Weekly Writing Circle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turambar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hello Writers,

I thought it'd be a splendid idea to start a sort of a writing circle. Although we've all written something before, I thought it would be very educative to do it together.

The idea is that every week or other arbitrary unit of time, one of it's members would post an idea for a short scene or act, which all the members will write. At the end of the week, we all post our results. Now, the educative bit would, of course, be to see how different people adapt different styles and ways to describe the same events. You will find that, having faced the same problems, you will appreciate the way other people solve these. Maybe pick up some tricks along the way. Use of language, use of style, plot development and suspension. Each of the stories will be different in their own unique way.

Now, this is just an idea in the make, everyone can suggest ideas to make this a nice project. But first, I think it's a good idea to ask if people are interested in this in the first place. 's not worth while when I'm the only one writing stories. I reckon we need at least about 4-5 people to make this thing into a success.

Sooo... anyone?

2. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I think it seems like a very good idea! :D
    However, one week, is maybe a short time-limit for some people... [like me]
    But I would consider to join in, although I don't have much time to write...

3. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I like it. Althou I have to agree that a week might be a bit short, It will depend on the length of the scene I think

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It sounds interesting and I would like to sign up. Thing is, I hope we don't have to commit ourselves everytime, since I'm lazy aswell as have homework, so do we just supply and idea and see who responds.

Ditto on the week length aswell. On the other hand, a week seems like a good timescale, since it doesn't mean we have to wait too long!

5. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Count me in! Im good with a week, but whatever the rest of you want.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    hey, nice to see some people interested in this :)

What I was imagining was short stories, of between 2000 and 5000 words, depending on the story and the writers preference. Any more would go beyond it's goal. Besides, it's generally accepted that saying more with less words is always better then the other way around. Limiting yourself is actually a good thing.

With a cap of 5000 words, one week might be a little too short for some writers. Apparently, professional writers do between 1000 and 2500 words a day, which would mean 5 evenings worth of writing. Maybe two weeks would be more realistic. Besides, reading all the stories and possibly commenting on them takes another evening.

But, brave as I may sound, I'm not the only one involved. I mean, what do you want this circle to be? I thought it would be fun to tackle another type of writing issue each episode. A writer needs to master a lot of skills; from plot development to tedious dialogues; from cliff hanging to landscaping and from character development to page-filling non-sense. And although the Fantasy genre would be obvious as a background, maybe we want to cover some other areas of literature as well. And how many degrees of freedom do you guys(/gals) want? I can't read your mind people, input please :)

7. Oeufa

Oeufa Cracked Egg

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    It sound like great fun! Can I join? :D I would be ok with a week, but it would mean a putting a lot more time into writing than usual. Two sounds good.

I think freedom-wise, we should have more or less as much as we want, although of course trying to keep to the characters personalities as much as suits them seen in the intro...

8. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is how *I* think it should be run:
    Once every two weeks someone writes a short story and posts it. Before they write it, the other writers come up with WHAT they are going to write (genre, loose main character, ending, whatever) without that writers opinion. This will increase the writers skill tremendously. Though it may not be fun sometimes, you will be forced to write things you would have to write in reality anyway.
    As in regard to the genre thing, though, I think we should keep it to fantasy unless the author specifies they want something else. This is a fantasy forum, after all.

I think we should all write something like I have, explaining what YOU want, and decide from there.

9. Oeufa

Oeufa Cracked Egg

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow this thread really died over the last few weeks! Anyway, to follow Wraths example, I'll put down here how I think the writing thread should go.

To begin, we all nominate someone to come up with a random theme for everyone to write about or a phrase to be included in the story or a title for the work (eg: "Write a scene where someone dies" or "Include the phrase "You're next!" in the piece", or "Use Stormy Weather as your title"). Then we all go off for 2 weeks or whatever time-span is chosen, and write about it. After that, we all come back and post up our results, and then vote who we think *wins*. All that means is they wrote the most original or the best expressed one. The winner then chooses the next topic for writing about, and makes it as different as possible to the previous one.

So I agree with Wrath about keeping it to fantasy at any rate. Please post up your ideas everyone about how you think it should be run so we can get started!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  10. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't mind joining this, it sounds well thought out at least.

11. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I agree, just make sure to set a limit on how long the piece should be.

12. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok please, no one else join. If we are doing this this should be the max amount of members we have (too much would get us nowhere).
    Now for the electing. The chosen will choose someone else (lets go from the first post straight to the bottom, in order of who posts, just to be fair), as well as a:
    Phrase
    Topic
    Theme
    Title
    Character
    Other (please make sure its not to crazy)

for the person to write. That person will have 2 weeks, at which (hopefully exactly 2 weeks after they say 'Ok, I'll write this' or whatever) they post it here. Lets say stories should be between 1,500 and 5,000 words. That seems reasonable, and gives alot to work with (BTW if you didn't know, almost all publishers want SHORTER short stories, as it allows them to cramp as much as possible in the smallest place. Trust me, I've sent alot to publishers :p)

As for my vote, I elect Lord_Croanan to go first.

(And when I say fantasy, I mean to incorporate Sci-Fi in there as well. So anything SF&F)

13. Oeufa

Oeufa Cracked Egg

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I vote master wrath to go first

14. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'll gladly go first if the others choose me

15. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So is that a vote for yourself?

16. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Huh, as selfish as that sounds sure, I'll go/vote myself if no-one else really wants to.

17. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  18. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Seconded as in you're voting for yourself, or Croanan?
    Either way we might as well let Croanan start, he got 2 votes (lol I know its pathetic, but its better than the rest of us :p).
    I think you should write a story about a magical sword. Let's start out with an easy cliche :p

19. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Actually using a cliche in a new innovative way is very hard. This could be a very interesting challenge. And I was seconding his own vote lol

20. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So he is definately going first. I still say he should write a story about a magical sword and have it done by Sunday in two weeks.