What are some real good fantasy series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by SunBane, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Then I've only one more author to mention ('cos I restrained myself in my last post). The God of gods, the King of kings, the greatest literary mind on the face of this planet (at least at the moment).... Terry Pratchett.

2. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I would like it known that Unravellers taste rulles all, thank you for your time.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Meteorain:-
    Broadly speeking you are correct, however without Tintaglia ,and all that went on to free her ,the Tawny Man trilogy would have to be re written as in the end it all comes down to re introducing dragons back into the world.
    Stone/Skilling created ones in the 1st trilogy.
    Sea worms/Rain Wilds river and Live Ships being created from embryonic dragonlings in the 2nd trilogy.
    Finally getting Tintaglia and the dragon in the ice (sorry it's name escapes me), to re breed baby dragons in the 3rd.
    The trilogies were all about re breeding dragons, thats what the Fool or whatever/whoever he/she was was doing in Bingtown and obviously when you think about it thats what Fitz was being used for ,by the Fool ,in the other 2 trilogies.
    All 3 drew the reader to that final point, after which fools quest was complete then so were the 3 trilogies .
    Fool and his /her quest was, maybe subliminaly ,but never the less the lead character and it's his/her story, not Fitzs' that is being told throughout the 3 trilogies.

Y/N

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    err it provides a really big dragon! (its on the covers of the books - I am not spoiling!)
    ahem - fool is male ( or as close to male as his species gets) - 2 reasons:
    1) its the TawnyMAN trillogy - ;)
    2) there is the white woman - who is always and never questioned as being a femal - and the fool was her opposite - thus male

Also, one can read the 2 series without Liveships, but you miss out on loads of points and things - and reading it after would give it a weaker feeling. Further, I think Tawnyman would seem a little farfetched in world biulding terms to a reader that has come straight from the first trillogy - so much of the later story is reliant on info and events which happended in Liveships

ps - there is also more in the world of the Bingtown Traders (well Rainwalders) comming from Hobb :):)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I used Tawny because it's shorter and the people in context already know the true title (if we're picking up on such things, trilogy is spelt only with a single l). As I said, the Liveships books can be omitted and the Fitz one's can still be completely understood. I had read Farseer and Tawny before Liveship, and was not at a loss for anything. After reading the Liveship I understood certain concepts in more detail, but nothing that was really pertaining to the plot of the Tawny trilogy.

I wouldn't say that you got a weaker feeling on the Fitz books, if anything they made them seem better since the Liveship books were quite poor in comparison (only really liked Kennit). I found the continuation fine, it's easy to imagine things have changed a lot over several years due to the fact that the whole way things were done was a massive change. Again imo there's nothing you really "rely" on from the Liveships. The books are perfectly understandeable without them.

Then again, reading the Liveship books might help appreciate the greatness of the other two, since you can see that Fitz books are good, and the Liveship not really that good.

6. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Liveships are a good series, with a different slant than the Fitz books - but I will agree that liveships seems to get a little bogged down in the second book - I found it a little hard going to remain interested - but the third book picked up the slack well enough. I think the biggest disapointment was the Athea (sp) seemed to lose something of her original character through the book - something that Malta and Wintro picked up. I liked the change in the latter 2 characters, but I did not like the change in Athea.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The thing that really kept me going was that bastard Kennit. He was such a great villain, and his scenes were really fun to read.

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    yep Kennit was a great character in that series!
    you really could envision him as a character - and he was mad in a more original way of mad!
    I also like the serpent sections as well - the view of the world from another angle - be interesting to see if any of them return in the new book - what will they be like?

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Who knows? Will just have to wait and see.

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I ahte waiting ;)

Well to bring the thread back on track:
    For a dark tale of fantasy - seek out The Black Jewels Trillogy by Anne Bishop - though be warned - statan is the good guy! (ok its bible based in the sense that names and ideas are taken - though its not a god vs satan book!)

11. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Got that, has anybody read The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. LeGuin?I hear it's good...

12. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hmmm.. to be honest, I am surprised that the Artemis Fowl series hasn't been mentioned. While I am a late comer into the fantasy series; I found this set to be very entertaining. It sort of brings a contemporary feel to the fantasy world.

I just picked up the first of the "Weather Warden" series. Since one of my many passions is weather, I figured this might be a good direction to head. Haven't read it yet, but seems pretty good.

I also have read Mercedes Lackey "Elvenborn" series. This was interesting, but had too much taste of a romance novel for my liking. Not that I don't like romance, but that was not what I was looking for.

However, the whole entire Valdemar serires from Lackey was captivating. With each triology, you learned a different aspect of the empire; through stages of time. I also enjoyed reading the supplements; where she delved into specific characters and their history.

13. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I've read the Weather Warden, I can't say many good things about it, it feels rather flat to me, I like the djinn and the whole controling weather concept, but the whole story is not really fullfilling, but that's just my opinion.

And yes Artemis Fowl is great, I very much agree with that.

14. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :confused:
    I appreciate your feedback on the Weather Warden. Although, that really disappoints me. I have been away from reading for awhile. To be honest, since I finished Harry Potter, I haven't been able to find something to captivate me.

My cousin and I started a project reading Milton's Paradise Lost. While I enjoyed the discussions we had; work got very busy for me and he got a new girlfriend; so Milton has been collecting dust on my shelves.

I have been looking into other series as well.. such as The Wheel of Time. There is something about the springtime that awakens my desire to read. I have been lurking here on this site, to see what others are reading; hoping that I can find my next adventure.

Again... thanks for the feedback. :)

15. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Did you try The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud?
    The way it was writen is quite refreshing and the story is also exelent, HP was my favorite series until I've read these books, so I warmly suggest them.

16. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep... I agree.. that triology is awesome.. Actually read them, along with Pullman's Amber Spyglass in between the hp series. I used to delve into the science fiction.. mainly Stephen King.. but honestly no genre has held me this long as the fantasy realm..

To add to my list, I have also read Faerie Wars (both of them), Chronicles of Narnia, and the entire Lord of the Rings. I like to go back to the classics on which modern day writers started from. I find some of the correlations to their styles of writing similar in the beginning... then they develope in their own ways. ( the author I mean)

Have you read "the Wheel of Time"?

17. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    No, the wheel turns for 13 books, which is quite a considerable span so I have not yet given it a go.

Have you tried The Legend of Drizzit series(Forgotten Realms) by Salvatore?I'm reading it right now and I'm quite enjoying it myself.

18. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, Salvatore scares me. Why? I am not sure. I think I bought a book of his, which included something like four or more of his novels. From what I remember, it was a story about a dwarf community; which initially caught my eye. I read like 80 pages of it; and returned it back to Borders.

Normally, I give books a fair chance. Take Tithe for instance. Now that was a FLAT read. In fact, I think I read that 5 books after I picked up the other book mentioned (to be honest, I can't even say that it was Salvatore for sure). I felt so bad about returning the other one, that I forced myself to finish Tithe. UGH. What normally takes me two to three days to finish.. took two to three weeks! Never again.

From surfing on this forum, though, Salvatore seems to be a prominent author that I should try. I will read Weather Warden once I pick it up (bought it from b&n with a gift card online.. waiting for me at the UPS center). I have a substantial amount of gift cards for borders.. perhaps I will take a gander over there tomorrow and pick one up.

How do you find Salvatore's writing overall?

19. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Quite enjoyable, he's very good with getting the story across with optimal amount of all the elements (action, adventure, character depth etc.) without getting repeative.

The Dark Elf series is the first of Salvatores that one should read, that is my opinion.
    But this is adult fantasy, so you're bound to find gore and some really messed up things.

20. mickitaz

mickitaz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, blood and gore don't bother me. Come on, LOTR had plenty of THAT ;) Sorry it took a while for me to reply...I was googling salvatore in between posts. Don't ask me why, but for some reason I thought Salvatore was associated with the whole scientology thing. (okay, so religion is not my strong point). And while I was always taught "you should never judge a book by its cover" his cover art seems a bit on the romance novel side. Not that I have anything against romance novels (trust me, I have read my fair share of them too) but that is not what I am looking for right now.

From what I have researched so far, Legend of Drizzit is in a series. At the moment, I can't find the first of them.. Do you have any idea what the first one is?