What do you Hate most about Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by Galadriel71, May 27, 2005.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Ever notice that every single Slytherin student hates Harry, is spiteful, and just a little bit Dark? Wouldn't it be nice is the students acted like real people for a change? You know, with maybe one or two being opportunistic and not hesitating to make powerful friends, but NOt being a little worm who delights in upsetting other people (it makes more sense for an opportunistic person to be friendly and likeable in any case...)

Okay, Slughorn's not bad and Snape's debatable (I'll be really disappointed if he really does turn out to be a bad guy in the last book because he was always the thing Harry was wrong about... he can't be right about everything...) but the students get on my nerves.

2. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    i hate the way the malfoys and the slytherins are always so above everyone else. geez, i want to slap their faces.

3. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I could not agree more about the lack of friendly Slytherins... even Jo has said that they are not all that bad! So, show us Jo!

I hate Slughorn, he really got on my nerves with the favouritism he was showing only the Great or Clever.. that sort of attitude gets on me...

Snape - hmm, I agree with you on that one as well. I would hate it if Harry turned out to be right about him after all. Daniel Radcliffe seems to think Snape is a good guy, I think.

4. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    What do I hate most of all about HP? ~ it's got to be Harry Potter himself ~ it's difficult to find anything actually likeable about him. Ron or even Neville would both have been a better lead character. I find myself rooting for Snape, Malfoy & Voldemort any time HP is on screen :)

5. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ^^Oh, wow, me to!^^

I love Snape, Voldemort and Malfoy... yep, they're all good.

I hate most of the Gryffindors! Can't stand them... about the only ones I like are Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Neville, but no, not the rest.

6. TheGreenDragon

TheGreenDragon Quizara Tafwid

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I liked HP at first but I find it just so childish after reading books by Tolkien, Feist, Garth Nix etc.:devilbat:

7. The Dragon Reborn

The Dragon Reborn New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The big part the relationships played in The Half-Blood Prince. The "Ron and Lavender affair" was a bit over the top and Harry and Ginny gave me an awkward feeling.

That's really all I dislike about the series.

8. Sakura-chan

Sakura-chan The Radish Spirit

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i agree with thegreendragon there's something childish about the writing. the plots interesting overall but def. different from most good books i read.

it needs more violence?

9. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    See now, I have read Tolkien, Martin and a plethora of many adult writers and I dont find them too childish especially as the series progress. Now, thats not to say they are not childish, but here is the catch; They are children's books. They are suppose to be childish to a point other wise they would not be....children's books.

10. Ellemorpheus

Ellemorpheus Owner of Your Soul

Severus Snape's giant and luxurious four poster in
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Jo has actually said several times that this is not a children's series. The books have reflected the mentality of Harry's age in every book. It progresses with him.

I don't know many children's books that speak regularly of snogging and violent deaths.

I think few people appreciate how talented Jo really is. Her style may seem immature at times but when you really are involved in the book and are experiencing it you get this complex picture and Harry goes from being whiny brat to a boy with the responsibility of the world on his shoulders. He truly is an amazing character. He's got the same responsibility as Frodo in LotR and it shows.

I wouldn't let a child read past book 3 or 4 until they reached a certain age. But I'm no mom so I don't know what age that would be.

11. Disco Jezebel

Disco Jezebel Speak Your Right Words

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree with Elle..

Harry Potter is a story about growing up with circumstances, but it's not kid friendly...What's so kid friendly about abusive parent (EX:Lucius and Draco), a family that disowns family members over marriages (Tonks), constant racism (mudblood)....Trust me I could go on all day...The innocent happy things that are found in the book, just help to cover up with dark and sad parts that kids just can't grasp yet.

12. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    You seem to take the term "children's book" as an insult.

Whether you think it is or not the HP books are children to teen books. That is their classification. Rowling may not have had a age group in mind, but publishers classified it (espically the first book) as children 9-11.
    Now the books have grown and matured along with Harry but they are still a young readers series.
    Again this is not an insult, it is a classification.
    The books being children or not does not affect the story. They are great books, I am a huge fan and I am just about 25.

13. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I have to go along with Alchemist here. They are basically "children's books", and that classification isn't derogatory - just because they are intended for children doesn't mean that older people can't like them too. I often find myself mixing older, more adult books with books that are specifically intended for a teenage or "young adult" audience. Plenty of books in that category are pretty awful, but there are some that are really good books, even if I'm supposed to be almost grown-up now ;). (Random shout-out: Meg Rosoff's 'How I Live Now' is frickin' awesome!).
    This just struck me... well, I'm a teenager, don't have any kids etc. so I'm hardly an expert on the subject but I personally wouldn't have a problem with kids reading the things you mention here. It's like the way fairy-tales are now versus how they were originally when not everything ended in the sanitised "happy ever after" ending. Yeah, I wouldn't give HP to a six-year-old (who would have to be prodigious to be able to read them anyway) but I'd give them to a ten-year-old. Kids can often grasp things surprisingly well, and I don't think they necessarily need to be protected from realities such as racism or disowning family members (there's no evidence that Lucius abuses Draco BTW). Meh...no doubt some parents who know far more than me would disagree with this but it's how I feel. Not everything needs to be sanitised.

14. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Now that I have finished the final book. I will say what I hate most about harry potter.

It is this:

I hate that there will be no more Harry Potter books.

15. annia

annia New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What I hate most about Harry Potter books...
    I hate the last book. Harry is so... positive, innocent, the best in the world, the only one good guy. He is too ideal. :yak:
    And... The seventh book is for children. All this epilogue, it's everything for kids. Bad Voldemort has been defeated, Harry married Ginny, they have Albus Severus :yak: and all live in hapiness :yak:
    It was too predictable. I've been reading this book from about 8 years and I really expected something better.

PS. Don't look at my mistakes...

16. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I was under the impression the series was for kids. I wouldn't have expected anything less than a happy ending.

17. annia

annia New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    but not as happy ending as it was in the book. I know, that Harry couldn't die, because it would be too brutal for children. But why on earth he named his son Albus Severus? Why Lily, why James and all this names after death friends? And why Lord Voldemort was so stupid? How could he defeat all the magic world? Rowling could write something more unexpected.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  18. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like the epilogue - that was saccharine. Other than that, I didn't the book was childish at all, in fact I found it very dark in places.

19. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree! People often think that Rowling writes in an immature way and her series is all for kids. I really can't believe that these people have even read the books properly! As soon as you begin to get involved in the story you see just how much pressure Harry is under. He's not being a baby, or immature, but just struggling to deal with the huge burden that he has to carry.
    As far as hating things in the series... I don't hate anything, but I don't really like the epilogue at the end of the last book. It wasn't written like the rest of the book at all and was a bit hard to understand. But I'm glad that the stories had a happy ending.
    And yes, I hate that they're over now. No more Harry Potter.. :(

20. rolemaster

rolemaster Warrior of the Light

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Imho, the thing I hate about the series is her choice to use witchcraft over fantasy magic. Slight difference, yes, but the effect and meaning behind the entire story tilts. J.R.R. Tolkien did it right, why change fantasy from what it was supposed to be?

Search tags for this page

fantasy readers who hate harry potter