Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War

Discussion in 'Games Workshop' started by Dark Lord Sauron, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    A new real time stradegey game is out called Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War. It is based on the tabletop game and looks great from what I have seen. The graphics are top-notch, there is an editor, a (rather brief) campaign, four playable races (Orks, Space Marines, Eldar and Chaos Space Marines) and single player skirmish as well as multiplayer modes. Since my computer is only a Pentium III 500mhz with 256 mb/RAM and a 32mb video card, it probably can't run Dawn of War, but I would be interested to hear other people's opinions of the game (or if they think it could run on my computer).

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I am assuming this is the one where you are given a specific amount of units like ground control to initiate in battle?

If so, I would agree with you, the graphics are quite spectacular, and form the looks of the bloody and in depth battle scenes, this is one game I might buy. The only other I played was Chaos Gates, and well that was poor, so I hope this one will be far more entertaining.

3. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I've seen ads for this as well, and it looks awesome! :D I don't think I'll be able to run it on my computer either, but it's definately on my list.

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I was considering getting it, the game looks great and has had great reviews, and from those that ive read the gameplay sounds just as good. It will probably be an ace RTS enjoyed by everyone including people who dont play warhammer.

5. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just bought the game yesterday, it is awsome! My computer can run it with little trouble, and, aside from 5 minute load times, the game works well. I do have the units set on highest detail, which may contribute to the huge load times, but the low detail models and textures look terrible. The Space Marines are the most technologically advanced, with the most vehicles. The Chaos Space Marines are just as good in ranged combat as the normal Space Marines, but better in close combat, the Chaos Obliterators are much better than the Space Marine Terminators. The Eldar have the best ranged combat in the game, but the worse hand-to-hand and very little armor. The Orks have phenominal hand-to-hand, and the units are cheap, but they have no armor and have mediocre ranged attacks.
    The music is great, very epic sounding, the voice acting is good but it gets a little old after every single Space Marine squad says "For the Emporer" every time they attack. The primary and secondary leaders have a large variety of phrases they say. The game's high point is combat animation. I never get tired of seeing a Chaos Defiler smash a Ork to bits, or an Assault Marine cut through an Eldar. Dawn of War is the best stradegy game I have ever played, if you like Warhammer 40000 and your computer will run it , you must get this game!

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    What about the Tyranids? and who are the hero characters available...and what space marine chapter are you...don't tell me your those useless blue Ultramines

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Pfft, ultramarines.......theyre so generic, you want the red guys, the blood angels.

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yes BLOOD ANGELS....my god I collect them only becasue their red and uber-psychos...man they own.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I totally did the same thing....although i was about 7.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Meh I was about 13 when I did so....=P I have no tactic with them...except hope for as many Death Company as possible and rush the enemy...even tyranids...it usually went ok because of the Black Rage.

11. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In the campaign you are the Blood Ravens, a chapter created exclusively for the game. You can paint up any army you would like for skirmish and multiplayer games, but the preset Space Marine chapters include; Ultramarines (of course), Blood Angles, Dark Angles and Imperial Fists. Your commander is just called the Space Marine commander, he has a name in the campaign, but I can't remember what is is. Each race has a primary and secondary commander unit, niether have a specific name.

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    customed painted up armies, COOL!!!

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lol I think I'll be a bright pink chapter....if I correctly rememeber there was ocne chapter during the heresy that went over to Horus that were pink on quite a lot of their armour.