What do you think of LOTR as a whole?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curunir's bane, Mar 6, 2004.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK now that we have seen all three of the movies, how do you feel about them based on an adaptation standpoint? Do you think that they live up to the books or are "faithfull"to them?

I think that PJ has done the best job on adapting a book into a movie, than any other person or director that i know of. Yes, people complain about this and that,"this scene was added, this scene was cut, this person was added here, this person was cut here." But what people don't think about is other adaptations from book to movie that have been made in the past. You can take almost any other film that was made from a book and none will even come close to be as close to the book as PJ's LOTR. In other movies not only are characters changed, but their realtionships with others are changed. Jurassic park and dune are examples of this.

Yet there is another key element, which is the "faithfullness" to the feeling and theme of the book. Though jurrasic park and dune were quite different from the books, they still captured the feeling and the "feeling" of the stories.

Now people that i know say that LOTR wasn't "faithfull" to the books, and I feel pity for te fact that they are that selfish to think that.

What Pj has done is made these movies faithfull to th story line as well as the feeling and the key themes, and has made the greatest movie in cinema history, all in one series.

Please let me hear your feelings on this topic.

2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  3. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i think the movies were probably the best adaptations of the books than ne of the other movies. i mean, considering the competition (Ralph Bakshi and Rankin-Bass)....

'the greatest adventure....' was horrid as a theme song.

and Bakshi's 'Aruman' instead of Saruman? Incompleted also, and some of it made no sense whatsoever... WTF !!!

We should be privileged to have such an awsome adaptation, as it was as faithful as could be expected of an adaptation of Tolkien's masterpiece (despite the missing Scouring of the Shire).

4. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would give the Lord of the Rings the best book to movie adaption of all time.

5. Ohtatyáro

Ohtatyáro Papa Smurf

Ireland-Land of Potatoes, Leprecauns and...eh, me!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think it is as good as it could be...and that's very good!
    Sure, certain scenes were left out, but the LOTR books are a mammoth series, with a mammoth background before we even get to reading the LOTR books. I think PJ did a brilliant job in keeping as faithful to the books, and he kept the atmosphere, themes, and main messages. Anything else left out, while still important to Tolkien fans, well non-Tolkien fans won't exactly miss it. Tolkien fans can fill in the gaps with thier imagination. PJ is a Tolkien fan, so you know he wanted to remain faithful, and wanted to honour Tolkien, as opposed to make lots of money.
    P.S: Braindead rules! Go PJ!

6. Wolf

Wolf Professor Nick Cutter.

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    They are the best movies of all time ever! And they always will be for me. Especially because I have the Extended Edition DVDs, which were a blessing to posess. It goes and emphasises all the work that went in to making these movies, but of course, they also contain a lot of stuff that wasn't shown in the theatrical version. The films are so impressive, and I can't wait to dig them out of a chest when I am old and say to my kids " Now, bored are you? You won't be after watching this!" Of course, I'll read them the books first, just so they can start realizing the brilliance of the story.

7. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I personally think that the LOTR is one of the greatest things to happen to cinema. It's one of my favorite movies and I think no one will do as good of a job adapting the books to film as PJ did. It's the number 2 most grossing film of all time and is tied for most oscars ever won. For decades to come people will remeber these films as movie-making magic and will think of them as some of the greatest movie ever. After all it was called "the cinematic epic of our time" and "the movie-going event of the millenium".

8. frodohead172

frodohead172 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think pj created the best movie version than anyone could have done.I have enjoyed these films more than any movies ever. i will be waiting to hear more about the hobbit movie.i sure hope peter makes it a prority to start filming it after his next project.

9. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    It was awesome...pure genius...in my opinion the best films I have yet to see...

10. Ariadne

Ariadne New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They're amazing - obviously when I first saw them there was the tiniest amount of nit-picking, thinking "They should have left his in...they should have left that in", but you know, if they were absolutely faithful with nothing cut out, then people would be complaining about the length of the films, so I think Peter Jackson has done an excellent job.

11. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    OH! Thank you! Finally, somebody who at first saw the films and was upset then realized how good they actually were. I'm a member on a LOTR forum and everybody there are purists (and some hate PJ) and all they do is complain about the films and how certain parts were cut out and even after years of watching it they still say complain. I love the books and the films and I was also upset parts were gone but I realized how incredible they were in the end.

12. Kaly

Kaly Vicious Little Lady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have to say i NEVER wached LOTR movies... I read the book so many times and i just can't whatc the film because I am afraid it would spoil the picture I have created in my head... I don't want that my Frodo looks like some actor. I wan't it to look as something my mind has created while reading... I think that is the perfection of the book. I belive that films are great, but still I can't watch them...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Now that's a true Tolkien fan.

14. Kaly

Kaly Vicious Little Lady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much. My friends from HR Tolkien Board think I'm crazy... And they always try to make me watch the marathon (longer versions of the film) but I always make an excuse not to come....

15. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Respect, Kaly
    I think would have done like you, but I#ve been in the film first and then read the books... :(
    So my Fantasy was limited. But even if the film is great and the best film I've ever ssen, the book is better.
    What I want to say is: The triology, as PJ did it, is perfect in its self. The roles are perfectly casted and the whole team worked in perfect harmony, the places were brilliant chosen and all is just... undiscribeable
    It's just perfect! I bought the special Extendet Editions and they make it a piece more perfect...
    The only thing I miss in the film is Tom and Goldberry and the old wood.
    So the film is perfect But the book as well, but just a bit...
    ahh now I'm confused and you too and... I don't know how to say...
    book and film: Two different dimensions, so I can't compare.
    Right? Right!

16. Kaly

Kaly Vicious Little Lady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean.... And I understand you.... But also, I have no interests in watching film... I just can't do it... I think that whole world in my mind would be broken... I mean I have seen that face from your avatar so many times but I've got no clu who that is. And I don't want to know that... Caose I have my own face for that character in my head. But I apsolutley understand that the film is great... I belive every word you say. And jet I can't watch it...

17. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    And I can understand you^^
    my brother first read the books and the watched the films. He said his own LotR world has been destroyed after this...
    By the time I watched the second film I've already read the second book and well, yes, it destroyed some of my faces I've given the people, but I had to watch the film because I had seen the first part...
    So, don't watch the films^^
    you're the first "unspoiled" Tolkien fan I get to know^^, I mean, I knew that there would be "unspoiled" people, but I didn't know anyone, so you're the first^^

18. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think you should watch the movies Kaly, just for the fun of it. If you truly love the faces and places you have imagined in your head then you won't lose them after watching the films. I began reading the books during the time they came out so my world is a little mixed, I imagine both things from my own head and the films becuse I saw the first film before I read any of the books, but you haven't so you have all the characters made up in your head already which means they will probably stay with you forever. These movies are very well loved and have become a part of cinema history, I think you should give PJ and the films a chance and watch them, at least once. ;)

19. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Elkean. You should definitely give the films a chance. I had read the book a couple of times before the films came out, and they in no way lowered my opinion of the book, destroyed the images in my mind of how I thought things would look, or ruined its value.
    While the films are not spot on in terms of accuracy to the book, they are in their own right, truly phenomenal pieces of cinematic mastery...and perhaps the greatest films to have ever been made. Peter Jackson did a sensational job, that much is unquestionable. And you can't go through life without seeing Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf, especially in the Fellowship of the Ring. He gives a stunning performance.

20. Kaly

Kaly Vicious Little Lady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    well i will watch them.... but not so soon... i just don't feel like watching it now.... i don't know but the book is for me something special what film can never be... most of people can't undestand me.... it's just that book is so much more interesting to me than any film. I feel like everything is more realictic when i read the book... but i will watch the film... one day...