What do you Hate most about Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by Galadriel71, May 27, 2005.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Please. She can't help what her parents named her.

2. Aemon Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What I dislike the most about the series is two things. 1. The wizards are so compoletely clueless as to the workings of the outside world. Which is impossible. 2. That they don't reveal themselves to muggles because (according to Hagrid in the first book, paraphrasing here) "They would want wizards to help them with their problems"

3. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Agreed . . But why did she use her first and middle initials in her name?

4. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe she dislikes her name. Lots of authors do it. Take C.S. Lewis (author of the Chronicles of Narnia). He disliked his name so much, he went by John (real name Clive Staples). Maybe she just thought JK sounded cooler. Maybe that's what her family called her growing up. Lots of possible reasons.

But, back to the thread at hand. What I dislike about the HP books is Quiddich. What a silly game. No matter what goes on in the rest of the game, whoever catches the snitch wins. OK, technically, this isn't true - you could theoretically have a team that so outmatches their opponents, they could manage to get up by 150+ points and still win if the other team got the snitch. In every match presented in the books, the snitch catcher is the winner. Yawn. What a boring game. I'd hate to play any position besides Seeker. I'd just feel like I wasted all my effort for nothing even if I'd personally had a great game.

Now, if Luna commentated at every game, it might be worth it.... :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    SPOILERS for Book 4

Not true. Book IV, Victor Krum catches the Snitch for Belgium yet Ireland wins. But I see your point. It shouldn't be 150 points. It should be something like fifty.

I also agree with what Aemon said. One of the moral sof X-Men is that they are feared and hated (like how the Dursley's view the HP wizards) but they still fight for the good of the common people. In HP, it's more of an attitude of "We'll deal with our problems and won't interfere with your world, and you deal with your problems and not interfere in our world."

Also, why do the wizards not know how wizards dress? Professor wears a nightgown in Book II I think, and yet an old wizard named Archie in book IV doesn't know the gown he's wearing is for a woman?

SPOILERS FOR BOOK 5

I also don't like how some of the incidents that could be great lessons are not really brought out. In the OotP, Harry looks at Snape's memories through the pensieve, which causes Snape to stop giving Harry occlumency lessons, which allows Voldemort to enter Harry's mind and give him a vision of Sirius being tortured, which brings about Harry's venture into the Department of Mysteries, which results in Sirisus's death. All because Harry looked at something that he really knew was not for him to see. And yet he is never sorry for seeing the vision from a moral standpoint, and he never thinks to ask Snape's forgiveness.

6. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    i hate it how British they are... they are soooooo british it is annoying..

7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, then Rowling is Scottish, not British.

I just thought of another thing I hate. I am tired of the Scooby Doo revelations of "He's the bad guy? We never suspected him!" at the end of every book. And I am tired of there always being something nasty about the dark arts teacher.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  8. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Lmao, isn't Scotland a part of Britain?

9. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    yeah that is right when i say britian i mean the united kingdom or what not, and personaly i dont like the british for what they have done in the past ( ruling other countries that are not thiers)

10. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Ahhh...this is going off-topic, and anyways that's a pretty sensitive issue (believe me) and it's all in the past

The only thing I don't like is the fact that Ginny's character seems to have deteroriated (imho). She was so nice and humble and polite...and now she's discarding boyfriends like old clothes and acting all defiant.

11. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. We met some wonderful Englishmen in Colonial Williamsburg, VA. I've got some funny stories there. ;)

But actually, I don't like how the books follow a formula. For instance, in each book, there is a nasty revelation concerning the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

12. Whiteone

Whiteone New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had a problem with that too. He should respect Snape regardless. Snape being a member(or was he the head) of a different house doesn't matter.

I remember going to school and had mean teacher. She worked our arses off, but I became a better student.

13. Nyano

Nyano False Prophet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dislike fairytales for kids, just as "Harry Potter".

I hate when white is white, and black is black. I hate the Good-And-Evil crap, and I hate when main character defeats everyone with love.
    It's pathetic when people are divided into wise wizards, and stupid muggles. Certainly, J.K. Rowling herself is stupid muggle. :]

14. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I dislike Harry. He does the most unmanly things for a guy his age. No guy his age acts like he does. I don't understand some of the things he does.

Well Nynano. Most people are either just good or just bad. You don't get very many inbetween people. I'd say that I'm just good, even though I do some things that are not always good.

15. Nyano

Nyano False Prophet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. There are no 100% good people (like Dumbledore), nor 100% bad people (like Voldemort).
    Everyone is somewhere between good and evil.
    You can be a little better/worse than neutral, but never good/bad.
    Some guys call me Nynao, or Nyno, but I rather prefer Nyano. :)
    Many people seem to have problems with my nick ;P

16. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Didn't the last part of that just disprove your theory? :p Plus, where does the dividing line between "good" and "bad" come in?

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Not really. I'm still just Good. I'm not inbetween. I'm still good, because predominantly I do the right thing. Apart from say, hitting a friend on the back a bit too hard or something <_<

18. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    No, I can't agree. To me, most of us are just human and do too many things for the wrong reasons to be described as genuinely "good". The same with "bad", even the worst people have done something right. i do believe we're all shades of gray rather than specifically "good" or "bad".

19. Eleanor Lupin

Eleanor Lupin Heap Big Chief

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hagrid

hmmm there must be something else...

20. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Let me correct you on that one.

Joanne was born near Bristol which is to the South of ENGLAND! (Oddly enough where a lot of the first settlers in America came from!) She is ENGLISH! Also, she went by her initials on the advise of her publishers. They said they were uncertain that boys would read a book written by a female author so they called her J Rowiling... she added the K - Kathleen from her grandmother, because J Rowling didn't have the impact the Publishers wanted. Just thought I'd fill you in on that... I have read all sorts of articles, and (it seems unlike some people!) I visit her site and read what she puts there.

Also I am a British girl and I took offense at the comments that a book with british people is boring!

Anyway, I hate Sirius Black GLAD he didn't live out the series *plot spoiler there!* I hate Harry/Cho the romances and Quidditch does get on my nerves just a bit. I also hate Remus Lupin: The fact that he never spoke out against Potter and Black and told them to stop acting like morons really got on my nerves. He's a wimp. As is the almost the entire Weasley family.

Search tags for this page

fantasy readers who hate harry potter