Voting at 16?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Blackness, May 24, 2007.

?

Do you think voting at the age of 16 is a good idea?

1. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  3. Don't know / Don't care

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    If it is proven that 16 year olds in general can grasp what the political world is about, and more importantly, care about it, then yes they should be allowed to vote. But children of that age have more important things to focus on such as school. When you do reach college/ university, you naturally are brought into a more "grown up" environment, not only through lecturers but other students which encourages you to be politically aware of what is going on. Not only in your own country, but the world in general. In high school, that doesn't happen to the same magnitude as it does later.

2. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    16yr olds don't pay taxes. 16yr olds aren't eligible for the draft. 16yr olds aren't tried as adults when they commit crimes or sent to adult prisons. 16yr olds do not have the ability to contract. And so on. If they do not have the same rights and responsibilities as adults, they should not be voting to affect those rights and responsibilities. Remember the right to vote is not just the right to vote for the president or primary leader, it is the right to vote at all levels, from city referendums to legislative representatives, etc. I personally do not want someone to have a hand in making decisions, who is generally incapable of bearing the effect of those decisions. So, again, as they are not legal adults, they should not have the right to vote.

3. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Ahh i give up, as hardest i try, i can't make people believe in what they don't want to.

I would just like to say, maybe you're right...
    From the poll http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2716 most of TFF are people from 10-19, and since majority of them didn't even bother to post here, i fear you might be right that the majority isn't ready for voting... :( :(

Still, the minority who are ready for the responsability that comes with voting and are willing to vote, should not be left out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Only if the majority were ready and had the kind of maturity. Then things could be different. Who knows. Maybe in the future man would have evolved to the point where the maturity and responsibility sets in at younger ages. We can already see a change in the mindset of mankind.

5. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    A minority can drive safely above the speed limit. It is still illegal.
    A minority can perform surgery when they are not qualified. It is still illegal.
    A minority can take narcotics with no ill effect to anyone. It is still illegal.
    A minority can fly an air plane through a city without crashing. It is still illegal.

6. dover144

dover144 Mammal Toes

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I say no because half of the 16 year olds dont even know who is running or what party they are running for. I also think that 18 is a good age because that is when you are considered an adult and out of school and educated. just remember this is my opinion not facts.

7. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I think that came out wrong, if you know what I mean. ;)

I've posted in here before, but I'll post again.

Here's the deal: Most teenagers, 16 or not, are either idiots and/or inept at making good decisions. Sorry. (Btw, this includes me in more situations than one. :)) This isn't a hard and fast rule; there are some teenagers that should be running the country, and some "adults" who should be banned from the ballot.

I think the voting age should be upped to 21. After all, that's the age where you're legally an "adult" in every aspect. Since a lot of you don't think 16 year olds should be allowed to vote because they're not fully independent, why 18 year olds? Many of them still live at home, others have had less than a year of experience in "the real world". By 21, I hope most people have more experience in the ways of the world.

8. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    You're legally adult in every case when you ARE 18, 21 is the legal age ONLY in the US, not in Europe...
    Ways of the world do not have much in common with voting, and those that do are important so you're likely to learn them before the age of 18.

I agree, most 16 year olds aren't ready to face the world and vote - to affect the country, but 18 has been the age of adulthood for very long, and with a good reason.
    At that age i'd say at least 85% (just a wild guess) are mature enough to vote, and the other 15% probably won't be ever mature to vote (although they still can), so around that age the majority does have the requester 'world' skills to vote, although some reach it at a later age...

So what i'm saying that difference between 18 and 21 isn't as big as you're picturing it.