Voting at 16?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Blackness, May 24, 2007.

?

Do you think voting at the age of 16 is a good idea?

1. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  3. Don't know / Don't care

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure you know some things I do not, but knowledge and wisdom do not go hand in hand. I'm sure George Bush knows alot of things also, but he is certainly not a wise person.

2. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Considering how dumb I was at 16 (when I of course thought I knew everything and was obviously an adult in everything but name) and considering how dumb most 16 year olds are (and they are), I'm gonna have to go with, no, they shouldn't vote. But then again I was pretty dumb at 18 and its just as arbitrary. Maybe we should raise the voting age. ;)

3. chimera_789

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Come to think of it, after hearing most of my insurance class share stories of the multiple vehicles they totalled between the ages of 16 and 18 - we should raise the driving age as well. (But lower the drinking age... for so many reasons)

4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That is not a bad idea. But on that not, I believe people over the age of 50 or 55 need to be tested extra hard every year in order to keep their license. Young drivers are terrible but so are elderly drivers. There is not a week that goes by that I nearly get hit by one or the other.

5. chimera_789

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I would somewhat agree but I would push it to 60. Most "elderly" and accident prone drivers are not in their 50s. And I would say they only need to test every two years until about 68, then go to every year. And it needn't be "extra-hard" testing, just a test would be vastly useful. And while I know most people would bitch about age discrimination I would remind them that driving is a privelege, not a right - and as we age our brains slow down and our reaction times lengthen and our eyesight tends to go, so just as we don't want underdeveloped teenage brains, bodies, and judgements behind a wheel of a car we have to accept we don't want deteriorated ones there either. Its actually not that harsh if you look at it this way - for the first (developing) 16/17 years of your life we don't let you drive at all; at least for the last (deteriorating) 16/17/whatever years of your life we are still letting you drive, so long as you can prove you are still capable; 13 year olds don't even have that option (thank god).

6. Nemain

Nemain New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's a tricky question. Since school is not mandatory from 15 years 16 year-olds should be able to vote, 'cause they are supposed to have an own opinion then. But how much do they know? I doubt most teenagers have a real interest in politics. Don't know if adults are any better. My 14 year-old friend wanted to vote last year, but I know that she cares and knows more about politics than most 20+...

7. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and when you're 50, you'll think how dumb you were now... so it would be best if no one should get a right to vote, because we are all dumb.
    Or we could raise the voting age to 200, what do you think about that?

Driving age here is 18, and i think it should be lowered, because many other countries have it at 16, and i see no problem with it.
    People die all the time, if you want to stop people dying on the road, then you should completely make driving illegal, so no one will die driving.

Pfffft.

8. chimera_789

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Did you not see the winking smiley face?

Can't speak for your country. But I will say that if you look up the driving statistics in America, it is clear that the the number of accidents and severity of accidents drops off significantly after 18. Further, I also said that 18 is just an arbitrary number anyway, especially when it comes to voting; however, I don't believe you should be allowed to vote until you are officially considered an adult with the full rights of citizenship. If you think that is best suited by making 16yr olds legal adults, thats another argument, but as long as 18 is the age of adulthood, only 18+ should vote. (This would be my serious argument, as opposed to my not so serious slightly sarcastic previous posting indicated by the winking smiley face)

9. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Winking smiley face?... eeeer... maybe i missed that :D

16 year olds want what every person wants.
    Freedom.

10. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The freedom to starve? To be mugged? To get stuck in a minimum-wage job? What most 16 year-olds want is freedom from school and their parents.

11. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Freedom nonetheless.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    They want a feeling of importance...which carries responsability...which most people think (and they could be right) 16 years old can't handle.

13. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    No, they want freedom, the feeling that you can do whatever you want, to go wherever you want, and to act whatever the way you like.
    All people want freedom, thus, they feel that way.
    People become aware of this somewhere at the ago of 16, and then they feel this way because some basic human rights are denied to them...

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    either way, both require responsability. For example if you want freedom to drive a car or live alone....well I don't think I have to explain why certain responsabilities are attached to this...

15. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and i believe that 80% of 16-year olds are capable of that.
    People usually went to war at 16 in days long past.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Better be safe than sorry...not even at the age of 18 can we say every single individual is mature enough to survive on their own or to take on other responsabilities...

17. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Survive? :D
    5 year olds can survive.
    Modern civilisation changes the nature's ways, and although many 16 year olds are not ''ready'' to live in such a world, they are more than ready to survive in nature.
    Yeah, i sound like a hippie now :rolleyes:, but the problem is society has too many deviations compared to nature...
    Now i'm a bit off topic so i'll just shut up.

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    You think a 5 year old can survive on their own? okaaay....

19. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My four year old cries at the drop of a hat. I'd better tell her that in a few months she'll be 5 and ready to survive on her own so she'd better grow up fast. :rolleyes:

I had forgotten I had posted here, lol. IMO, 16 year olds think that they are full adults because they can start driving and get their first job. But, they still live with their parents, most parents pay for their cars, insurance, gas, or at the very least help them with it. Even when they are 18, and moving out to go to college, who do you think pays for that, their housing, food, ect. The parents, for the majority at least.

What it comes down to for me, is that 16 year old just think they are adults because they have taken the first few steps towards adulthood. But, they are not able support themselves at that age, they still live with their parents, are still learning and in school. They are still working towards degrees, and higher learning so that they can get good jobs, so they can afford the real world. They not ready for voting and all the responsibility that comes with being an adult in my eyes.

20. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    All those reason above are solely because of the law.
    If the law made 16 year olds adults in every way, then all those reasons would be wrong.
    Ok, IMO, i don't think 16 year olds should become 100% adults, at least not yet.
    Human kind has some progress to do before 16 year olds would in every way be - adults, and i understand why they are not, and why the shouldn't be, furthermore, i agree with that.

But voting is something different than being an adult.
    Ok, as i said, 16 year olds should not be adults, but neither should they be denied to vote.
    I believe that they should have a right to decide about their future, and what they think is right.
    This does not make them adults, but it gives them a right to choose, and to make a difference - and those who aren't interested in politics yet, will not vote.
    Simple.