Warcraft (2016)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Mububban, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    First trailer is here, and they've gone for quite a serious vibe which I think is good.

The CGI looks a bit cartoony but I think A) it's not finished, and B) it's a deliberate choice. WoW is over 10 years old now and its graphics are quite cartoonish by today's standards.

Unless reviews are universally dreadful, I think my many years of playing WoW will make me go see this when it's released mid 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLonelyGod

TheLonelyGod The Lonely God

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  3. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Not many good movies have come out of videogames. They end up as ok b-class entertaiment at best. At worst they make you want to die.

I remember playing Warcraft II back in the day and enjoying the deep background lore it had. Everything that came after Warcraft II and its expansion feels very detatched from that Universe to me.

Still, if anybody dares, I am expecting the report on this film when it is released and watched :)

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I saw a trailer for this when I went to see the new Star wars movie. My hubby and I thought the trailer looked pretty good. We sometimes get coupons for free movies in cereal boxes. This might be a cereal box movie. :)

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Richard - one reason games to films often fails is because its B-grade cinema groups that pick up the licence. There was that guy in germany who picked up Dungeons and Dragons and a few others who was basically using cheap to get film rights to plough money into his own companies during film production (ergo profiting off the millions spent on films).

Blizzard is in a unique position in that they are economically strong enough to pick if they do this or not; granted Squaresoft were the same back inthe day and their film failed. That said Square I think was also trying to make a point by having THE best CGI ever - Spirits Within was the Avatar of its day, just lacking the Avatar advertising budget to push it mainstream (where, arguably it might have done better than being niche for Final Fantasy fans).

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I am really curious as far as this movie is concerned - but my hopes are.... limited.

I personally do love the Warcraft story, beginning to end. I don't quite like the part they are trying to bring the silver screen - that would be the tale of the first Warcraft game - Orcs and Humans, if anyone remembers that.

From what I have been able to gather, the movie is in the works for at least eight years now. And quite a few scripts have been trashed. I believe either Mike Morhaime or Chris Metzen actually drafted the current script, simply because they didn't like the first few iterations enough. I dunno - that might be a good thing, or a bad thing.

There's a lot of Retcon going on as well, most prominently Garona Halforcen being half Human, in stead of half Ogre (the other half still being Orc).

But yeah... I really don't know what to expect here. We'll have to see, I suppose...

7. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yes, some people actually remembers that :)

It is a sound tactic for the producers. If the movie is a hit, they follow up with a movie of Warcraft II and then a movie of the expansion set.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Warcraft to Warcraft 3 had a fairly solid story - with Warcraft 3 really being sold in the campaign on its story.

World of Warcraft destroyed most of that in light of moving away from story and toward just doing cool stuff for players. I get that but it also showed that Bliz was not concerned about the story.

However considering how massive WoW has messed with the Warcraft world I suspect the film will ether tie into the start (and thus replace the 3 RTS games) or will be a 3rd "world" setting of the Warcraft theme.

9. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    this may be a see when it comes out to rent movie for me.

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    The story is interesting. I like the fact that it isn't just good vs. Evil. There's a grey area in the story and that makes the story and the characters interesting. My fear however is that there re so many characters. How can you you create a backstory for all of them. I just hope they don't become too one-dimensional.

Concerning the CGI. Uhm, it's not looking good. I don't like people who exaggerate saying it looks like PS2 graphics and I won't do the same. But here the CGI maybe equates to cinematic trailers you often see of games these days. The difference between what's real and what is not just stands out a lot.

11. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Since this is based on a game though, maybe it will work?

12. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    There is a lot of CGI abuse in the film making industry, but I suppose fully computer generated films are a cheaper and less messy way of making high fantasy films with complex settings and visuals.

13. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    it does sometimes work out. In the Name of the King with Jason Statham was based off a game, and there were parts that you could tell were cgi, but all in all, it was a good movie. too much cgi is jarring though for me.

14. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have a lot of tolerance, I don't mind special effects that are not great if the rest of the movie is good. When they use CGI as a substitute for special effects and it shows, well, I am not going to bitch about it too much.

A bit more problematic is the fact that they are replacing lots of traditional special effects that were absolutely great with CGI. When they used ropes and smoke generators which showed great on the screen, now they use computer rendered components that don't look quite so nice.

Films that are completely generated with computer tech are a special case, because I consider them to be a sort of substitute for cartoons. People expect it to look cool rather than realistic. I must add that I sometimes miss the traditional cartoon work, which has largely been replaced by computer generated cartoons designed to simulate traditionally drawn cartoons.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I mean the CGI is possibly as good as in the Hobbit. And that wasn't bad, but we all know they really overused it. I have no disrespect for people who liked those films, but I do think the CGI was one of its problems. And Firi, not sure what you responded to exactly. But if it was about the CGI, then I don't think it should make difference that it is based on a game. It's still a live-action film.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  16. Moandor

Moandor Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I saw it and

IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

17. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ooo...good to know!!!

18. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I watched the film recently. I would not say it is "awesome", but it was entertaining. What else can you ask from a film?

At the very least there was swordfighting, spellfighting, and they didn't rape the original plot material much.

19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I heard the film was good and I haven't seen it yet, but I'm certainly intrigued.

20. Shine

Shine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Definitely worth a watch. It does have a cartoon look, but that's not necessarily detrimental to the film.