What are some real good fantasy series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by SunBane, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking of reading a fantasy series but not sure where to start. Any suggestions? And please dont just put something like "HARRY POTTER ROXORZ!!!11!12!!1!!!!ONE", just a brief description of the series and it's awesomeness will do. Btw, I've already ready all the Harry Potter books, the entire Chronicles of Narnia, the LotR trilogy, and a couple of other non-series fantasy books.

2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Re: What are some real grood fantasy series?

A good starter series for a fantasy lover is: Llyod Alexander's The Book of Three and here is a brief description.

The tale of Taran, assistant pig keeper, has been entertaining young readers for generations. Set in the mythical land of Prydain (which bears a more than passing resemblance to Wales), Lloyd Alexander's book draws together the elements of the hero's journey from unformed boy to courageous young man. Taran grumbles with frustration at home in the hamlet Caer Dallben; he yearns to go into battle like his hero, Prince Gwydion. Before the story is over, he has met his hero and fought the evil leader who threatens the peace of Prydain: the Horned King.

What brings the tale of Taran to life is Alexander's skillful use of humor, and the way he personalizes the mythology he has so clearly studied. Taran isn't a stick figure; in fact, the author makes a point of mocking him just at the moments when he's acting the most highhanded and heroic. When he and the young girl Eilonwy flee the castle of the wicked queen Achren, Taran emotes, "'Spiral Castle has brought me only grief; I have no wish to see it again.' 'What has it brought the rest of us?' Eilonway asked. 'You make it sound as though we were just sitting around having a splendid time while you moan and take on.'" By the end, Alexander has spun a rousing hero's tale and created a compelling coming-of-age story. Readers will sigh with relief when they realize The Book of Three is only the first of the chronicles of Prydain.

3. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

yeah....but what's it about? Other than the pigs, it just sounds like any other "boy becomes hero" story =/ And why are there 2 of this thread? o_O

4. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Read the books of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I am obsessed with those books.

5. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

You can trust my brother in nine on this. They are real good, espesially if you haven't read too much fantasy before. Another thing: make sure to read them from the start or you will become terribly confused.

Then of course there is Eddings. If you like hero's greater than life and heroines who most of the time can save themselves try the Elemium with Sparhawk.

6. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

but what are they all about?

7. Thalador

Thalador Marshal of the West

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If you want to read a good fantasy series, start off with the Riftwar Sage, by Raymond E. Feist.

Other good series are Winds of the Forelands, by David B. Coe, The Sword the Ring, and the Chalice, by Deborah Chester, and the Runelords, by David Farland. So start googling.

8. whitetrash

whitetrash Trailerpark Pimp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

man some great series are the Shannara series by Terry Brooks,and Malazan the book of the fallen by steven erikson :tool:

9. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Brave men:fightyou:
    Lovely ladies:angel1:
    Evil strong:devilspin
    Foreign lands:alien:
    god's and ancient lore:halo:
    Love won and lost:devilbat:
    Trust and betrayel:eek:

All those and more of all the elements that make heroic fantasy the wonderful thing that it is.

10. breds

breds New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I dont know if anyone suggested The Barimaeus Trilogy.......about Wizards an Djinni in England.

Redwall about animals in medieval battle....cooler than i made it sound.

The Rangers Apprentice #1 an #2....three isnt out till next summer. About a boy learning to be an apprentice, knights, warfare etc.

Gideon.....shame on me but theres only the first one out an i didnt realize it till it was too late an i was hooked. Its about travel back in time.

11. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0

I agree with HI here. Eddings writes some great books. His style is quite different to others, and actually quite humorous and lax. Their good books...trust :p

12. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

finally, someone who listens when I ask what a series is about. The Barimaeus Trilogy sounds cool. I'll have to look for that in the library this weekend

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cåim

Cåim Fallen Jedi

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I think the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. Another good one is the Wheel of Time b Robert Jordan.

14. whitetrash

whitetrash Trailerpark Pimp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The legend of Asahiel by eldon thompson book I called the crimson sword
    the age of man has begun The unesirable creatures of legend have driven from their lands magic has been forsaken,the old gods reduced to myth.Now humans will rule the kingdoms of the island continent of Pentania .But the are not alone.

and theonly eleve so far are caniballs

15. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Since when has Lord of the Rings been a trilogy? As far as I know, it's one book ;) Or, six books. The only trilogy I know of regarding Lord of the Rings is the film, which was split up into 3 because it needed it for length reasons

I can only emphasise David Eddings again. He is sheer brilliance, creates very real heroic characters, with realistic flaws. There are often a number of protagonists, which make a very interesting style of writing. Heroic fantasy, not typical high fantasy, as it's mainly only humans (no dragons and elves and stuff), and the magic is discreet, not OTT, all pwerful wizards. There is also generally a theme of continuation after/through destruction/death. Very complete novels. The kind of novels that, after having finished reading them, you feel satisfied (rather than being on a high and wanting more more more)

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0

Indeed - Eddings was a wonderful writer. Don't get me wrong, but I can't even make myself finish the Elder Gods, his latest series, these days...

Terry Brooks is also a good way to go. It's sort of a good vs evil story, but it's quite excellent. Shea of the Vale, along with a few trusted companions, have to go face the Warlock Lord and defeat him once and for all.

I would recommend George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, but there's a couple problems - one, I have no idea how old you are, and it's not something I'd feel comfortable recommending to anyone younger than I am (16), and two, I'm not sure how you feel about complicated series. A Song of Ice and Fire doesn't have one principal character; it's got dozens. As for the plot, it all boils down to this - everyone's trying to take over the throne of Westeros. Otherwise, it's filled with political intrigue, and very little of the "fantasy ideals" such as romance, justice, etc. Often as not, the good guys die - just like in real life. And that's why I love the series, but like I said, I'm not sure if you would enjoy it. It's filled with "language", sex, and violence, and although I started the series at 14, I'm not sure if you would like to.

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0

Magic is not OTT? Don't you remember what power Sparhawk is given by that blue dude? But yea apart from that it's not too great :p

But I agree...Eddings is fantastic, one of the best writing styles as of yet. Characters are real, with flaws and the rest of the package. Not to mention he has a great way of putting a lot of humour into his books =]

18. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

GAH, too many choices >_< I'm gonna read The Time Machine >_>

btw, I'm 19

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0

Then go ahead and read ASoIaF. ;) :D

20. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I dunno, "political intrigue" reminds me of Star Wars Episode I and Gungans >_<