going to happen, though it's not impossible.

2. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    I want to see Lann the Clever! The man that founded House Lannister. Sounds like Littlefinger and Tywin rolled into one! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    Hmmm. I really am not going to read spoilers like these.

I am, though, really curious what these prequels turn out to be. Quality of spin-offs and prequels have wildly varied over the ages.

But I will be honest - the Azor-Ahai story line really does have my interest. So, kinda looking out for this one :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +977 / 1 / -0
    Oh yeah Azor Ahai is probably the most interesting part for me in this series. That is something that might actually damage the series though. Many give the character too much praise, like he was the ultimate hero and they're waiting basically for Azor Ahai 2,0 and I'm very sure that's not going to happen, Me and Padmé talked about this. She pointed out that Azor Ahai failed in the end. He didn't destroy the White Walkers. He only pushed them back further North.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    [POSSIBLE SPOILERS, JUST ME SPECULATING]

Indeed, the story of Azor Ahai is not meant to be a 'to do' guide. It's a warning of what not to do. He was able to stop the Long Night in its tracks, yes, but he only pushed the White Walkers back, he did not destroy them. He sacrificed his wife to forge Lightbringer, a great sacrifice indeed, but as GRRM has been showing us, to sacrifice an innocent life is EVIL, regardless of the 'greater good'. Stannis sacrificed his daughter (in the show but will also in the books) for a 'greater good', and look where it got him? He got what he deserved. The most powerful and selfless act is SELF sacrifice. To sacrifice oneself for your family, your people, the world. I have the feeling that's where Jon Snow is headed. He will do what Azor Ahai did not, and in doing so, he will DESTROY the Night King and the White Walkers for good. One way or another, the White Walkers will be gone at the end of ASOIAF, I think it will be a great self sacrifice that does it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    @Anakin : Hmm - quite possibly. But GoT has a theme of showing flaws in characters. And, getting their history wrong. It's basically what makes GoT so good.

Given that premise, Azor Ahai might very well be a tragic hero, or a hapless victim of time and place. Or, even, the villain who is remembered for all the wrong reasons. Maybe the story of Azor Ahai is a composite of a few heroes amalgamated over time - proving that all these prophecies about the second coming of Azor Ahai were just bull excrement.

We could even have a story where we don't get to find out who the Azor Ahai is until the very end. We might get that part completely wrong. That'd be fun :D

That being said, I also see potential to completely screw it up, and I very much see all the pitfalls right before me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm a bit worried. Provided GRRM remains involved in the making of this prequel, I'll be less worried. The main issue for me, which is also an issue of season 6 and 7, is there won't be the fantastic GRRM dialogue. Season 1 had no big special effects or anything, just a lot of interesting characters having interesting interactions. And the banter between them was so important there. So I'm worried we won't have that initial spice that the show was so great with.

I think as a story, it'll be fine, but will it be as good as GOT? I'm not sure, but I'm hopeful.

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    @Padmé : Jeez. A prequel without good dialog? Hmmm. Not sure about that...

:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    :D Yep, been there!

I don't know enough about Jane Goodman either, other than being married to Jonathan Ross, who will likely be going bananas since he's an enormous GOT fan...... Oh Christ, does that mean he's getting a cameo?! :confused:

10. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +977 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, maybe. You have to build up the character and give him some depth and I think that might lack if you only introduce him at a late point. Maybe it would be more interesting to build up a character that is Azor Ahai, but we don't know it as an audience. I guess that's what you mean? Because introducing the character by the end wouldn't work out as well imo. I do have to agree with Padmé. Think Littlefinger as well or Tyrion. You can hear that they don't have as witty lines as they used to. They are capable of writing something memorable, but I didn't really see it in the last two seasons. I mean 'The Climb' has a really great scene in it, where he says that Chaos isn't a pit, it's a ladder.

11. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    I think the problem with the last two seasons, particularly season 7, is they just want to be done with it. You can feel it. That's why there were only 7 episodes. All that bullshit that it wouldn't feel rushed, well, guess what.... it felt rushed. VERY rushed. They could have fleshed it out but they chose not to. After having characters like Dany kicking around in Meereen for years, we skip through some genuinely interesting events. I wasn't a massive fan of the 'let's get ourselves a wight' adventure, but fair enough. We saw some good character interactions that we'd never seen before. They should've fleshed it out to 2-3 episodes. Make it feel like a real ordeal to get beyond the Wall, and more, to get a damn wight!

They also shouldn't have shown Dany leaving to save them..... it was just silly. They could have placed the elements of that conversation in the previous scene she had with Tyrion without giving the game away. Imagine we had known Sansa and Baelish were on the way before Jon was saved at the Battle of the Bastards? Wouldn't have been as good, would it. Same with the Daenerys rescue.... why show us that she's on the way?! It took the suspense of the scene away because you knew dragons were coming to fuck shit up. But again, it was laziness, they were just desperate to get to the final season to be done with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +977 / 1 / -0
    To be fair, it was quite predictable that Dany would save the day, but I agree that D&D just want to get it over with. The show has transformed. It was a fantasy-drama. Now it's more like fantasy-action show with some drama scenes it. I'm just saying that the most memorable scenes are the action sequences. The most memorable non-action scenes were mostly the interactions between Jon and Dany, which are now the only two characters the show is mostly focusing on, though again that was kind of predictable as well.

13. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    Well it was predictable that Dany would save the day because they showed her leaving, ultimately. Not only that, it was a hop and a skip to the North in the show, rather than the countless miles that they actually travelled. If they'd made it into a huge ordeal, a real adventure, it would've been MORE surprising that she comes to save the day. We saw that they sent a raven to Dany, but you'd be wondering if she got it.

Oh also.... I love Benjen, but they already had one deux machina, they didn't need two.

14. Turambar

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    @Anakin Well, you can have a good five or six characters which fit parts of the Azor Ahai story, and then leave it to the viewer to decide who that is. Like Wie is de Mol :p

SPOILERS :D

@Padmé The thing with 7 is that there were no big plot twists, or moments where the story appeared not to give a crap who survived. Was it episode nine where Ned died? So they hired Sean Bean as the biggest name for the series. He made it to episode nine. Season One. (Or book one, if you like). That was a kick in the teeth, that. There were no kicks in teeth in season seven. It was a neat tidying up and bringing together of story lines. Heroes being heroes.

Game of f*cking Thrones is not about heroes being heroes. It is about heroes getting a stray arrow in the gut, or dying to dysentery. Or whatever it was that came out of Melissandre that one night. Season 7 has foregone everything that makes GoT awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    So true! That was the real disappointment, especially with The Spoils of War. Dany finally in Westeros, recreating The Field of Fire....... and no one important dies? :mad: I didn't want Jaime to die, so okay.... but Bronn? Sure, he's a laugh, but do we need him? Someone important should've died there for that fight to really mean something.

In the North, okay the Red Priest died but he'd just been brought back from Season 3 'mysteriously' lol Him and his crew, so we knew one of them were going to die, but did we care? Nah, not really. Like you said, everyone was safe. Except Baelish and Viserion. Although I wasn't too happy with the way Baelish went either. He, like Tyrion, went down in the brains department after they had depleted the usable material of the books. Book Baelish would never have been scuppered so easily. I'm sure he will die somehow, but not like that. His ambitions and motives were just all over the place.

Anyway.... one more season. I can guess most of the major deaths, just a little ??? about a couple of them.

16. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +977 / 1 / -0
    Well Jon is definitely the good guy hero, but Dany? Not so much. She has good intentions, but she does have a temper and a 'my way or the high way' attitude, though that changes slowly, burning down her enemies with barely any remorse. Like when she burned them in the Spoils of War and in the next episode she burned Randyll Tarly and Dickon Tarly because they refused to bend the knee and refused to go to the Wall. So I think it will be interesting to see what Sam will think of that when basically Jon's lover burned down her family, since Jon and Sam are such good friends. I know that things are becoming more predictable, but that's just natural imo because the show is coming to a close. Little by little you see where the path is going to end up. That doesn't mean there can't be twists anymore and they've still been lazy in that department. But some things I can forgive. I still enjoyed season 7 really. Maybe even more than season 6.

17. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    Well that's the ultimate high point of the heroine's journey. For males it's 'master of the two worlds', for women it's 'power over life and death'. So the feminine high is to be able to give life (give birth, fire, freeing slaves etc) or give death (dracarys). In the literal world, it's complicated lol But metaphorically speaking she's done a great job lol Like a mother tiger looking after her cub, sorta thing.

I don't want to get into Season 8 spoilers but there could be some developments that soften her.... potentially! Or it could make her go the other way, we'll have to wait and see. I think that this stage of the game there won't be any major surprises left.

18. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +687 / 4 / -0
    I don't want to read any spoilers! :eek: But I'd love to see two things: Brandon Stark and Azor Ahai. No idea how this is going to work, but I'm sure I will enjoy it if they don't make a mess out of it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    That's my worry too, though I wonder what period they will show exactly. The Age of Heroes took place over... thousands of years? Hundreds? It was a long time, so while I was initially thinking of Lann the Clever etc, he might exist hundreds of years before or after what we're going to see lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Padmé

Ratings:
    +780 / 0 / -0
    A new video from Westeros.org discussing the possibilities of the show:

They brought up some good point concerning the time frame. Bran the Builder existed after Azor Ahai (presumably) fought against the White Walkers, and yes, The Long Night is meant to have lasted a generation, but the fact HBO are saying this isn't the story we think it is, could it be that the legend has been exaggerated? Would make sense. Stories saying it lasted a generation may have been exaggerated over time, and perhaps events happened closer together than we realized. A lot of possibilities.

I kind of agree with them about my concern about this repeating cycle of 'here come the White Walkers!' again. We're seeing the second run now but the prequel will show the first. It could be interesting, for sure, but is it possible this is HBO playing it safe? This is why I think they'll bring back dragons as well, somehow. Hardcore fans aside, who will watch it regardless, general TV viewers always talk about the dragons.... they love the dragons, or the White Walkers. So it makes sense that they would want to 'repeat' those themes with the successor show rather than giving us something entirely new. My concern with this though is that.... I didn't start watching the show for White Walkers. I didn't start watching the show for dragons either. In fact in season 1 there were basically zero. It was the characters, the interactions, the human struggle between other humans that was interesting to me. The supernatural aspect grew with each season but it was always sidelined, and I was fine with that.

Maybe this was also the problem with the last season of GOT. Their focus was on action, action, action. Not character interactions. It was the complete flip of the first seasons we had. Last season seemed to be focused on one 'omg' moment after the other. And while I appreciated that, I missed the substance from the quieter scenes. I think this is also why Tyrion's character has severely dropped since the end of Season 4. They've not really known what to do with him without the book material, and more importantly dialogue, to guide them.

So yeah, this is my concern. The Long Night, as GRRM wants it to be called, will have none of his dialogue or plot points to guide them, it will only have his input here and there. So does that mean they will focus on these bigger action/ set based pieces rather than the more intimate scenes which GOT did so well? We'll have to wait and see. I'm still curious to hear about the other prequels that are being planned.

• Informative Informative x 1