Warhammer Strategy Video Game

Discussion in 'Games Workshop' started by Dark Lord Sauron, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    A few weeks ago I played a strategy\rpg game called Spellforce. The voice acting was awful and army creation was weird and totally dependant on "monuments"(places were you summon all you troops), but what really struck me was the incredible graphics. They were awesome. You can zoom in right behind your character and control him in a way reminiscent of Morrowind. Then I thought , "wouldn't it be great is Games Workshop made a Warhammer Strategy Video Game". A kind of Warcraft III, Spellforce, Warhammer Tabletop combo. A game were you could be any one of the Warhammer races, could choose one of that races characters (ex- Archaon for Chaos) which would already have a predetermined set of items and look just like an animated version of the miniture. I always liked the thought of an avatar in a stradegy game, and having Archaon as my avatar is just plain cool. In my little imagined game, your avatar could gain levels and skills particular to that character. With the awsome talent of the Games Workshop staff, I'm sure an awsome campaign could be contrived. There could be a skirmish mode just like in Warcraft III, and a game editor, so you could create your own worlds. Does anyone else think such a game is a good idea?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  3. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know about the Lord of the Rings strategy game from EA, but I was refering to a game based on the Warhammer tabletop game. If you go to Games Workshop's home page, www.games-workshop.com , you will see Warhammer and Lord of the Rings are two separate stradegy games. Of course the Lord of the Rings stradegy game looks cool to.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  4. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes I am aware they are two seperate games, I play both of them. What I ment was that if GW made a game it would probiblly suck. They make minis, not games. And chances are if they did decide to it would take quite some time, not look the greatest and be a huge disapointment. The EA one has been in the works for a few years now, so it looks great. I know its not the same as GW rules nor will it be the same gameplay. But if you think about it, real time strategy games are the same (more or less) as table tip strategy games. Pick your army, make a formation and roll dice. Use your wits to outsmart and outnumber as you attatck. Same with RTS computer games, you just have to know how best to use what you have. It will help those like myself who play the lotr based mini game and get get togheter with friends to play all the time, you just play this game. It will ease the cravings none the less I hope.

5. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You make excellent points The_phatmasster, but still, I would love to see an animated Warhammer game, though it will probably never happen.

6. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    i heard that a warhammer game is in production already...

7. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Spellforce? are you sure that is the name of the new warhammer stragety game, because I beleive that you are referring to a different game. I have seen a preview of the new warhammer game, and it looks totally sweet, I am waiting for it to come out, so I can try it out.

8. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The game "Spellforce" is in no way related to Warhammer. The graphics in the game just made me think of a Warhammer strategy game. I believe they are making one now though, "Warhammer : Mark of Chaos" if I am not mistaken. It should be out this summer.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  9. serakfalcon

serakfalcon The Juggernaut Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jessehk where did you get such a cool signature? Is that your own writing or a font?

10. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Thanks! I made it in the GIMP, an image editing program for Linux. :)

In the future, please try to stay on topic (and contact people through private message for things like this).

11. Xeiphyr

Xeiphyr AKG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i still have no idea what Warhammer is....

12. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 began as miniature-based tabletop games with very involved storylines. The fanbase for the tabletop games is still quite large. If you would like more information, I would advise visiting www.gamesworkshop.com.

Recently, however, Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 have successfully entered the video game market. The first big title was Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War (there were other titles before this, but none were terribly successful). The spectacular graphics and innovative squad-based gameplay led the developers of Dawn of War to create an expansion entitled "Winter Assault". I own both games and am very pleased with their faithfulness to the tabletop originals.

In the coming year, two new Warhammer Titles will be released. The first "Warhammer Mark of Chaos" is based on the fantasy, rather than the futuristic warhammer world. Like Dawn of War, Mark of Chaos is a strategy game. It promises enormous battles and an unprecedented degree of army customization. The last title I am aware of is called Warhammer : Age of Reckoning. It is also based on the fantasy variant of the game. Age of Reckoning is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) similar to World of Warcraft and Everquest. From the pictures I have seen, it has very impressive graphics. The release date, I believe, is set for early 2007.

13. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am excited, i have both dawn of wars too, but as for warhammer, its the coolest fantasy table top game, but as thier developing it now, i dunno. The armies wont actually be that big in order to stay with the table top version, and their doesnt seem to be that much unit variety, but im hoping for the best.

14. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I loved Dark Omen, I thought it was very true to the philosophy. Didn't like Shadow of the Horned Rat.

15. Soulsmith

Soulsmith Forging souls anew...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have mark of chaos. awesome. unfortunately the load times take ages, you need an immense computer and there is no skirmish mode! If you want a custom army you make it in the army editor and then have to go online.The campaigns are sweet but really hard even on easy. Challenges are fun when you character is fighting theirs. Oh, and high elves get a dragon.

16. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    When Mark of Chaos came out I thought that it would be something like a Strategy game on the Warhammer world.But it's like the normal Warhammer table-top games and since I have Warhammer 2 Dark Omen for Playstation and I've had real fun playing it (those were the days...)I don't complain.It's a really good game.

When I got Warhammer 40,000 I really loved it because it was very good strategy game based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe which is awesome.And I thought of how nice it would be if THQ and relic made a game that would be very similar to Warhammer 40,000 but with the Warhammer world.

It should be different of course and it would be different from Mark of Chaos because it would be a strategy game like Warhammer 40,000 or Warcraft 3.

When you play Warhammer 40,000 you get to see all the characters and vehicles that you know and you feel as if the miniatures have come alive and move,the details on the characters and vehicles and everything in the game are so nice that you get the feeling that you're actually playing the table-top game with freedom to move and do whatever you want.

So yes it would be really cool to see such a strategy game with the world of Warhammer as well.To control the armies of Chaos and the Empire and the Brettonians and the Dogs of War and the Orks and the Undead and the various other races there.

17. Soulsmith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Orcs has a a C, they aint 40K orks

18. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I thought they generally called them Orks in Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000

19. Soulsmith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well they have got you their then. infact 40K is the only time they are called Orks

20. Mogett

Mogett The Red Hand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Mark of Chaos was a terrible, terrible game. It was a chewed up and regurgitated mash of Rome: Total War and the tabletop game. The only redeeming features in the entire thing was the Skaven dialogue and the thrill of blowing entire units to bits with Warp Lightning Cannons.

They need to make one based either around the Storm of Chaos or the upcoming Nemeis Crowb campaign, and include all the races. They also need to have one single damned new idea.

Search tags for this page

warhammer strategy games