What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Radagast, Aug 8, 2003.

1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm reading "Paris: Biography of a City" by Colin Jones, and have got Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" lined up next. I've been dying to read that one for ages, love having exams over and the summer to read!

Recommendations about whether to continue "Titus Groan" or "Sophie's World" first, or recommendations about what to read after those? ;) I read "Sophie's World" years ago when I was about 12 and probably a bit young to get it completely, but I did enjoy it all the same. Great book. What's "Titus Groan" like? I've heard good things about it. Also, Robin Hobb is awesome; I would definitely recommend the Farseer, Liveship and Fool trilogies (in that order).

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I was asking between the two books. I decided to continue "Sophie's World" as I was furthest through that.

"Titus Groan" (for now) is very weird: it's fantasy in the way that it's a different world with a few new creatures and impossible sizes, etc, but I'd say it's more of dark fairy tale. The people are all over the top and so are the buildings. I't interesting but very weird for now.
    It was also written before "The Hobbit."

And I've read the first book of the "Soldier Son" trilogy. I started not to like it in the middle, but I loved it again at the end. I just never seem to find a first book to those series though.

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    I love most stuff Robin Hobb have written, havent read the soldiers son trilogy yet, but my mom was really disappointed when she read those. Since they're so different from her other works she said. And from what ive heard, people have a sort of love/hate relationship to those books. Better read the other books of Hobb, like her awesome Farseer trilogy!

4. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Talking about love/hate relationships with books... have you heard of ASoIaF?

5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    It's pure love right now though, but GRRM haven't killed too many people this far. Im just about to finish the second one. <3

6. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    *cackles knowingly*

I've managed to get back into Sophie's World, that is on page in five minutes. Such a slow book to read!

7. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    "The Soldier's Son" is by far the weakest thing Hobb has written in my opinion. The first book is the best of them, and that is still nowhere near as good as her other books. They're definitely worth keeping a look out for, even if it is difficult for you to get hold of them.

8. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd definetly recommend them:p She has the deepest characters I've ever read in my life:O I must admit though, her books seem to have the characters as the plot.
    And Sophie's World...didn't really like that book, probably because there's a passage that pretty much says people who don't think Philosophy are useless and gluttoness (with incredibly insulting imagery). Eh, got the vibe the Author was a teensy bit pretentious.

I like the Soildier Son Trilogy. (But I am a bit of a fanboy) It was nice, definetly not the right word, to read a book from a sexist, and annoying, character's POV. I think her Rain Wild Chronicle isn't up to her usual standard.

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I like Sophie's World, although I took a rather long break whilst reading it. Now that I've gotten back into it I'm going pretty fast and will be onto another book.

What next then? "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, "Silence" by Becca Fitzpatrick, "The Light Fantastic" by Terry Pratchett, or "Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake?

10. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Either Pillars of the earth, or Silence sounds like good choices, little lamb. Pillars of the earth tv series was really nice! if you havent seen it.

And I'm finally on "A storm of swords 1: steel and snow"! I gotta read more than I do! I'm usually not this slow with reading.

11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I finished Silence and started Pillars of the Earth this morning.

You really should read on Emmy. You still have a few large but awesome books to read (I still have the last one to read, but I'm getting it in a few weeks).

12. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    You read fast!

I know, but I cant really find the peace to read, there's always something that needs to be done, work or study, or I sit here xD talking to people. Darn computer!
    I started reading hungergames for some reason, before dinner. Think i might need something simpler to read for now. When my minds filled with other stuff. There's such a huge difference in books, comparing GRRM and hungergames for example. Ill finish hungergames in no time. Might be what i need for now. And take the 'heavier stuff' when I have more time to read.

13. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Emelie

As a matter of interest, am I the only one who thinks her books kind of lags, then has good scenes and then goes crazy during the Games (I'm only on the second one)? I kind of get a little bit bored until something interesting or cinematic (she's bril at that) happens.

I'm actually reading No Job For A woman by Sandra Mara. It's a sort of Authobiography of cases of the first female private invesigator in Ireland. Veryyyy interesting.

She has a case from her father's files detaling how the church hired him to find info about the growing communist society in Ireland. Really, really interesting, since the Church in Ireland was in total control of the country (there's no date given, but I'm guessing it was around 1930-1940, but if even if it was in the 70s...

There was a law that was still enforced until the 70s where a husband could get damages if the male that his wife was cheating with (it's from another chapter of the book) and the areas to be considered the "actual value of the wife to the husband":S Crazy.

14. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    Finished 1984, now on to Neuromancer. The language they use is kinda weird but I like it. It provides the punk half of cyberpunk. Would definitely recommend.

15. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    @Tym, well i finished the first book yesterday, and i really enjoyed it. Thought it would be better though cause of all the hype. But i really wasnt bored or so. But im unsure how the 2nd and 3rd book is gonna keep up the good pace and interest. But not everyone can like all the books, and i dont think youre the only one out there :D

16. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    'losing my brotherhood' by Bobby Long
    It's a collection of poetry

17. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Still on "Pillars of the Earth", it's not the kind of book I feel like reading a lot of at a time, so it's pretty slow going.

I am also reading "An introduction to Computer Science" at the same time (university book) and have finally stopped needing to study for my exams, so now I'll have more time on my hands.

18. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Presently, "Agents of Artifice" (possibly the best Magic: The Gathering novel to date). But I got my hands on a "Redwall" novel out of the bargain bin at work and I cannot wait to get to reading it!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    You have a book bargain bin at work!?!?

20. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    That's funny, half of my Redwall collection was taken out of the bargain bin at my Uni or bought cheaply at second hand book stores.

I'm currently reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Not fantasy but a great read.