What are some real good fantasy series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by SunBane, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    No, because he created Drizzt as he wrote. The fact that he wrote a prequel does not detract from the fact that the character evolved through the writing.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Drizzt was intitially a side character yes, but the prequels he made work very well. You can still see the character progression. Again, the books flow well like that.

I don't see any advantage to reading them in publication order...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Ok, just dug this up from the deep as I'm planning on a little trip to Forgotten Planet later. Thanks very much for the help. So, Dark Elf series, Homeland is where Met recommends me to start, whereas Unraveller thinks I should start with the Crystal Shard. Right. Ehrm?? Anyone? (I might ask the person in the shop, but people here might know better.)

And whilst being in this thread, I'd highly recommend 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' And 'Red Seas under Red Skies' by Scott Lynch, which are the first two books in the Gentlemen Bastard series. I really enjoyed them, with a more original plot than some. (Less good vs bad than most books :D)

4. Lord Perle

Lord Perle New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anything by Mercedes Lackey. I reccommend the valdemar series, but any of her books are awesome.
    -Lord Perle

5. Ilaelin

Ilaelin The Mother of Dragons

Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest some books for a 13 year old boy. He has read HP, Narnia, Ranger's Apprentice, The Hobbit but found the LOTR series harder to read (I think some parts were just to slow going for him, don't know? :rolleyes: ) and many others. He likes fantasy books and I really want to find books he will enjoy which are also not too mature for him like ASoIaF. Any suggestions would be great. :)

6. whitetrash

whitetrash Trailerpark Pimp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    yes you should check out E.E Knight the age of fire series it is about dragons

• Like Like x 1
  7. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Or Eddings, the Belgariad would be a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Jonathan Stroud's 'Bartimaeus Trilogy' starting with The Amulet of Samarkand. I really liked these around that age.

9. Ilaelin

Ilaelin The Mother of Dragons

Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    Thank you whitetrash, Unraveller and Lyanna I think we will head to the Library to see what we can find! :)

10. Saphira

Saphira New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Someone mentioned "Dragonlance". I haven't heard of it, but it sounds cool. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    His Dark Materials Trilogy is very good Fantasy books.
    :dragon:

/"Saphira"

11. Arya

Arya New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I just copied this whole post that I made in a similar thread a few days ago ... it still stands ... even the part about needing more coffee!

Katharine Kerr - The Deverry Cycle, The Westlands Cycle, The Dragon Mage, The Silver Wyrm. Absolutely fantastic series. It's 4 small sets, but they all fit together into one huge epic. Absolutely masterful.

The individual books are (in order) - Daggerspell, Darkspell, The Bristling Wood, The Dragon Revenant, A Time of Exile, A Time of Omens, Days of Blood and Fire, Days of Air and Darkness, The Red Wyvern, The Black Raven, The Fire Dragon, The Gold Falcon, The Spirit Stone, The Shadow Isle (not sure if this one is out yet).

Not sure where you're hailing from, but if you're in the US, those are the correct titles. Alternative titles were published in the UK, and I'm happy to provide those if you need them.

I absolutely cannot say enough good things about Katharine Kerr's writing in this series. I urge everybody to read it, and if I were a rich woman, would buy sets upon sets of the books to give to people. I think every fantasy fan should definitely have this one on their shelves. It is without a doubt, my favorite series of all time.

Another series that I nudge people towards is Juliet Marillier's "Sevenwaters Trilogy" ... Juliet has an exceptional talent of blending celtic myth/folk tales into her stories, and the result is always superb. She hasn't disappointed me yet. Also check out Wolfskin and Foxmask (Foxmask follows Wolfskin) by her as well.

If you haven't started The Wheel of Time yet, honestly, I wouldn't bother. This is just my personal opinion, but by book 6 - just halfway through, I was frustrated and bored and just wanted it to end, and felt that a lot of it was unnecessary filler. The first two books were absolutely brilliant, and as far as I'm concerned, it just all went downhill from there. Most people I know, have abandoned it - myself included. I did buy the 11th book, and still can't bring myself to read it. It needed a lot less gambling, arrogance, face-slapping, simpering and braid-tugging, and a lot more movement towards conclusion. Of course though, all of that is just my personal opinion.

Stepping away from the standard fantasy formula, I'm going to recommend Charles De Lint. He largely writes modern-day fantasy, with some traditional celtic elements, and has a way of roping you in, and you can't help but relate to a lot of his characters. My favorites of his are his Newford books, not a series but you can track characters through stand-alone books, and it's always a joy to see them re-appear. I suggest Someplace to be Flying, Trader, Memory and Dream, Tapping the Dream Tree, Spirits in the Wires, The Onion Girl, Widdershins .... Oh heck, just everything the man ever wrote.

Ok, more coffee. Definitely need more coffee now.