war on terror

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by curunir's bane, Mar 11, 2004.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    It's election season, and so of course this neat little phrase that i soooo don't miss is making a comeback with the candidates and the news media. How's it going? Has Bush made progress?, etc. those are the pressing questions of the day it seems. So here's mine - What the hell is a war on terror? How exactly do you fight terrorism (a method of warfare)? How can you possibly plan to eradicate a form of fighting that is, along with its near cousin guerilla warfare, one of the oldest and most enduring forms, known to man? It is a method and style used by the weaker party in a conflict for the better part of several millenia. But somehow, now, these next 4 years, W. has the answer? So what is it already? Does he have some brillant strategy that just hasn't occured to the rest of us yet? Are we that naive that we really think if we say its a war, we can win it, even against a rather permanent fixture of human society? Or do we just come up with stupid names for stuff?

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I think Bush likes to keep us in a "war" at all times..makes him feel powerful and makes us feel like we need him. Pretty sad, if you ask me.

3. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once again, I have to agree with Arwen here. It is sad, and it's too bad that the leader of the free world needs to be at war to feel like a man.

4. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    bush is a nimwit!! to him war is good and you're not a good leader unless you've had a war and caused the deaths of hundreds of people, its probably him that will cause armageddon.

5. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    OK, woah here people!

Yes war is always going to be around. No one can stop it. But, as curunir seems to be suggesting, should we not try to do anything to stop them? What do you propose we do? Sit back at let these people attack us? Just say, "well, you killed 3000 American citizens, but you know, that's OK, your type of warfare is just a way of life"?

Bush is doing something about this problem. Everyone else is simply calling for pacifism.

Leggy, I really can't believe you said that. Bush does not think that having a war and having people killed makes him a good leader. Might as well call him a murderer. But maybe you think he is?

Come on ya'll wake up! I want something done about this. I do not want to live in fear. I do not want to worry all the time about terrorists. Those people have no compassion. They won't stop. Why should we be nice to them while they're killing us?

6. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering how you all got into the mind of Bush. You been reading his diary when he's not looking? I better keep my thoughts deep down in my brain, cause it seems like there are a lot of mind readers in this forum.

But yes, if Bush had not gone to war on "terror" as it is being called, it probably would have opened the door to a lot more terrorist attacks on our soil. It's like disciplining a kid. If they know you're not gonna discipline them, they're gonna stretch the limit as far as they can. But if you do, then they're less likely to do that certain thing. Since Bush has tried to do what he can to fight terror, they should think twice before doing such attacks. If you smack someone across the face, and they come back and wail on you with a two-by-four, I doubt anyone would mess with them anymore.

Terrorists' main weapon is fear, all we're doing is using their own weapon against them, making them afraid to attack us.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  7. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im happy that bush got saddam and thats it. Other wise or "other moron" he's a stupid face.

-dt

8. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    the fact is though, so far he hasn't stopped any terrorist attacks, they haven't drop in number, the only thing he has been able to do is capture saddam, but the probalem has been far than solved, and now apparently he's starting on syria!!

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    How do you know he hasn't stopped any terrorist attacks? Do you honestly think that taking out the Taliban in Afghanistan did absolutely nothing to prevent terrorist attacks? Here in the US we keep getting reports of people that have been arrested in connection with terrorist plots. And how about all those flights from Europe that were cancelled because of suspected terrorists on board?

As for Syria, there's no talk of invading Syria, and I bet you ten to one it won't happen. They saw what happened to Iraq and Saddam. They don't want it to happen to them. They'll probably implode...

The problem is not solved yet, but it is being solved.

10. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He's been at it for a year...give the guy a break. A year's time doesn't really amount to a hill of beans when you're talking about people who are professional terrorists. It doesn't matter how good our technology is. Until we get satellites that can tell what kind of underwear someone is wearing underground, then finding these people are extremely hard. They make a living out of not being seen. Besides, it's not like we can just "nuke the terrorists" because they are sporadically located. There are countless numbers of groups out there and they're all pretty much self sufficient. I believe that there is no way that terrorist attacks can be totally ended, but individual attacks can be interrupted/intercepted and we can do what we can to stop that attack.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  11. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    its hard to know when a terrorist attack is going to happen, I mean the don't always warn you, like the attrocoties in madrid, going after Terrorists is going to tick them off more, it would be great if you could stop them, but I think that it would be far better if the leaders of the world stoped going on this wild goose chase and instead start trying to figure out the cause of terrorism, I mean you can stop one terrorist but there is always going to be another one, then another one blah blah blah.

12. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can say the same thing about the police. It would be great if the police could stop all crimes, but they can't. Criminals don't always warn you, should we not have a police force since there is always going to be another crime happening??? I think not. Granted, your everyday criminals don't cause as much chaos as a terrorist would, but you would not stop going after them since "there's going to be another one."

13. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    true, but criminals are different than terrorists, terrorist don't do what they do just for money they doe it for a reason and I'm sure it could be sorted out with diplomacy

14. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They do it on the belief that they will be in paradise after they do their deed. Kinda hard for diplomacy to counter that. Terrorists are mostly religious extremists. You aren't gonna ever change their minds.

15. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    they always say its for religion which in my opinion is a load of bull!!
    the IRA were terrorists in england and that problem was solved using diplomacy!! probably one of the only things blair has done right.

16. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The IRA also weren't religious extremists...their problems with England was all bottom-line strictly political which would explain why diplomacy helped that out.

Religious extremists do not want anything from us. They hate us because we are everything that is immoral to them and their religion. They have a religious obligation to kill us, and that is not a load of bull. Read their Koran and then tell that to Journalists, Missionaries, Humanitarian Aid workers who've been killed simply because they were American, or Christian. There is nothing we can give them that will make them leave us alone. For them to leave us alone would mean we'd have to give them free reign to take over the entire middle east, and if we did that, we'd have WW3 just in that area of the world....look at the bigger picture people.

Terrorist attacks are being stopped on a regular basis. Even before 9/11 we had terrorist threats that were stopped because our intellligence was able to intercept and prevent. Did it ever dawn on you that the government doesn't tell people everything? How wise would it be to "warn" people of a terrorist attack and throw the public into a panic, making the job harder for intelligence to prevent them?

No system is perfect, and sadly two of those attacks slipped through, but for real...there are threats everyday from different terrorist cells everyday throughout the world. What you read/see on the news is barely one percent of what really goes on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  17. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    yeah true, I beleive in getting the terrorists, but I don't think we should be concentrating on the war of terror too much, I beleive that as soon as a terrorist is captured you trial and execute him instantly, none of this wait a decade then finsih the trial etc etc etc.

18. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    It's because of all these wacky liberals that it takes so long to actually punish the terrorists we've arrested! They're too busy making sure we're "nice" too them. They don't deserve "nice". And it takes a while because we have to give them a fair trial.

Diplomacy doesn't work with those kind of people. If they wanted to sit down and "talk about our problems" they would. But they don't, they kill us instead. You don't negotiate with people like that.

19. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm personally against it, I think that he is just going to get america bombed again, he shouldn't be going over there and trying to change everything about their country, including the gov. maybe a democracy won't work for them. In my opinion, it hasn't been working for us (the usa) lately(ouch, that was harsh of me) haha, oh well..

20. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Come on PFW, haven't you read what we've already posted? You think we're going to be attacked again because we're TRYING TO STOP IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN? They try again and it shows that we're only making progress.

Democracy won't work for them?!?! Excuse me, democarcy can work for everyone. This notion that some people just can't handle democracy really makes me angry. And why hasn't it be working for us? Could you cite an example?