What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Radagast, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am now on a new Book, ElfShadow, By Elaine Cunningham, very good book so far, in the Forgotten Realms Setting

2. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Ive just started reading Robin Hobbs last book in the series The Tawny Man called Fools Fate. Ive been waiting for this book for ages.

3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    what is it about?

4. Ditz

Ditz New Member

a land of shattered dreams and broken promises
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm actualyl reading two books right now, American Gods by Neil Gaimon and the globe 2 by terry pratchett.

5. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just started reading Requiem for the Sun, by Elizabeth Hayden. It's a nifty fantasy novel with elemental and musical-based magic. Very detailed and imaginative.

This one is a continuation of the story from her first trilogy.

6. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Turin there are nine books in this series(Robin Hobbs). The first three are from The Farseer Trilogy,Assassins Aprentice,Royal Assassin,Assassins Quest. These follow the story of Fitz, a royal bastard who has a magical link with animals. He is adopted into the royal household and must learn a new life, basically he becomes an assassin for the king, with lots of hardships for Fitz.This is where he meets the Fool, the royal jester,but the Fool is more than what he seems and is pivotal to all nine books. Excellent story telling by the author, you wont want to stop reading these. The second series is The Liveship Traders, Ship of Magic,The Mad Ship,Ship of Destiny. Set to the south of the first series, these follow the adventures of a girl and her little brother and their liveship. Another good series. And the last of the series is The Tawny Man,Fools Errand,The Golden Fool,Fools Fate. This sreies goes back to Fitz fifteen years later. This quote from George R R Martin "Robin Hobbs books are like diamonds in a sea of zircons" end quote.

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    hmm, something to investigate at the library perhaps.

8. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    You wont regret it, but depends on what you like. Another excellent author is David Gemmell, Ive got all of his books, 27 of them.

9. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Legend you sound like an expert when it comes to Fantasy books. How many have you read, and what would you say were some of the best (other than Robin Hobbs?) :)

10. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am begining to feel small trapped in my world of Tolkien / DragonLance.

11. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Ive read truck loads of fantasy books, I have enjoyed practically all of the books I've read as well. As for favourite ones, well there are alot! I enjoy reading about magic and dragons and wars fought by the sword and your trusty stead. Ive got around 200 fantasy books. I will mention a few good reads for you people. Some of my favourites are: Raymond E Feist's Magician series(15 books)so far, Katharine Kerr's The Deverry series(11 books), Elizabeth Haydons series; Rhapsody,Prophecy,Destiny,Requiem for the Sun, David Eddings series The Belgariad and The Mallorean, Belgareth the Sorcerer,Polgara the Sorceress, Terry Pratchett for a bit of a giggle now and again, Sara Douglas's series The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redemption,Fiona McIntosh's Trinity series, James Clemmons series The Baned and the Banished(5 books), Trudi Canavan's The Black Magicians Trilogy, Chris Bunch's DragonMaster series(2 so far), J V Jones's The Book of Words trilogy, T H Lain's Sungeon and Dragon books, and 1 more Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori trlogy(2 so far) Happy reading folks.;)

12. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yeah me too. My fantasy list only goes as far as Tolkien, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth and Chronicles of Narnia.

13. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Theres lots of good reads out there. I was just scratching the surface.:D

14. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just getting into the Test of the Twins. The Legends series is pretty decent.

15. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I have to read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee for english class. It seems like an alright book, defintely known as a classic, but its not really my style. But it seems Wheel of Time got the better of the two this weekend. I finished two chapters in Mocking Bird, and a good twelve chapters in Dragon Reborn.

16. Feanor

Feanor New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Legend, have you read Eddings other series cant remember the name, the ones dealing with Sparhawk, and if you did what did you think of them?

17. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hi Feanor, Yes I've read those books , the first series is called The Elenium. Titles being The Diamond Throne,The Ruby Knight,The Saphire Rose.These are a good read and are indeed centered around Sparhawk, the greatest of the Pandion Knights. Plenty of humour,magic,adventure. The second series is The Tamuli, titles being Domes of Fire,The Shining Ones,The Hidden city. I enjoyed these books very much, plenty of fighting, beasts and gods. Enjoyable.

18. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    emma is taking forever to read, why did the sylibus choose emma why???

hamlets good though.

19. ejb816

ejb816 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm about to start "Fortress of Grey Ice". sequel to "Cavern of Black Ice" by J. V. Jones. I really liked the first book, so I have high expectations for the second.

Another series I've started began with "The Fifth Sorceress" and continues in "The Gates of Dawn" (by Robert Newcomb)

I'm still plugging along with the Goodkind's latest "The Naked Empire" (He may be striving for Robert Jordanhood, I'm not sure...)

And, of course, there's SK's Dark Tower series....

20. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    LoL. As much as I like Sword of Truth, they will never come close to the quality of Jordan's work. Sure Jordan may take time in his books, but I find it makes it more realistic and interesting if you can watch the characters progress as they would in real life. Gripping events don't always happen 24-7. Plus, IMO Goodkind doesn't have the best of writing techniques either, and although his books are a good read, the writing flaws will always take away from the quality of the series.

Not that I'm saying the series are terrible. They are a nice read to pass time, and I reccomend them to most people who are looking for a light read. Just that its not one of the best out there.;) :)