Weapons and Warfare book.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Elvenblademaster, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sure gandalf I can get you a good pic of Aiglos. But thats what I am saying we all want to see good pics of these weapons and if you write a book about them you ought to supply the very best detailed pics. They will probebly come out with other editions that are like devoted just to one race, ya know one for the men one for the elves, dwarves, orcs and maybe throw hobbits in there somewhere.

2. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    here is a pretty good pic of aiglos, also Haldirs sword, gilgalads shield, and an elven warrior sword and shield.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  3. gandalf101

gandalf101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh! Thanks a bunch Elvenblademaster. This is the first real pic of aiglos i have ever seen. I appreciate this very much!

4. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No problem, glad you like it.

5. zeb

zeb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    everyone just needs to relax and remember that its a freakin story, everyone is going to interperet it differently, and if you didn't like the arms and armour book, well, i don't see anyone who is making you read it right. i personally liked the fact that they made it more into a documentary than just a bunch of pictures from the movie. it adds to the realism, if you wanted the movie guide, you should have gotten the movie guide,
    zeb

• Like Like x 1
  6. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Kinda new to be shootin your mouth off eh?

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm not new. And I agree with him. It's a book, some misinformation, but I haven't seen any contradictions unless they are Book vs. Movie ones.

If there can be a metal (mithril) that is lighter than aluminum but stronger than steel, why can't there be a wooden bow that can the flex of a 300 pound pull without that much force needed to pull it?

And although the weight in a bows poundage is proportional to say, the weight of dog food as mentioned below, it does not have the mass to become cumbersome. It is instead a tiring operation of forearm strength. And although bows do have that amount of poundage, that does not meanthe bow will be fully drawn. Not every shot has to be fired at full poundage.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  8. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The WW book I believe is written in a way that this is how things would be if it were all true!! I say this because I had an argument with some one on Eomers armor and what it was made out of, I said leather and this person quoted the book saying it was plate covered in boiled leather, who am I to argue with that! So I bought the book and that is what the book said! No problem! Now I have been working with an armorer who is making me a set af armor very similar to Eomer's. This armorer is based in L.A and has many contacts and customers that we have all heard of!!!! He emailed me yesterday that for each of the characters in the films 30 sets of armor 10 for the character 10 for the stunt doubles and 10 for fighting scenes. NONE of these were made of steel!!!! For instance Eomers was made out of formed plastic covered in leather and for his stunt doubles and fight scene armor is made out of rubber.. This should tell eveyone that that book is written as if it were all true!!!! Remember this is all fantasy!

The English longbows were anywhere from 100-175lbs. but remember life was harder people were stronger no machines to do the work!!! and the longbow men were peasants an entire life of HARD work of which most of our lives couldn't compare!!!

9. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Folks here are two web sties that mention poundage of bows of history.
    http://www.archers.org/longbow.htm scroll down to description of bow 80 - 120 pounds.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/27344/history.htm Mongol bows of 70 - 160 pounds.
    You will notice that the poundage mentioned is well above 100 pounds, and these are not modern compund bows! The first reference makes mention that an archer only considers themselfs to be of quality if they can consistently hit targets at 200 yards. From personal experience I can tell you you can't do that with a 40 pound bow! Mongols shot their bows from horse back at a full gallop!

The point Kinslayer has made about the life these folks lead also plays in here. Hard working, read here excellent conditioned people highly muscled, could and did pull bows of higher poundage. The first reference above mentions archers shooting arrows 200 or more yards and piercing 2 cm of oak. It also mentions an archer that pinned a knight's leg to his horse from 200 yards, that's through his leg armor, both sides, through the saddle and into the horse - from 200 yards! I couldn't find a reference for it but skeletons found abord the wreck of the Merry Rose are believed to be archers and they were deformed, compared to modern skeletons, believed due to the stress of shooting high poundage bows most of their lives.

10. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    {quoted from Justice} If there can be a metal (mithril) that is lighter than aluminum but stronger than steel, why can't there be a wooden bow that can the flex of a 300 pound pull without that much force needed to pull it?{end quote}

Right, but the WW book says that they did have to draw that much it says that it was the equivelent of lifting 150lbs+ with three fingers.

11. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok but like I said the book is written as if it's all real!!!!

12. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    elvenblademaster,
    Not sure about the book, but the Mongols used very high poundage bows but did not use the three finger technique. They drew the bow with a thumb catch. As the thumb is considerably stronger than the other fingers pulling a 150 pound bow is more realistic.

Now in modern bow distance shooting, even though they are using compound bows, the distances are pehnomenal! However, compared to the middle ages, not phenomenal. It is reported that in the middle ages shooting arrows 700 yards was not that unusual. At one point I found a web site that actually showed the arrows they used. They were not straight flat sided shafts like we use today but rather more submarine shapped. That is, a bulge in the middle tappering to each end. The fletches were small, about 1 inch long and only standing about 1/2 inch high, rounded and made out of paper (it gives an addition 30 yards).

Now if you are talking cross bows, whole different issue. I have personally seen cross bows in the armor museum in Vienna Austria that have prods as thick as my forearm. The bolts varry from 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter. Of course these bows were cocked using a hand crank or winch.

13. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    now that I have had to give the WW book back to my friend, I miss it, but I am still not paying $20 for it maybe $15 in a while after it goes down...

14. Grimm_mc

Grimm_mc New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Allthought I see there's much discussion about the contents of this book, I plan to buy it. There are 2 versions available [UK S. version] & [US version]. Is there any difference between these books? Internet stores say the first to be written by Chris Smith & John Howe, the second by Chris Smith & preface by Christopher Lee. Any clues?

If there are suggentions for other books regarding LotR weaponary I would glady hear it!

15. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    same here, and agreed.

16. Timmybaby17

Timmybaby17 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have the book, and I like it as well. I like the stuff about the history of the people and the swords, but sometimes it was hard to figure out what was true according to the books, or what they just made up. I wish that it had a better picture of Aeglos and Haldir's sword also. I did think that it was stupid that it said that there is no record of Legolas ever using just one knife. If EBM could've revised that, he would've put "Oh, except for the actual book that the movie was based on" I also thought it was dumb that it said that scholars are debating about the "fate of the white wizard". I think that part about the elves making sacrifices to Yavanna when they used the mallorn wood was just an attempt to make the author sound really intelligent and knowledgable about Tolkien lore. Oy... I agree with EBM here, that there was a lot of useless stuff in the book that could've been replaced with what the buyers really wanted to see. Aeglos and Haldir's sword!!!!!!!!!

17. Timmybaby17

Timmybaby17 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    BTW, I'm surprised we haven't seen that Fell Beast claw on a certain auction site. Then again, it will probably go in a museum. :halo: