Voice your opinion - bullying

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Emelie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Silvertongue

Silvertongue New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anti-discrimination laws don't work in a lot of cases. Teachers don't know how to deal with anti-trans bullying and trying to get a job as a trans person even here in Britain is nigh impossible. It's not outright said it's because you're trans but you can be perfectly qualified for the job, running against three lesser qualified people and still not get the job.

Also freedom of speech is curbed in a way that tries to crack down on the intent to incite violence. For example "I hate Bob" and "We should all go kill Bob" are different things.

As for suicide, it is caused by many different factors by people who are not in their right mind when committing it. Depression and other mental illnesses. People don't just decide to kill themselves because they think there life is hard they do it because they think they have no future and can not cope with their life.

Judging people by the standards of the past is a good way to alienate people because things were a hell of a lot different then.

As Emelie says School is a massive influence on us as we grow and form our opinions about society. Not only this but increasingly teachers and school peers are raising children because the parents simply aren't doing it. They aren't teaching their kids about s*x and they aren't talking to them about bullying and so on. They expect the TV to do they raising half the time.

And in the US they put up with the Westboro Baptist Church. I'm not suprised they allow Nazi parades to be honest.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Believe me, there's plenty of times when "all hell breaks loose" in America when a group of people exercise their freedom of expression. We have a long history of it.

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    But even if the laws don't work in a lot of cases, at least they help when it comes to actually reporting the discrimination. And most schools and teachers do have a plan to work from when it comes to the discrimination laws, so I do believe they help some, even though it's not as much as we would have wanted it to be.

And as you said, suicides is caused by a loooot of different factors, but depression can come from longterm bullying or severe bullying so its not that someone is bullied, and then take their lives, but it's usually something that has been going on for a long time, or that its the last drop of something else.
    We had an example given to us at the conference as well, they mentioned an example of a girl who wanted to change her name to something typically male. And she got declined, she didn't get to change her name to a male one.
    And she went about to fix this... By killing herself. It was the last drop of a life where everything had gone against everything she was a person (transgendered). Sometimes they just don't find it in themselves to struggle any more. And no one knows what will make the last drop, that makes the cup run over.

And as you say when it comes to the raising of our young, school have massive influence, and it's really important they include values and information in everything, when it comes to raising the kids.
    There's no such thing as sex education in some countries or areas. And the parents are too embarrassed, or don't want them to know, because they think that might make them run out and have sex. Nowadays with the internet and all its easier to actually find information on your own, but the internet is full of false information and people that try and trick others if they get on the wrong website. No wonder there's so much teen pregnancies when people think they can get pregnant by swallowing.. But not by 'pulling it out before' - _ -

How I look forward to my future kids red embarrassed faces when I'll tell them all about birds and bees. xD I will most certainly want to be the first to do that!

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'm fine with teaching core values and ethics and whatnot, but only if it doesn't take on a religious tone... which in many parts of my country it inevitably would, and does. As the thread I started 'Evil Little Thing' demonstrates, some schools in America tend to preach values and good behavior under the wing of quasi christianity. And as we see even in this thread; though you and I count ourselves as liberals we have different ideas on what the role of public education should be.

When all my nieces finally came of age (12-14-16)... for Christmas I got them all ornate silver cases. Their mom had to tell them those weren't fancy containers for jewelry and keepsakes... they were tampon cases. Oh were they ever horrified. I think when that times comes it's just best to tell them their period is God's everlasting punishment for having us thrown out of the Garden of Eden.

5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you totally on the religious tone. That's a big no no for me. I'm grateful it's not like that here, the schools are sort of free from all that, but there are private schools I think. But you need to apply for those.
    Most religions do have good points, but there are ways to teach good values without the whole religious thing as well. And I think most people over the world agree on what most of the good values are. To be nice, love thy neighbour, no violence and all that. From what i've heard though, even though many schools in America teach christian values, they actually don't teach religion in classes? But perhaps that's just some places?
    I believe the schools should be free from religion since it has nothing to do with school, and one needs to respect the people going to the school, there's such a big diversity of people, not just from one religion, or non believers. If the parents insist on having their kids going to very religious school, then choose private school.

Haha well it's got to be fun with stuff like that, making them a little embarrassed. I was always the one wanting information though, probably embarrassing everyone around me, until I got internet! I even took extra sex ed. classes when it was available, very interesting. and a lovely teacher. That's very important. The first one we got at 11 was sort of horrible, old teacher, stale values. I'm just glad it didn't scar me for life, media does that too well on its own, thank you very much.
    But what about those who don't get their period, or removes it by pills :O do they get to go back in there? xD

6. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

All I remember telling my daughter was something about a blossoming flower and the circle of life, and that she will soon be able to communicate with small creatures of the forest. Then the room started spinning and I felt a little light-headed... I'm so very glad I'm not a woman.

7. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    People... actually give 'the talk' to their children?

o.0

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well at least they should. Better they learn it from people that know, than from unreliable sources, at least if they can't get it from school.

9. Saeriel

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lol, I guess. I just googled it XD

Well okay, I learnt a lot of it online from guys twice my age (what? I had to ask what they meant a lot in group chats... It's not creepeh)... But still... Internets is an awesome resource.

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Yes of course; my dad's 'talk' consisted of telling me to never marry a Catholic or a fat woman, because neither would ever change for me... and if I got a girl pregnant I had to do the right thing. And that was that. Likewise, my daughter got a equally useless 'sex talk' from me... thank goodness her mother at least filled in the blanks.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I'm probably about twice your age, so I'm telling you to never marry a Catholic or a fat man... because neither will change for you. And also, you can get Aids from dirty toilet seats and in hot tubs.

12. Saeriel

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeeeeah, I took Biology, thanks though. And I'm not getting married.

Your advice sucks :p

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Btw, in case you're not tuned in to all things American... there is an unflinching documentary about bullying to be released very soon here in the United States... it's no small production or 'indy' movie either, it was produced by Harvey Weinstein who himself was considered a "bully". I guess the movie is his way of making amends for his own bad behavior and bullying of others. There's a bit of a flap over it receiving a 'R' rating, which means of course that the very people who need most to see the movie won't be able to unless they go with a parent. In an odd twist, the congressman who sits atop the ratings board, or oversees it, is a friend of Weinstein. They had a good natured debate on television and perhaps the movie may hit theaters as "unrated". Anyhow, the movie is getting very good reviews.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ebate-at-mpaa/2012/03/15/gIQAFOHJFS_blog.html

14. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, google is awesome for stuff like that really. But i've come across people that had sex ed from a monkey or something <.<
    There are reliable sites, but many find the unreliable ones, where there's just a lot of rumours and no facts. Don't know how many times I had to calm friends that believed they were pregnant from swallowing..... 'but I read it on the internet' or 'i heard it from my friend' On a lot of 'reliable' pages it for example says that having sexual intercourse during the girls period is a good way of not getting pregnant, well.. that's false. So one can not be too sure what's really correct on the internet. Especially from forums or wiki pages, where everyone can write or edit.

15. Saeriel

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, see... I have this little thing called common sense.

Well, usually I do.

16. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Some are blessed with that xD some aren't.

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    No way, there's young women out there who think having sex during their period is a good idea?
    Who wants to do the laundry after that episode?.. I think I would just toss out the bed sheets.

18. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    But Sparrow, if people use their imagination, there's no need to change or throw out bed sheets ;)

19. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Ah-ah!.. that's Swedish secret code. Very sly Ms.Emelie, very sly. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  20. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oh Sparrow, now i know where your mind wanders when you use your imagination, i was thinking more of like..the shower xD