Weapons, knives, handmade

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by steelpounder, Aug 4, 2018.

1. steelpounder

steelpounder Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are there other weapons makers here? You don't have to be a blacksmith. Stock reduction, repurposing used knives/machetes, building muzzleloaders, etc. I don't consider people who buy all the parts premade and assemble knives "makers". A lot of the stuff for muzzleloaders is beyond any but skilled machinists I think; but I could be wrong

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain Stranger in a Strange Land

Ratings:
    +428 / 3 / -10
    There used to be a couple around who were into smithing, and by "into" I mean "participated in". I would like to become a hobbyist at some point but swinging a hammer in my 800 square ft apartment just isn't going to happen. I know there are workshops and stuff you can rent out by the hour or whatever, but really I don't know anything past "There are different types of steel and depending on what you use increases/decreases the hardness and sharpness". I'm really into the idea of homesteading and self-reliance and smithing falls into that sort of realm or at least in its orbit. So it is something I'm curious to learn about. But no, I'm not a maker :p

3. steelpounder

steelpounder Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    RayCaptain. An easy way to get started is to get a file from a junk shop or a cheap one from harbor freight. Some cheap files are the right hardness for a knife. Nicholson or other high quality files are too hard. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show you how to make a knife from a file with minimal tools and no forge.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Having watched Forged in Fire on the TV and a few others (there's a great channel on youtube done by one of the big Hollywood smiths and they produce a fantasy sword every so often and its very interesting to see what they do to get different creative effects) I've got a certain passing interest in smithing.

However I've neither the money nor time to really invest in it at this stage - I'd like to one day give it a shot but chances are it won't be for many years. It's certainly a very interesting skill and its really neat to see what people have created and how - even when its just a simple knife or other blade or object.

Do you produce your own stuff Steel? If so it would be great to see some of your creations :)

5. steelpounder

steelpounder Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a few videos on YouTube. K R knfmkr is my channel