What do you think? Would that be a good book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Gavaha, Oct 4, 2003.

1. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, good point. perhaps another evil could arise...a lesser balrog, or a dragon or something. i wonder, the ringwraiths couldnt really come back could they, cause they're bound the One Ring. meh, perhaps another spirit could come into the world from the void or wherever Illuvatar is, and become a new dark lord, or for a bit of varitety, a dark lady...

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hey, is the 4th age as interesting as the earlier? I mean, all immortals have gone (safe Radagast, for he stays unaccounted for), Orcs have no leader, if any left. What would be so interesting? The Big War of the two mortal races? Dwarves versus Men? What on eart would the Dwarven want that Humans have or vice versa? The rise and Fall of Radagast. Brown and Evil? No, I think Tolkien immagined his world to have reached ballance after the War of the Ring as Iluvatar has meant it from the beginning and that Melkors evil tune is played out. As much as we want to know how the line of Aragorn ruled Middle Earth and wath became of the Ents, it would be not nearly as interesting as the first three ages at the lack of Enemies with the capital E.

3. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, lets see then...

In the Silmarillion, it says something about Morgoth's/Melkor's return. Sauron also is not ultimately dead, and also that as long as Sauron was in his full power he would never again be able to take a fair deceiving form. So, since Sauron is no longer all-powerful, he could gather enough strength in his spirit hiding in the drowned dungeons of Angband until he can take on a physical form again, decieve the Elves and the Ainur, and travel with all speed to the Gates of Night, swinging them wide open to allow anything into Arda that was banished from the world, least of all, good ol' Morgoth...

There's also the possibility that Allatar and Pallando, off east with their cults, who could rise up against men and possibly wield the power of the Orcs. And what of the Witchking? In RotK, it said when Eowyn struck him down, his power was not heard of again in the third age of the world (a possibility, but unlikely).

And last but not least, what of the New Shadow, begun by Tolkien, but later abandoned after the first chapter. This chapter is shown in the "Peoples of Middle Earth : the Histories of Middle Earth #10"

All that said, there are still plenty of 'Enemies' with a capital 'E'.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  4. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna agree with Turambar I think the Fourth Age is where Tolkien meant for his history to turn into our history.(hence the abandoning of his 4th Age story) While there were still people to beat and battles to fight, there wouldn't be anything like what we've seen before. And isn't Sauron gone forever? That's what Gandalf and Elrond said, and they're always right.

And if he wasn't gone I think he'd have some trouble getting to the Gates of Night, I severely doubt the Vala left the entrance to all the most dangerous things to ever see the light of day unguarded.....

5. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There r also other potential future dark lords than the ones i stated above... In sil, it said that Ulmo or Osse (i dont remember which) often took a fancy in terrorizing sea-farers, and using the waters of the world to create terror also. Hell, one of those two even served Morgoth, when there was something in it for his profit.

And Sauron may be harmless, but he might be able to take shape as a powerful wind gust and force the gates of night open =)...

And besides, who cares what Tolkien intended for the 4th Age? He's dead, so why follow his rules now?

Me want more........

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly, the Music of the Ainur (SP?) covered the three ages. I guess that either there was a balance achieved as stated about. Or the breaking of the world.

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I want more too, Curufeanor but without Tolkien writing it, it wouldn't be the same.

8. Cromat

Cromat Ash nazg durbatuluk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is prophesized that Melkor would return at the end of days, and there will be a final battle (in which the last corrupted king of Numenor and his army will be released from their caves in Aman) which will destroy Arda, and then the Ainur and the Children of Illuvatar would make a new music together and a new, perfect world would be created.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I know Tolkien doesn't like this... But it sounds very apocalyptic to me, like the book of revelations. In fact, the most religions have these kind of stories/prophecies to predict the end and for most a new beginning. In fact... It reminds me of Ragnarok, the Nordic myth of the end of the world (and the beginning of a renewal). I think Tolkien included these stories more likely to make a religion full-circle than ever to tell about them more than this prophecy.

10. Fingon

Fingon The High King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes it would be interested. Tolkien didn't really develop the Last Alliance, I would love to know it from the beginning till the very end. Numenor would be fun so woul Lindon. Great characters as Gil-Galad and Fingon should be further developped. But then again...I wouldn't really want to read it if it wasn't by Tolkien.
    ~Fingon

11. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the 4th age would be awsooooome.

12. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    that would be awesome

13. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    sweetness is the word for it

14. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    That would be awesome if he wrote a whole book about the 2nd Age and the first War of the Ring. It should follow Isildur's path right down to his death. Then again we kind of get a book sort of like that, the Silmarillion describes that time period a good bit.

15. Angel of Chaos

Angel of Chaos Music House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think that a gud book would be a proper one involvingthe 1st age, because no offense to Sil lovers but it kinda wasnt a proper book, it was more of a compilation of short stories, which in turn were more like factual accounts than actual stories.

Imean the Hobbit was a great book, one of the best ive ever read, but the Lord of the Rings was just to long and boring, Tolkiens style of writing became so full wtih fact telling, he cudnt miss out any detail, and that to me, spoiled the Rings series.

Dont get me wrong, he had a great mind for creating the world that he did, but he was so enraptured in it he forgot to do what all good writers do, tell you it all subtely through the characters eyes. Take the sword of shannara as an example, instead of saying in a prologue, "this world used to be an advanced society, but destroyed itself", it has the main characters descovering this fact, so although the reader finds it out, its not just a fact that the authour is telling you bluntly.

Im sure ill get a lot of people hting me for this but, basically i think Tolkien is way overrated, people can ask for books that are never going to be created, but whats the point, read an author who wrote more than the few books tolkien did and you'll get that detail you want, but in a more exciting way.