What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Radagast, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Malazan the Moderate

Malazan the Moderate Guard of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    @Druid of Lûhn Ugh, I know that feeling. I just started university last week.

I've been re-reading the First Law trilogy for a couple of weeks. I'm on the third book now.

2. Malazan the Moderate

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    The Cursed Child sounded pretty uninteresting from the get-go. Especially when I thought that many of the main characters (barring a couple) were pretty puerile.

By the way, for anyone wondering what I meant when I said Frodo is a much better protagonist, it's because he actually reflects on his experiences throughout the trilogy and the main theme surrounding him and his experiences is that some wounds never truly heal (the Morgul blade wound, the memories of Mordor, the psychological effects of the One Ring, etc.). It's a far more human and relatable experience in a series constantly panned by some as a generic fairy tale. It speaks so greatly of Tolkien's insight on the often cruel necessity of conflict and the lasting damage it can inflict on the common man. This is only made even more relevant in the Scouring of the Shire which isn't in the film, sadly. You see, unlike Rowling, I think he actually poured more emotion and craft into his world and characters more than she ever did.

3. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I agree, the cursed child has not been done well, it reads a bit like a bad fanfiction. Relying on old tropes and clichés. And for some reason all the characters are just horrible, especially Harry.
    Not worth the money/ time

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Malazan the Moderate

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    I truly don't understand the praise. It's not even a full-length novel either.

5. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I know a few avid HP fans that really don't like it (I'm not really one myself)
    The storyline is a bit of a cop out I feel. I just think it could have been son much better if they tried. Maybe it's better on stage, who knows.

6. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Re-reading “The Time Traveller's Apprentice”, just because I had nothing to do in the airport and then on the plane. My girlfriend gave me a book of diaries from the Somme which looks very interesting, and after that I'm looking forward to reading “Angel of Storms”! :D

7. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I'm a Harry Potter fan, but I am utterly uninterested in The Cursed Child. I didn't even bother with it. I did re-read the HP series this summer, though. Just because I felt like it.

I'm currently reading Natsume Soseki's Kokoro.

8. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The Rat Queens comics, it's in book form I feel like it counts.

9. Tamago

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Finished Kokoro yesterday and started And then by the same author. Seems quite promising - I read a short overview about it and it seems to handle the problem of personal identity. I quite fancy Japanese existentialism, I guess, and Natsume Soseki's take on human condition and the sort fancies my tastes. I've also read Botchan by him and I guess I can see why people tend to compare it with Catcher in the Rye, though personally, I have taken the two of them quite differently. It's also true it's been quite a few years since I last read Catcher in the Rye. Nevertheless, I do have a tendency to regard Japanese literature with different eyes :eek:as long as it remains Japanese (Haruki Murakami, for instance, is not very Japanese-like, or not entirely).

Anyhoho, one of these days I'd want to start my first Terry Pratchett. Do you have any suggestions? With what should I start? :D

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I started with the Colour of Magic, which is rather good, but I think I might suggest Mort actually, as it is sort of separate from most Disk World stories and is very funny, yet still remains serious.
    As a non-Disk World book, I would suggest Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, which is just an amazing book!

Reading Slaughter on the Somme 1st July 2016 by Martin Mace and John Grehan. It's a collection of all official war diaries kept by the various battalions during the first day of the Battle of the Somme. Every chapter is started by an overview given by the authors, going into great detail, and then it's followed by the transcribed journal entries.

11. Tamago

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I might start with Mort then 'cause a friend of mine has been talking about it lately, quoting something from the book that quite piqued my interest. :D

12. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Dreamwalker by JD Oswald

13. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Finished the last book of the Dark Tower series today, so now I'm reading King's The Wind Through the Keyhole. :heart:

14. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    “Angel of Storms” by Trudi Canavan.

It is good :D

15. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    yaaay! you're finally reading it :)
    I thought so much more happened in this book than the previous. It was so good :D

16. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    There's definitely a lot more happening! And it's amazing how the scope of it just blows up in the second book.
    SPOILER ALERT
    I did sort of like the idea of imagining that there were no more travellers between worlds and that Tyen would be discovering new cultures and teaching some people how to go between worlds. There would probably be less potential in that though.

17. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Started reading Prince of Thorns a couple of days ago, because someone on TFF recommended it (must have been in the thread about villains).

18. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    “The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages”, not really a book to read before bed after a long day, so I need to pick up a more narrative book really.

@Firiath: I've seen that around quite a bit, would you recommend it too?

I've also had Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy recommended to me (many times over the years), so I should probably get round to reading that.

19. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    @Druid of Lûhn yaas read robin hobb. You won't regret it

The corroded Man by Adam Christopher. Based on Dishonored

20. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Finished Prince of Thorns yesterday and started listening to the audiobook version of NOS4R2, which I've been enjoying so far.

It wasn't bad, but not breathtaking. I had expected a little more after reading comparisons between the protagonist and Ramsay Bolton. The character didn't feel very authentic to me, however, and the plot felt a little rushed. I probably won't buy the sequel if the writing style is similar in it. :/

Ooooh, very cool! Do want! I'd love to read that one next, before Dishonored 2 comes out. :D