What changes in the movie bother you?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Anduril, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    For me, the change with Arwen at the fords was still a dumb idea. But I think they did that at the same time when they were going to have her at Helm's Deep.

The change with the elves coming to Helm's deep didn't bother me because they were trying to portray how the elves were still fighting in Middle-earth. It probably would have happened in the book if they weren't busy fighting on their own lands.

The change in The Two Towers with the warg attack didn't bother me except for Aragorn going off the cliff. I thought that was cheesy and I doubt too many non-readers were fooled by that.

As for the change in Faramir, I still think it was a terrible idea. I'll give it my final rating after I watch the extended version but after hearing the writer's reason for changing him I am even more upset. They said that it would ruin the whole feeling of the ring's power with their demonstration of Frodo and Gollum if they suddenly introduced a character who says "I would not take this thing if it lay by the wayside." Well, it didn't mess it up in the books. And even in the movie, Gandalf resists when he is offered it, Galadriel resists when she is offered it, and Aragorn resists when he is offered it.

2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think changing Faramir made him a stronger character. It shows that he is like his brother but in the end he is better than him because he overcomes his temptations where Boromir didn't. The extended DVD even enhances this by showing how Denethor brings down Faramir all the time and says Boromir is the stronger brother and is always bringing Faramir down.

Shouldn't this be in the TTT thread?

3. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Probably. But I couldn't decide since this thread is designed to cover the changes in all three movies. Like the changes in The Paths of the Dead and the cutting of The Scouring of the Shire.

4. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's been many rumours going round that Christopher Lee has been completely cut-out off the ROTK, and we will have to wait till the extended edition to see Saruman's death. I think this will be one of the biggest mistakes Peter Jackson and co. would have made with all the movies. Christopher Lee commented on it saying he was very upset by it and won't be attending the premiere of ROTK because there's no point.

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Wait until you see the movie before you judge. Who knows what other scenes he would have to cut out?

6. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    he's back in it now, I read that too, he was going to be cut out, but christopher lee demanded he not be, so pj put him back in.

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I hope he's back in. The excuse for taking him out was that it seemed like it was finishing up the last movie. Well duh!! If they were worried about that they should have stuck it at the end of TTT.

If they wanted to show how Faramir was tempted by the Ring, I think they could have done it a little differently. But PJ is back in my good graces for doing that now that I've seen the EE. It makes it all much better. :D

Scouring of the Shire: very disappointing, but I suppose I can see why they took it out. :(

As for Paths of the Dead: Arrrggghhhh. No Rangers!!!!! (Ok, I feel better :D ) But nevertheless it will be awesome.

I think the Arwen changes bug me the most. However, I am extremely glad they came to their senses and took her out of Helm's Deep, etc.

8. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I know there are pictures of her that appeared to be Helm's Deep but I doubt they were actually of Helm's Deep. That seems like too strange of thing for even PJ to do. I have a feeling those pictures will be seen in RoTK.
    As for no Saruman. I remember before the TTT there were so many rumours that made people hate PJ that were not even close to being true. People like to make things up and these things always appear right before the movie comes out. Its like they want people to hate PJ and not go to the movie or something. I stopped believing "things" people post on the internet saying are true and always wait until I see the movie before I jump to conclusions.

9. evkl

evkl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dropping the Scouring of the Shire had to happen in RoTK. I didn't expect to see it in there. In fact, if it was in there, I think the movie would have a major problem with it.

I know I'll get murdered for that statement, but I can explain.

The movie will HAVE to hit a high point with an EPIC showing at Pellanor Fields and then at the Black Gate. The battles there will be breathtaking. So who wants to sit for another half hour to 45 minutes watching hobbits fight saurman in The Shire? There's nothing climactic about it; for the book, it was a good winding-down ending, but for the movie, as soon as the ring's in the fires of Mt. Doom, it's OVER. There's nothing more to make a movie with. Let's face it:

The Scouring of the Shire, as neat as it is, cannot be called exciting.

Although I wonder...How will the Paths of the Dead work in RoTK? And will the Wild Men show up? And how about the Men of the East?

*shrugs*

10. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To comment on the points of Saruman and the scouring at the same time: Cutting out the scouring was the most logical idea when faced with the question of Saruman.

The end of The Two Towers was buildup for exciting scenes (Gandalf casting out Saruman, Shelob's Lair). The rumor that the death of Saruman was originally going to be in the extended version is totally ridiculous. A lot of people won't bother with the extended version, and they were left hanging after Isengard is flooded. To have the opening of RotK ignore Saruman totally because he's already dead (audiences need quick resolution, having Saruman alive throughout RotK would drag the story) would make audiences unhappy because they found out too late they need to go watch an almost 4-hour movie they hadn't planned on seeing anyway.

So then the scouring of the Shire has to be left out because there's no one to instigate and lead it. No one cares enough about the Shire except for the hobbits themselves, Gandalf and maybe Aragorn, and Saruman. Saruman's dead now, so that leaves no one to scour the Shire.

11. Waena Myrrien

Waena Myrrien Troubadour

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the latest is that Saruman is out of the ROTK until the extended version, a shame really but I think it probably would have taken up too much time in what is likely to be a very long movie anyway - I think the last thing I heard was 3 hours and 20 minutes. Nearly time for the movie guys - gosh I cannot wait!!!

12. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I am glad that they cut out the scene of Shelob's lair in TTT. It was closer to the book that way.

13. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, those pictures are from Helm's Deep! If you watch the documentaries (I forgot which one, sorry) on the extended TTT DVD, they actually filmed some scenes because Miramax or whoever it was wanted more romance in the movies (completely ignoring Tolkien). PJ and crew never really wanted Arwen to be at Helm's Deep. Finally, New Line allowed them to resort to a more "psychic" and "flashback" approach to the love story based on a part of the Appendices quoted here:

"...Aragorn went forth again to danger and toil. And while the world darkened and fear fell on Middle-earth, as the power of Sauron grew and the Barad-dûr rose ever taller and stronger, Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought; and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard..."

14. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I used to disagree with a lot of the changes they made to the movies, but watching the documentaries really helps one to understand why they did what they did. As it stands, probably my least liked change was not having events in the right timeline.
    Example according to Tolkien: as Frodo, Sam and Gollum are in front of the Black gate deciding what to do, the palantir of Orthanc falls on the stairway by Gandalf. Another example is the Dawnless Day.

15. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Saruman's back in the ROTK? Wow! I'm so looking forward to the coronation of Aragorn and the wedding.. that will be in the movie right?

16. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any of you seen the movie yet?

17. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Grima/Saruman segment will only be in the extended DVD I think.

18. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    oh boy well PJ has really screwed up this time "we aut to wring his filthy little neck" Gollum moment sorry:D

19. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You don't know he's screwed up...wait until you see the movie to make judgements. Most people who reviewed the movie said there are so many good things to it that you don't notice the changes that much. Think positively.

20. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    well considerin the absence of some of my favourite characters from the movie maybe i acted to hastily