What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Radagast, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Try reading Finnegans Wake by James Joyce... it will make you hate reading.:eek:

Reading Zero World, by Jason Hough

2. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Do not, repeat do not read the sequels to Rendezvous with Rama... they're not just bad, they are epic bad!
    How Clarke could follow up one of the best hard science fiction stories of all time with shoddy crap, is beyond me.

3. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I thought Ulysses had that job. Darn!

I've previously read The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and enjoyed it tremendously... As I am also enjoying Dubliners (perhaps even more). I suppose I might just stick with these two works for now. I would hate to start hating reading. :eek:

4. Kele

Kele New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am reading volume 2 of Jim Danforth's Dinosaurs, Dragons, and Drama - The Odyssey of a Trick-Film-Maker. It is a memoir on his experiences working in visual effects in Hollywood in the 1970s (volume 1 covered the 1960s). He is a compelling writer--mixing personal stories that are funny and sad (and frustrating) with notes on his technical processes and other esoteric information that may be of interest to the reader (granted-this book is for a really small audience).
    One story he told concerned the Zapruder film--he was asked, being an expert on analog film methods--if the Zapruder film had been tampered with. He goes into a lengthy explanation on the ways it could have been altered-but concludes that other than a missing frame or two, probably wasnt. Though he adds that IF it had been tampered with--the only person in the early 1960s who had the equipment (and links to the US government) was Walt Disney.

He starts his first book with the view that his career had been a train wreck, as he never got to do what he wanted to do--make feature films based on his own ideas. He is quite an imaginative fellow. He came close a couple of times--and did leave a considerable amount of paintings, animation tests etc. One story he had from 1970 concerned the cloning of a dinosaur.

He also met all the famous players of modern genre film-Lucas, Spielberg, and his views on how Hollywood changed--for better or worse (mostly worse).
    Highly recommended for those who are interested in analog visual effects and movies of the 80s and earlier. Volume 3 covers his work in the 80s and 90s--but isnt out yet.

5. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Oh, ok, I'll have that in mind. Actualle after Rama I read "Childhood's End" and was quite disappointed :<

6. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I read Childhood's End as a kid, so don't recall much of it or if I even enjoyed it. I looked it up on wiki and reading over the plot summary I don't believe the 12 or 13 year old me would've been thrilled.
    If you haven't already read 2001; A Space Odyssey, don't... it was written after the movie was made, and the movie is much better. The movie is rather tedious in places, but is truly the only SF movie that actually captures how lonely Space is... especially when your ship's computer is losing its mind.:eek:

7. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Well, I already did. But I had seen the film years earlier :p

8. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    ... and I meant to add, if you're in SF mode and have never read any of Iain Banks' Culture novels, you really ought to give them a spin.
    The Culture is sort of a loosely connected hedonistic entity, sort of like overlords of the Universe who practically lose every battle they fight, but somehow manage to win the war. It's like anarchy with rules. I think Banks was turning the universe ruled by conservative tyrants cliche upside-down, that liberals are assholes too.:D I avoided Banks and his Culture books because they seemed a bit sublime for my taste, but last year I read one, then another and another. Best modern SF I've read, and the audiobook presentations are excellent.

9. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Sounds intriguing. If I get hold of his books, I'll give them a try :)

10. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Bought The Martian on Saturday, finished it on Sunday. I'm amazed to think about how much research and calculations must have gone into writing this novel, but I'm still a little disappointed because I had expected to read more about the psychological side-effects of being stranded on Mars.

11. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    The Death Of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy. I've had my eyes on this novella for a long while now and I'm still surprised I haven't read it yet. Glad I finally have the chance to do so. :D

12. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    The Man Who Knew Too Much by G.K. Chesterton

The Burglar in the Library by Lawrence Block

Tajemnica domu Helclów by Maryla Szymiczkowa

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo, by Tom Reiss

I knew about the Count of Monte Cristo as classic adventure literature... until this book I had no idea where the inspiration came from, and who the person was in
    real life. Very enjoyable so far.

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If you want a funky mystery, find Felidae on dvd... it's really pretty damn good for an animated film, about a cat who investigates a series of grisly feline murders. I dug it up while browsing around a used bookstore last week, rated 'R' for violence, gore, adult content, and sex... I couldn't pass that up.:) Disney it is not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Looks interesting :)

16. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Witcher - blood of elves

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Fahrenheit 451, I've been planning to read this book in forever, but didn't manage to until now. I hope to finish it this weekend. I've also started reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco recently, and browsed through a recently published book by one of my professors down at Uni (maddening style:eek:).

18. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I enjoyed The Name of the Rose way more than Foucault's Pendulum.
    Foucault's Pendulum just had long spells with very little plot progression, too many arcane references, an unreliable narrator that seems to be lucid, but then you're never certain, is it a cautionary tale, or satire, or something else. Whatever it was, I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Battling the Gods, by Tim Whitmarsh

19. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I don't know yet what to say about that. I enjoy it so far, but I will be able to compare it with The Name of the Rose only after I finish it. On the other hand, I equally enjoyed The Name of the Rose and The Prague Cemetery, which makes me think I might have the same feelings (or rather, similar feelings) with regard to Foucault's Pendulum. We shall see. I particularly enjoy Eco's style which gives me the confidence to say that I might enjoy anything written by him, at some point or another.

edit: somehow, I think I might appreciate The Prague Cemetery even more than The Name of the Rose... but that might be an erroneous sensation (due to the fact that I have read the latter in high school, while the other this summer). Time can be a tricky business.

20. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    The Lost Kingdom ~ Bernhard Cornwell

^ I read it ages ago but as there's a TV series based on same currently screening I thought I might as well reread so I can point all the programs failings lol