What changes in the movie bother you?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Anduril, Nov 21, 2003.

1. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pretty much all the changes bother me, because peter jackson story is far inferior to tolkiens

2. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I believe some of the changes were necessary. The movie would be a mess if he didn't change a thing. Actually, Tolkien didn't mind changes so much as he did trying to include everything and missing several of the main points. But don't get me wrong. Tolkien's story is far superior.

3. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, saying ALL of the changes bother is just me being a dick, of course there's some stuff i didn't care about, like leaving out bombadil (don't think he would make a very good screen character) but all the changes doing with characters really really get on my nerves

most of all the whole aragorn/elrond relationship on film is terrible, and trying to make aragorn into the 'everyman' character is also terrrible, since he's the greatest example of humanity alive in that age

4. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK the cutting of the scouring of the shire, I think, was a smart move on PJ's part. Certain things work for movies and certain things work for books. It would have been WAY TOO anticlimactic. If you look at the little "triangle" thing for how books and movies work, you would have the rising action the climax at the top, then a small amount of falling action (and i mean extremely small) and then the resolution. For books, its the same untill the falling action, there can be a load of falling action and various climaxs near the end. So that's how it works

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Some things that work in books just don't work in movies. As PJ said, Tolkien did a very good job of illustrating how the ringwraiths invoke fear but it's kind of hard in a movie.

I thought that the Aragorn and Elrond relationship was quite accurate. If you read the Appencixes then you can see how they both realize that one of them will lose the thing he holds dearest.

6. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOOK! They are two separate things ok~! You have the book and then the movie.. Just appreciate the time and effort that has gone into both works and view them for what they are?! I know the book is the definitive version [~duh?] ..but in order to take all that rich material and cycle it into a feature film, certain changes must be made.. For many reasons: to broaden the audience scope, add suspense/romance/little ploys that maintain the viewer's interest.. to create an effect that works on film [however, would otherwise fail in writing] My point essentially is to emphasize the difference between the two forms of entertainment.. and to say that these changes were made to enhance the version to accomodate a film standpoint [..not to take away from the true story].

7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    One complaint I have about The Return of the King is Gandalf knocking Denethor out with his staff. Gandalf in the book would never have done that. Even during his madness Gandalf spoke appropriately to him and didn't attack him physically.

8. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree Anduril. It was very slapstick and appealed to the lowest common denominator. It got a laugh but not from me.

9. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's another thing I didn't like. I hated it when people laugh at things like that or gollum in a dramatic scene.

10. EowynRohirrim

EowynRohirrim New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I kind of get sick of people complaining about Faramir, there's nothing wrong with his character.
    I love both the movies and the books, and the way he was in the books works in the books but not the movies.

11. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I laughed. But I laugh at just about everything. Not bawdy, irritating loud laughs, but mostly just quiet chuckles to myself because I know not everyone sees things from my odd angle. *grin* But I also thought it was a little odd too. But I still thought it was funny. Everyone's so serious and suddenly Gandalf whacks him. *lol* Heh. *tries to suppress a grin*

12. Akasha

Akasha the high cost of living

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There was something I disliked... They made the whole Shelob/Orc's tower part take most of the Frodo/Sam time in ROTK... and their way through Mordor to mount doom was really rushed. I really loved that part in the books, it was so dark and dramatic and full of despair... I think the movie could have handled it better.

Not that it wasn't an awesome movie, of course.

13. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I believe more of Frodo and Sam in Mordor will be seen in the extended edition.

Speaking of which, I have a hard time complaining about things in ROTK that bother me because I haven't seen the EE yet. After it comes out and I see the complete movie I'll be able to criticize.

14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Am I wierd? Am I the only one hoping to see Cirdan at the Grey Havens? And Elronds sons were not really featured. OK I like elves. Seriously though I only had two uncomfortable moments which seemed to be *out of character* Legolas shooting the Uruk to top up his score.........and Gandalf hitting Denethor. Not so noble but probably put in to lighten the atmosphere.........me I have no problem with intense.
    The bottom line........the BEST movies I ever saw.........extended versions exen better.......all hail PJ and everyone involved.

Nai hiruvalye Valimar..........nai elya hiruva!

15. Acme1970

Acme1970 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2 changes in the ROTK bother me, The first is the desicion to remove the scene where Gandalf & Pippin hold off the Witch King when he tries to enter Minis Tirith, The Witch King already states earlier in the movie that he was going to "Break the Wizard", So why set up a confrontation between Gandalf & The Witch King & then remove it from the final cut, The scene was in the Trailer, The 2nd thing that bothered me was the absence of the Mouth of Sauron character, Both myself & my friends were really looking forward to seeing him & expected to see him , I'd like to know the reason for leaving him out.

16. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Here are some points I'd like to make.

1. Well the Mouth of Sauron is in the movie. I've seen his armour.
    2. Cirdan was at the grey havens. He's standing behind Celeborn.
    3. Though I have my wishes about the scenes left out, I think I speak for all of us that it's not much of a critisizing of Peter Jackson. It's just a shame so much had to be cut even though it was necessary. But don't worry my friends. The extended edition has yet to come out.

17. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What bothered me most :mad: :spam: was the attack of the death spirits on MT, that clearly wasn't in the book and shortened the battle of the pelenor fields. I also have no hope to see the right version in the EE because the wrong scene is already in the movie.

18. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    What death spirits on Mount Doom?

19. Acme1970

Acme1970 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

MT mean Minas Tirith, Not Mount Doom

20. GondorianRanger

GondorianRanger Lord of Valathil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was in the book. Tolkien just worded it weird so it didn't really make sense at first.