What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyria, May 25, 2018.

1. Lyria

Lyria New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thought it would be good to see what you're all reading at the moment (and because it'll hopefully give me ideas for what to read next!)

I just got gifted a book by a friend because she said it's her favourite - The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. Just started reading it but it's pretty good so far, exactly the kind of thing I like.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad.
    I read the story as a kid, but as I'm currently writing a chapter in my book that takes place on a merchant ship, I thought rereading Heart of Darkness would be an enjoyable way to study up on seafaring stuff.

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    I'm greatly enjoin the 1632 series by Eric Flint, about a West Virginian Appalachian coal town called Grantville getting teleported to 1632 Thuringia in Germany during the 30 years war immediately after the sack of Magdeburg. They proceed to make Gustavus Adolphus emperor of the United states of Europe and the Union of Kalmar, save Pope Urban VIII from assassination, get a not guilty verdict for Galileo, set up Committees of Correspondence and a not-communist revolution, start a reverse Kristallnacht featuring the lynching and execution of antisemites, introduce the airplane and zepplin, piss off the Inquisition and turn the Ottomans into a steam punk version of the Mongol Horde, over the next few years. Currently on the Tangled Web, having finished the Dreeson Incident and Galileo Affair and Ram Rebellion. Looking forward to reading the Papal Stakes and the Eastern Front, when they invade Poland and piss off the Tsar.

4. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
  5. Lyria

Lyria New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I didn't see that thread.. there's so many sections of this site I must have missed it and I thought it was an interesting question.

6. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    Eh, no worries I'd say. I haven't started it yet, but I recently acquired a book called Dark Secrets of Japan (I think that's the title) by Antony Cummings, and will probably start that soon

7. Stonk

Stonk Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am reading Megaman Gigamix and Silent Moebius. I will be dipping back into Sonic comics soon enough.

Books are long. :oops:

8. DeGodisKung

DeGodisKung New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Quest" by Boris Akunin. In short: Descendants and predecessors of the prominent detective Erast Fandorin (Character from another series of books from the same author) in a cruel battle for the fate of mankind - mysteries and adventures from the Napoleonic wars to the time of Stalin.

Very interesting, I feel like I am watching a movie while reading. :)