What are some real good fantasy series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by SunBane, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Salvatore....romance covers? Lol what on earth have you been looking at?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That look romantic? :p

Seriously though, the Drizzt books are an amazing series.

2. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    rofl... Okay.. maybe it was a quick glance.. and the airbrushed cover with the waving hair; who knows.

Thank you for the opinion on the book. I was doing some research last night; and there seems to be PLA Lenty (plenty) of books to keep me busy for a while. Since I already bought the first of the Weather Warden, I will still give it a try. But now I have two other series I can start in the event that I find it a flat read.

3. Thea

Thea Dream Chaser/Bookworm

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wow - there's a lot of great recommendations here. I see that Anne Mcaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series has a mention, which would have been my first suggestion, but I'll also add Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. Whilst I haven't read all of the books yet, I've thoroughly enjoyed those I have read. I know they don't have magic and suchlike in them, but the dragons more than make up for that in my opinion. I'd definitely recommend anything by Terry Pratchett and Robin Hobb, too.

4. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmm.. Dragonriders of Pern was on my Amazon wish list. But some recent discoveries made me delete them from my list. I like long series that will keep me busy for a couple of months (I can typically read a 300 page book in two to three days, if I am on vacation.. well that is a different story)

Have you read any of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series?

5. Thea

Thea Dream Chaser/Bookworm

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No, not yet - they're on my to-be-read list, though (which seems to be getting larger these days - even more so now). I'll have to rearrange it one of these days and put it into some kind of order! From what I've heard, they sound like a good read.

6. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they definately are. I know what you mean about your reading list though. With in the last 12 hours my list has almost doubled... I just hope that work slows down enough that I can find time to read them ;)

I tend to come in on the tail end of the series, hearing good things about a book that is fourth or fifth in line. Me, being somewhat obessive about things, I have to go to the very first book in a series.. to make sure that I understand the whole picture. (I don't like "Holes" in a story line.. or asking now why did he do that?)

Someone recommened the Legend of Drizzit.. and my goodness.. To start from the beginning.. well it seems to me a bit overwhelming. However, that is probably a series/ collection that I will eventually pick up or get from the library.

7. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I just completed that trilogy, and really enjoyed it. So I'll warmly recommend it as a more brain-holiday book, not very complicated plot, though thorough, and a great end. ( I always find that completing a book, I tend to get f'ed off with the end, this is really no the case here...)

Do you really find any blood and gore in LOTR? I've always thought its a lot more heroic mythology kind of thing, without any touching descriptions of bowels etcetera.

So I'm getting a bit interested in this Salvatore thing, could anyone compare his works with anyone else's?

8. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you really find any blood and gore in LOTR? I've always thought its a lot more heroic mythology kind of thing, without any touching descriptions of bowels etcetera.

Well, to be honest.. no there really wasn't much descriptive gore in LOTR, but the way Tolkein describes the action... added with the cinematic pictures...kind of let you paint your own picture.

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    hmm not read any of Mercedes (not even heard of her) and I have hardly started on the Pern novels (though I would be interested to know what discoveries resulted in the removal of them?)
    BUT I will put in a big second for Temeraie and Naomi Novik! A brilliant start to a series and a wonderful first publication - I definatly will be following her works from now onwards *as opposed to many other authors who I am catching up with still ;))
    bah - another page ;)
    I thought LotR described battle, but not in the gore and bowels way that George RR Martin does - LotR battles are heroic and whilst very bloody not gory

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    GRR Martin focuses on rape, incest and other such things rather than gore it seems...

Arelin: If God made an avatar of himself on Earth and wrote fantasy novels you would have produced the Drizzt series by Salvatore. :p

Hmm can't really compare him to anyone, but he has some good things to highlight. Great sense of character building (expecially Drizzt) as he provides rich and interesting introspection. His fight scenes are just awesome, and he provides a lot of interesting characters. Hell even the bad guys are awesome!

11. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well... I just came back from Borders (laundry and grocery shopping). While they didn't have Legend of Drizzit on the shelves (and yes, I checked in all of their "secret" sections) I picked up the "Legacy of the Drow". While researching the series, I found myself lost and confused trying to find the beginning book timeline wise. I generally like to start at the beginning...but from what I understand of the Forgotten Realms.. There really is no true beginning.

As I curl up on the couch with my soda and cigs... wish me luck! ;)

12. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Umm, I told you yesterday, the first of the series would be considerd The Dark Elf series, but I guess starting near the end is cool too lol

13. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Umm.. I don't recall you telling me that Nox ;) Well...if I am coming on on the end of the series.. I will just go back to the Dark Elf to go from the beginning.

To be honest... I was just antsy to read SOMETHING... and since UPS is closed this weekend, I had to wait till at least tomorrow to pick up Weather Warden.

Really, tho.. I do appreciate the help... I will be sure to go back to Dark Elf.. thanks.

14. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    It's your choice, don't feel like I'm presuring you....
    DO IT!DO IT!DO IT YOU WUSS!

Hehe just kidding, seriously, no presure *polishes his two foot long carving knife*

15. Árëlin Milloway

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0

Yes Met, I think we are all aware of your views on ASoIaF... :p

I like books with good (as in cool) bad guys, I might go and have a look some Salvatore books.
    So I can see there's a slight confusion, which book/series should I start on?

:draught:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
  17. Árëlin Milloway

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, thanks, that's really useful! Dark Elf Trilogy: Homeland is one of the next on my to get list then.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    What? You haven't got it yet? The moment you knew which one you should ran to the shop and bought it!

19. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yes there is! That site lists the books in order of Drizzt's age in them, NOT in the order in which they were written. The Crystal Shard and the rest of the Icewind Dale series is where you should start.

As an aside, Salvatore writes good characters and fight scenes but tends to severely overuse some very tired plot lines as the books go on.

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The chronological order is a superior reading order to the publishing order. It has a better flow.

I recommend starting with Dark Elf Trilogy as it provides a sound base to start from and makes it easier to see how Drizzt becomes what he is.

The books are not the amazing revlotionary pioneering pieces of work you'll come across, but they're a pretty good read.