weapons of the enemy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Rexone13, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Wk Blade

The other mace was for Sauron. The person who posted this link mislabeled it as a mace.

2. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeh i knew that but in the ROTK movie Wk uses that thing like a mace when he swings it around but i wasnt really sure! ok thanks again!

Rexone :stupid:

3. Cromat

Cromat Ash nazg durbatuluk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One thing I noticed about Sauron's Mace is that the picture name is Grond. Does it say in the Weapon and Warfare book that Sauron's Mace is Grond? (Grond is the hammer of the underworld that Morgoth used against Fingolfin is the Sill.)

4. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure does. I didn't know this. Just goes to show you learn alot at this forum. Heres a quote: "Its appearance on the battlefield would have greatly intimidated the Elves, who would have well recalled Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, which was carried by Morgoth in the First Age and which claimed so many high-born of the Eldar." I recommend this book to anyone. Its a treasure trove of information.

5. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

im definetly am like dying for this book to ship! i hear that the pics look sreally great in this book too! do you have the hardcover or softcover edition? i ordered the hardcover cuz i dont rela lyk my paperbak books! ok well post bak! oh and i love your avatar cromat!

6. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didn't know there was a softcover. I own the hard cover. It has lots of pictures, stats for all the swords, and their histories. Theres even two page illustration sequences for the major battles.

7. Cromat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, this mace is more than just a large piece of metal on a stick. It has some history.

"Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a 'lightning shoots from under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.
    But at the last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon hint Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all rent and pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck, and the weight of it was like a fallen hill. Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gashed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.
    Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old. The Orcs made no boast of that duel at the gate; neither do the Elves sing of it, for their sorrow is too deep. Yet the tale of it is remembered still, for Thorondor King of Eagles brought the tidings to Gondolin, and to Hithlum afar off. And Morgoth took the body of the Elven-king and broke it, and would cast it to his wolves; but Thorondor came hasting from his eyrie among the peaks of the Crissaegrim, and he stooped upon Morgoth and marred his face. The rushing of the wings of Thorondor was like the noise of the winds of Manwכ, and he seized the body in his mighty talons, and soaring suddenly above the darts of the Orcs he bore the King away. And he laid him upon a mountain-top that looked from the north upon the hidden valley of Gondolin; and Turgon coming built a high cairn over his father. No Orc dared ever after to pass over the mount of Fingolfin or draw nigh his tomb, until the doom of Gondolin was come and treachery was born among his kin. Morgoth went ever halt of one foot after that day, and the pain of his wounds could not be healed; and in his face was the scar that Thorondor made."
    -The Fall of Fingolfin, The Silmarillion.

8. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

wow dude i think i got a while to go before i get into the simarillion! it just sounds so complicated and complex! more power to you if you understand it! BUT in that book does it say anything about grond being the big battering ram at pelenor fields?

rexone :stupid:

9. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow. Thanks a bunch, Cromat. I had no idea how deep the history was for this mace. I must have it in my collection.

10. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

haha "must have the precious" ok and we are talking about saurons mace still right? im gettin confused! because this convo started off talking about the WK mace so some one set this straight! plez! haha

11. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep. Were talking about Sauron's Mace which is also known as Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld.

12. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeh but grond is also the name of the battering ram correct!?

rexone

13. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

i like saurons mace also but its my job to tell you folks to stay on topic. sry

14. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

saurons mace is not grond it is a representation of grond "this would have intemidated the elves remembering grond the hammer of the underworld" this statement is false in 2 ways the first way is that no elf except fingolfin ever saw grond and secondly why would the orcs name the battering ram grond after the "ANCIENT" hammer of the underworld.secondly i like witchkings weapons better then saurons stuff

15. Cromat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The battering ram was named by the orcs Grond in memory of their creator's powerful weapon.

"The drums rolled louder. Fires leaped up. Great engines crawled across the field; and in the midst was a huge ram, great as a forest-tree a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains. Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, and its hideous head, founded of black steel, was shaped in the likeness of a ravening wolf; on it spells of ruin lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old." - Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Second of all, it is possible that Grond was taken as booty from Angband and maybe later stolen by Sauron as he asked for pardon (unlikely, but possible). But what does the book say? Does it say that Sauron's mace was SIMILIAR to Grond or was it Grond itself?

16. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

well i think that saurons mace was similar to grond on how it imtimidated the elves not that it WAS the actual mace!

Rexone

17. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

well the book says that saurons mace was etched with the minas morgul plant design since there was no minas morgul when grond was nade i think that its not grond

18. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeh. i think it just put the same fear in elves that the original hammer of the underworld did, so they just kept using the name grond so it would have the same effect. atleast this is my take on things!

Rexone

19. Cromat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I want that mace so bad. Too bad it would cost a fortune because it's a very limited piece (1500 units worldwide...).

20. Rexone13

Rexone13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WAIT! theyve already made the mace?? what website (not gonna buy it but im jus curious)