What did crusaders/knights wear?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Soulsmith, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Soulsmith

Soulsmith Forging souls anew...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm beginning to collect crusader/13th/14th century knight gear. I have gathered that they did wear plate mail legs and arms and had a great helm or maybe a bassinet and a shield but thats all I have. Under the tabard I haven't a clue. Was it chainmail or did they wear a metal breastplate underneath? thanks in advance

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -0
    I've seen illustrations that have featured both. But you figure in the desert full plate would cook you alive. What little research I've done on the topic seems to favor chain mail. Don't take my word for it though.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Well "the Crusades" is a very large time period. A quick glance on the net shows:

So we're talking just after Hastings (mail, open faced helms, coifs) to the end of the 13th century. To my very limited knowledge, the late 1200's didn't see too much plate, perhaps partial plate? So it depends if you want to be a Crusader, or a warrior from the 13th/14th century.

In the 13th and 14th centuries you start getting more plate, different helm shapes, and different swords to defeat the changing armour. Things like coats of plates (Google image for "wisby coat of plates") might be good for mid-1200's to mid-1400's. But in the 1400's I think you'd see even more plate stuff coming in. Depending on how rich you were of course :)

Patrick Kelly is a good forum member to ask.

4. Soulsmith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hmmm yeh the wisby coat of plates is a new piece of armour for me. I thought they just wore a tabard over chainmail. Im thinging of eventually getting a hounskull bascinet helm, plate arms with plate gauntlets, sleeveless long chain vest, full plate legs. but then I can't decide. I mean should I get an early style breast plate or get a coat of plates and a tabard. well I have enough time to decide since i don have that much money at the moment. I do have one question for everyone (mainly patrick). Were Bayeux style shields used after the normans? When were they given up? its just I really like them + in medival 2 total war they have semi armoured troops using them and these troops appear to be using them. Google is really not helping. Am i right in saying that these shields are known as kite shields since I believe they were used till around 14th century till the heater replaced them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Yeah kite shields is the common name for them. Dunno about when they stopped being used.

Again you've got to think about where your knight is living and who he is fighting. Obviously clothing, undergarments, overgarments, armour, and weapons will change slightly in a cold or hot climate, if you're facing arrows or foot soldiers etc etc.

Add that to the 200 year range you're looking at and you've got scope for a fair variety of gear to choose from. Depends if you want to go for a historically accurate kit for a certain time, or make a composite kit of your favourite pieces, regardless of timeline.

6. Soulsmith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well it will be a composite piece but from around the 12th century to the fourteenth meaning I get the majority of medieval style gear. Oh and my knight is English. He could be fighting anyone but id say mainly the french or saracens

7. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    There was also a crusade against the Turks in the 14th century if I'm not mistaken,against the Sultan Bayazit I that started with a big and very well equipped army and many nobles from France,Hungary and generally the Western world but ended up in a massacre of the Crusaders in Nicopole.The Crusaders started besieging a castle that was perfectly fortified and had a very big Turkish garrison and as if that wasn't enough the Sultan Bayazit I arrived with a big army and surrounded the Crusaders and slaughtered them.Many nobles were captured and very few of them managed to escape.

8. Soulsmith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately im deciding not to dwell on the losses of the westerners ;)

9. The Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine Grumpy Old Git

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Knightgowns.:p

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Hahaha, fkn win :D

Search tags for this page
did crusaders have plate armor