Weapon of Choice?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Cheesy Goodness, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that although halberds, spears, and other polearms were terribly effective in battle, with units of men working together with them, swords were the most popular for single combat, and probably for more of a reason than pure tradition; a sword is a better weapon for a lone person.

2. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Studded leather is a fantasy interpretation of a brigandine; if you look at a brigandine from the outside only, it looks like a studded leather jerkin. Without looking at the inside of the "jerkin", someone once dubbed it "studded leather armor".

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOL thats about what I said already, glad im not the only one to have realized that.

And I think the reason swords were so common fro single combat and self defence is because its a versitle design and not huge like the other versitile weapon, the pollaxe, so its handy for when you are out strolling at night alone.

4. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    a large heavy blunt object

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    like the ROCK!!!!!!!!!

6. R. Laine

R. Laine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't know about that, to be honest - most historical fencing authors I know who wrote on the advantages of the sword vs. the polearm agreed that the polearm, in skilled hands, has the advantage against an equally skilled swordsman. (Though admittedly there were certain *very* high-caliber authors who considered the swordsman to have an advantage, e.g. Fabris)

As for the popularity of swords, well, there is a very clear reason for their use as self-defence weapons: they were elegant and fashionable, and people just didn't lug halberds around town for civilian purposes. Terribly inconvenient, and likely not socially acceptable either - SMGs and rifles aren't very popular as civilian sidearms today for the very same reason.

Rabbe

7. Orock

Orock New Member

The 'Dungeon'... otherwise known as my room... no
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. In my opinion swords are very good weapons, in the hands of skilled swordsmen. Not just any person can come along and use a sword properly, and even though I would like to be able to use one effectively, unless I was up against someone who has no idea what their doing, I would go for a combination of two short weapons, preferably short swords, perhaps light rapiers, with steel bracers on my forearms in the event that I can't get one of the blades up in time to block an attack. Mind you, this is only when fighting someone wielding a sword, if they were to be weilding a poleaxe, or even just a heavy battle axe, trying to block with the bracers would be very difficult as a swing with such a weapon is likely to be stronger than one with a sword.

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I've heard of rapier and dagger used together, but not two rapiers? And you're right, trying to block a full swing from a halberd/axe etc would result in 2 broken forearms and likely, the blade being buried in your torso somewhere

9. Orock

Orock New Member

The 'Dungeon'... otherwise known as my room... no
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, a rapier is, by most standards, too heavy to use with one in each hand, and perhaps slightly too long to wield as quick as an average shortsword, but if you were to use one which has been reduced in weight and became accustomed to a weapon of that length in both hands, it would be quite a formidable combination. Mind you, instead of going through the trouble of actually fighting, if a knife was to be used with a potent poison on the blade, it could end the battle before it starts. The poison may not even be needed if you can reach his throat before he draws his sword. This is more assassin styled fighting, and is not very honorable, but if it gets the job done, can you really complain?

10. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    You can be formidible with any item with enough training, so two rapiers would seem reasonable with training.

I don't personally know a lot about rapiers, but I believe the most common combination with one is a Main Gouche http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/frogshangers/images/maingouche_a.jpg
    Thats the first one I found, but by no means the best.

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The concept of honour is for theoretical fights, fantasy novels or in ye olden days. If someone pulls a weapon on you, survival is more important than fighting with "honour."

12. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I think that's what he was trying to get across :)

What brand of bow is that in your av? All of mine crapped out on me for one reason or another and I'm starting to look into one.

13. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Actually, it's "main gauche" meaning "left hand", most commonly referring to a dagger or short blade used as a parrying weapon.

14. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Damn...not too far off though :)

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It's a cheap 25lb fibreglass bow I borrowed to play combat archery coz my string snapped at the start of play. Ugly and shocky but I still kicked ass with it :) But we're getting off topic.

16. lazy-b

lazy-b New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 13 1/2" Lignum Vitae Billy Club that I used on the Police Dept. in the Miami, Fla. area dating
    back to 1960. It appears you were looking for one to add to a collection in 2005.
    If you are still interested you can e-mail me at lazy_bar_b@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Billy