Voting at 16?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Blackness, May 24, 2007.

?

Do you think voting at the age of 16 is a good idea?

1. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  3. Don't know / Don't care

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I was just wondering what do people think about this?
    In Austria, it is already accepted that 16 year olds have a right to vote on national elections, but do not have the right of being elected, and in Croatia it is about to be accepted.
    So, do you think it's allright to lower the voting limit to 16?

NOTE: This does not include anything else that comes with 18 (drinking, smoking, driving etc. , only voting)

2. Kiger

Kiger New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I will say yes. There are a lot of 16 year olds who are just as mature and know about the issues just as much as an 18 year old would nowdays.

3. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure, to be honest. We've got a general election today and I think I'm as capable of voting as any of the 18-year-olds around. That being said, plenty of 16-year-olds aren't and you have to have a limit somewhere. Voting at 16 will work for some, but maybe not for others. The same goes for 18 of course, but you'll probably have a higher percentage capable of making a mature decision.

4. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Most of the 18 year-olds I know don't know enough about politics to deserve their vote. I think voting rights should be earned, say via a Politics or Civics course in the final year of school. Too many people vote for a party just because their parents did, with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the issues or policies.

5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I don't think a lot of people will be happy if they had to take a course such as Politics or Civics to vote, considering many do follow politics and are knowledgeable enough to vote for who they deem is fit.

That being said, I don't think lowering the age line to 16 is really all that useful, considering most 16 year olds will not be bothered to even vote at all.

6. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    What you are saying is wrong, and would make no difference if someone was 18 or 20 or 30 years old, but the truth is most of 16 year olds today are mature to think with they'r own mind, and not to mention the rebelous actions against their parents, and would therefore vote what they want.

Do you remember when you were 16?

Anyway, most of 18 year olds who are like that don't even bother with voting...

7. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I personally, as 16, don't think I am 'responsible' enough to vote yet .[Although, if I was going to, I don't think I'd vote the same as my parents do, because we have some very different points of view.] Even thought I have more knowlede about politics than many of my friends, I don't feel that I have feelings strong enough towards nor against some political parties, to vote yet.
    [Look! I took part in a political discussion!]

8. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    I agree.

This statement proves that most 16 year olds aren't mature.

Yes, I do. I also remember when I was 18, when I was 20, when I was 30, and when I was 40. Do you?

9. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ lol

I voted yes to letting 16yr olds have the vote ~ if they're old enough to go out to work and pay taxes why shouldn't they have a voice? Yes there are issues of maturity, and lack of interest in politics/generally but this doesn't just apply to under 18s. The state (UK) believes they're old enough to have kids and raise the next generation so surely any change in maturity between 16-18 isn't perceived to be huge.

On the issue of earning the right ~ are we to choose on the basis of academic aptitude then? All current (again UK) schoolchildren already take citizenship courses so arguably are more 'qualified' than the current adult population.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  10. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Does it? I don't see why, because if 16 year olds can go to jail and get married, they should either get voting right, or they should't go to jail nor pay taxes...
    Humans get more mature with every passing generation with lower and lower age..
    And, if i am not mistaken, 18 (or 20, don't remember correctly) was set in ancient Greece ,in Athens, wasn't it?
    And that was 2500 years ago...
    Maybe most aren't mature, but there are a lot of people who are far older and are still completely immature...

No, but that's not the point of the discussion.

P.S. You're 40+? :D

11. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    In Athens, anyone at any age who was considered to be at all intellegent was studying philosophy, rhethoric, and politics. Now, all teenagers are learning are quadratic functions and how to get laid. :p

True. Heck, I know some 40-year-olds who don't know what an electoral college is, and then some thirteen-year-olds who are far more politically suave than most adults. However, as Lyanna said, chances are there's a higher percentage of mature 18-year-olds than 16-year-olds.

12. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree.

Not in the US. A 16 year old can get married (I think) with parents' permission. Not on their own. They also are very very rarely tried as adults, and are usually sent to juvie.

13. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    eh... speak for yourself!!!

im very attuned to Irish politics and so are most people know... those who aren't just dont bother to vote!!!

and earning a right to vote... HA!

not everyone goes to school, and not everyone likes to study... certainly not politics...

if you introduced that... there would be hardly any voters!!!

14. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    oh... and i voted YES!

why... because i feel that there are 16 year olds out there who are mature enough to vote. Introducing voting at a younger age would also help them understand politics more... and quite frankly, i believe that certain people who are eligible to vote dont deserve it as much as some younglings!!!

im basically taking this stance... because when i was 16, i was well aware of our political ways... and it annoyed me that i was unable to have my say!!!

15. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    sorry met... but you just got me really angry!!!

so in other words... because the vast majority of 16 year olds wouldnt be bothered to vote, therefore none can???

eh, NO! that is highly unfair toward those who have strong political views, but who cant vote because there age group 'arent into that sort of thing!'

phew... *relax, relax*

jeeez, met... :)

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it would be a good idea to let 16-year olds vote, cause it is really diverted I think...One has knowledge early on even when they are under 16 of politics, one doesn't even grasp the full idea when they are 18 or even older. But many people seem to think that 18 is the minimum age that you can be considered "mature" which is actually a load of crap. It all depends on the person. It would be nice to see a research where they challenge teenagers at a certain age (such as 16) on their knowledge of politics and if you could then find out if the majority does have that knowledge, then maybe they should let them vote. Maybe they should also teach children in politics at school at an earlier age...teach them how all systems works. It might be boring to some or most of them, but so are other classes...I thought that biology is boring (now I love it lol)

Warlock Lord...Please use the edit button...it would make you euhm..more mature...lol

17. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    well... im considered mature... like most people have said, Im 18, and im legally aloud to vote!!!

sorry, ani... im just really pissed off at this subject... and i feel overly sarcastic!!!

as you've said... being 18 doesnt make you mature... so what possible reason is there not to let 16 year olds vote???

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    If you can't be sure if an 18 year old is mature enough, how can you be sure that a 16 year old will be mature enough....in the end it's not about being mature, it's about knowledge...They just estimate that you'll have the knowledge at that age, which is still wrong, but it's maybe considered a "safe" system. In my opinion you need to realise if you are mature enough to decide if you're ready to marry, but about politics it depends on both. And through age you gain knowledge...either at a low or higher level, again it depends...

19. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, there are not nearly enough mature 16 year olds. Not the slightest bit. I actually think the age should be raised.
    There was a poll that showed that the majority of teenagers couldnt even tell you who the V.P. was.
    I hold the view of the philosophers of old, that politics is beyond the grasp of the young.

I also believe that voting should be earned.

20. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    the majority???

what about the minority??? who are mature enough and who want to have a say???