Warhammer question

Discussion in 'General Books' started by carri27, Apr 5, 2013.

1. carri27

carri27 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not into the games - haven't the time or the inclination. but i love the stores and have started reading the book Van Horstmann, enjoying it and intrigued. So I've been googling Warhammer more broadly and trying to understand how the book writing works. there's so many authors on so many different aspects of Warhammer 40K, Fantasy and Heroes. I don't understand who gets to write them and who chooses the angle that gets focused on. Are they commissioned or are they more like fan fiction? anyone here can shine some light please?

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I know that there is Black Library, which is the Warhammer publishing company par excellence which has a group of authors writing for them (Dan Abnett etc.). I think that it works in two ways: when back story is needed, they'll commission an author, usually on known for their Warhammer/fantasy writing, but they mostly start off as fan-fiction, although they are professional writers.

Anybody can write about the world, but for it to be more official[-looking], they probably try to get it published by Black Library.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Far as I know Games Workshop holds onto their rights very tightly. As such the only official published works out there should all be "sanctioned" publications by GW (as such all are potentially "canon" to the world). That said the community will often pick and choose which ones are "popular" or well written or which best fit the world set (don't forget the world set itself is vast - and oft get re-writes on events or story aspects or race aspects in their official codex releases and such).

4. carri27

carri27 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thx heaps guys. that fills in some blanks. cheers, c

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Remember first that Warhammer is a trademark and the characters and world are protected by copyright. Writing fan fiction is can get you sued, even if you don't make any money from it.

Generally, works in worlds owned by game or other media companies come about in either of two ways. Either a writer sends an outline and samples of his or her work in to the company and gets permission to write the story, or the company approaches an established writer with its own story ideas. Either way, permission comes from the company before the writing starts.

Go to the company's website and see if they have guidelines. If that doesn't work, ask one of the writers about the process.

6. carri27

carri27 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    makes sense. thx greybeard.