Weapon of Choice?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Cheesy Goodness, Jan 24, 2004.

1. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    either a bow and lots of arrows with a rapier as back up or double scimitars.....

2. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Very few Samurai would use katanas in battle anyways. Maybe as back up, but katanas are brittle weapons. Yaris, naginatas, bow and arrows, and guns were the primary Japanese weapons. Katanas were dueling weapons, they showed the dignified side to combat, whereas the other weapons were used in flurried warfare.

3. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Further to that, this is a quick write up on some research on some Japanese battlefields, specifically detailing the sort of injuries sustained by those who died. The point is it shows that most fighting was done from a distance with arrows, firearms and even thrown rocks.

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OH the humanity of it all...slain by a humble rock hurled by a common peasant.

5. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. In fact I declare the rock my new weapon of choice.

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hehe, you can just see some warrior striding onto the battlefield, resplendent in his full suit of very expensive armour, carrying the finest sword ever crafted - and he gets brained by a rock thrown by a peasant in a hessian smock. Your last thought would have to be something like "You've got to be kidding me. A roc....."

7. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    hahahaha yeah that would suck

8. Jenab

Jenab New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a very good infantry weapon. Rugged. Will still shoot when it gets dirty, unlike the finnicky US M16. And it uses the Warsaw Pact 7.62 mm ammo, which is nice and penetrative.

I'd probably go with something that shoots the NATO 7.62 mm round. There's a nice German made sniper rifle, the Hecker & Koch PSG1, if you're into precision shooting. If full auto is your thing, the Canadian C-7 rifle is for you (uses 5.56 mm). Please note that you need a special federal license to own a full-auto rifle. And except for self-defense against a mob at close range, you don't need to spray bullets anyway.

(Edited: Oops, sorry, I just now saw the mod post saying no gun talk. I'll delete that if he tells me to.)

My favorite medieval weapons are concussion weapons. In fact, I prefer a truncheon made of a heavy exotic wood: denser than water, so it sinks and does not float. Most police nightsticks are made of an ordinary hardwood: oak, maple, hickory. These are okay, as long as you don't actually need to kill somebody quick. But, if you do, they aren't really solid enough to get the job done.

I actually own an 18" club made of Sonora desert ironwood. Very pretty. Very hard. I imagine that it could bust an enemy's skull pretty easily. I bought mine for $70 including shipping, from a certain online police supply vendor.

I'm looking for a club at least 14" long made of lignum vitae. The only one I've seen was in an eBay auction: an 18th century ship nautical billyclub probably used to keep unruly sailors in line on those long ocean voyages. But my $66 bid (sniped over an existing bid of only $22) was out-sniped by somebody else. God only knows what his maximum bid was. So I'm still looking for a lignum vitae club to add to my collection.

Other good, heavy woods are Ipe, Verawood, and Mpingo (African blackwood).

There's two things to consider when estimating a weapons speed for "recocking" for another strike. The overall weight is one of them. The distribution of that weight in relation to the person swinging it is the other: moment of inertia. The more weight is toward the far end, the harder it will hit for a given impact speed, but also the more torque (muscle power) is required to make the blow strike at that speed.

So weapons with thin tips

0===(|||||=>>-----

are faster than weapons with thick tips

0===(===<<||||||>

even when the weight is the same in each case.

Jerry Abbott

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  9. Jenab

Jenab New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Weapon of Choice? (General comment)

This is a general comment about human powered weapons.

The function of all of them is to bring the user's muscle power into a concentrated focus in both time and space. Energy gathered during the course of a swing or a thrust is dissipated in much less time upon the target. Whether you're chopping wood or chopping up an enemy's body, the idea is basically the same: ummmmmph...wham! The user will naturally seek to impose this energy, already concentrated in time, on a part of the target that is especially vulnerable, which means relatively unprotected and relatively rewarding in terms of damage inflicted.

Students of unarmed martial arts, who don't always employ extrasomatic mechanical aids in fighting, must learn about their opponents' vulnerabilities in great detail, as well as how to reach them with punches and kicks. That knowledge is also helpful for anyone who fights, whether with or without weapons.

While you can bludgeon or hack at an opponent in most any haphazard way and eventually defeat him - unless he defeats you first - you'll spend much more of your stamina doing it. Which means you might not have recovered your breath when your fallen enemy's buddy comes charging at you for revenge. In fact, foe #2 might engage you before you're finished with foe #1, if you don't finish with foe #1 quickly.

By learning how to strike down your opponents efficiently, you'll save your energy for what else needs doing afterward.

Good fighters think ahead to anticipate their opponents, while realizing that the opponent is also doing the same thing. Getting through an enemy's defenses can be done with brute power, if you have enough of it, or with speed, ditto, or with fancy technique, same applies. You need at least one of those advantages over your opponent, or else you're relying on luck that you probably won't get - like a meteorite falling from space on his head. It isn't going to happen.

So build your muscles, improve your speed, and practice your technique. If you're especially good at any of those, you might specialize a bit. But don't get left behind in overall combat effectiveness. Or somebody might kill you.

Jerry Abbott

10. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I declare the manly boulder as my new weapon of choice :love:

11. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    HUSH dont confuse me with the laws of physics........
    But rom what I understand of a katana's geometry they have less distal taper if any than a similarily weighted longsword, but then again they are much shorter.

12. Sgt_Snowball

Sgt_Snowball Fear The Fat Kid

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I Would Have And Medium Sized Sword, Medium Shield, And Light Studded Mail Armour And Sprint Around The Battle Field

13. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

With my nose pressed against the window at the DMV
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i have to say a single or double balled flail or a nice big axe ... or my personal favorite the lightsaber.

14. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    For practical use: AXE. Works like a charm against armor too.
    If i was to choose class, then SWORDS are, in my oppinion, the greatest

15. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What is this? Do you mean a leather jerkin with studs in it (pretty but useless) or chanmail of some weird description???

16. Sgt_Snowball

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The First One And It's Light And Somewhat Effective

17. Sgt_Snowball

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I Also Like The Flail (Spiked Ball On A Chain)

18. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Il ask you a question. How do people make things out of unhardened leather?
    If you dont know its with a knife. A sword is more or less a relaly big knife. Those tiny little studs wont do much. And as far as I know studded leather is just a fantasy role playing invention. A more effective but still light armor would be a coat of plates or brigandine. Plates of steel rivited on the inside or teh outside of a leather jerkin, which is probably where th eidea of studded leather armor came from, pictures of coats of plates that because the plates are usally riveted on the inside of the leather you can only see the rivits.

19. Yoda

Yoda Master Jedi

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love using Bow and Arrows.

20. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A nice long bastard sword, a heater shield, and a few daggers.