Violence in Video Games

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    If she had a broken arm for over a week its likely he didnt care much about the baby, xbox or not, that guy is a nutcase.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I really don't think that's relevant to this discussion. Sounds like the guy was just a loser in general, if he's willing to kill a small defenceless child because it broke a piece of property, his apparent lack of anger management skills means he would have done somethign to someone at some stage.

3. Rock Mouth

Rock Mouth Speaker for the People

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have played some really violent games, but that does not make me want to go out and shoot 17 people in a mall.

4. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    exactully. . those people that do that , already have something mentally messed up, or are just messed up.. i play violent M rating games all the time.. that dosent mean im going to plant a bomb and kill CT's .. (going by counter strike..)

5. Rock Mouth

Rock Mouth Speaker for the People

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mabye, mabye not.
    It effects people in different ways. I consider myself a stable individual, but I do not think that I cannot be changed, vidio games or movies wont change me though.

6. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    hummmm.... i think violence in video games is a great way to get rid(GE... MWUAHAHAHA) of unnessecary anger.
    you can take it out on video games instead of destructing valuable artifacts such as vases...

7. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    thats true lewy.. i do that all the time!

8. Yoshi Master

Yoshi Master Mariologist

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The violence and swearing can get to you.

Man, when San Andreas came out, people where dropping the N bomb a whole lot more often, and it wasn't just the black people.

That, and I've discovered that stuff I would usually find disgusting if I drew it, seems natural. Sure, drawing a large bullet hole in my characters head isn't that bad, especially when I attach a joke to it.

9. aaron.j.cypher

aaron.j.cypher Aaron, King of the Flakes

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    True that, I've found myself growing tired of excessive violence in certain video games. However, depending on the content and desire to play the game itself, I usually just deal with it.
    Honestly, I can see where that might affect the usage of the 'N' word in today's society; however, you have to also remember that during the same time Dave Shapell was popular and Mancia was on the rise as well. With those few examples you can probably put two and two together to realize that the video game itself is not soly responsible for this increase in word usage.
    Also, 'people' is a broad term. If you are refering to those only in your hometown to which you could observe, I can possibly see that... but, unless you took a poll of the world or United States itself, that is a broad generalization.
    Definitely true. After watching enough CSI every Thursday I find myself becoming numbed to the idea of a guy's head exploading or an individual's neck being slit open.
    Our generation and those to come have a very high rate of being less-sensitive to the subject of gore and violence within the media.

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
  11. aaron.j.cypher

aaron.j.cypher Aaron, King of the Flakes

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ya see... Now lets take a look at his environment, his parents, his home-life, his family, etc.... And possibly, find something else to blame instead of video games people.

Well done Crusader.

12. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Example: I only play grand theft auto for the sheer glee of hijacking cars and running over podestrians. (I do not actually play the missions) However, I do not find myself in my car ever with the urge to run over podestrians. (Or at least not most/random podestrians - and I never give in to such an urge) Further, having been a podestrian hit by a car, I would say I'm firmly against the running over of podestrians.

Therefore, violence in video games does not cause real life violence. Unhinged individuals cause real life violence, and may additionally have played violent video games but its not post hoc ergo prompter hoc.

On the flip side, however, (and speaking of GTA) I think its ridiculous that there is giant uproar over and banning of a game for discovery of a secret sex scene, when the entire sanctioned premise of the game is hijacking cars, running people over, gunning people down, and generally being the best violent little gangster you can be. Essentially as a society we are saying that sex is worse than multiple murders and other violent antisocial behavior. Sex - bad, killing another human being - OK. F-ed up, no?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    lets not forget the sex part wasnt actually in the retail build of the game and needed user created patching to access, while the violence and murder is the main focus of the game

14. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    yes, you had to actually hack the game to get the sex, but the murder and mayhem is part of the purchase price.

additionally, its a mature rated game already, which means you aren't supposed to be able (in theory) to buy it, in the US anyway, unless you are an adult. so how exactly is an adult unduely shocked and traumatized by a sex segment and one that they purposefully went looking for and took intentional steps to access in an adult rated video game. (And one where incidentally running prostitution and beating your "hos" is a legitimate approved part of the gameplay anyway).

15. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I was just reading some stuff in wikipedia about the lawsuits concerning GTA:Vice City and I was wondering if it's really valid to accuse a video game for making someone violent.I've seen videos on youtube about people getting angry at LOSING on video-games but how can someone blame a game for the actions of people.I mean,it was the same thing when Carmaggedon came out a gazillion years ago.I never played that game but I remember the whole fuss about that "evil game which rewards players for running others on with their cars" and stuff like that.

I also read that some Cuban and Haitian communities protested about the game...wait a minute let me quote this from wikipedia:

Incitement to genocide?Racism?Are we kidding?There are hundreds of movies and games about the Italian mafia and I don't see any Italian-Americans complaining about it.
    Plus,in the GTA series there are dozens of gangs and criminals from various ethnicities:
    Colombian,Jamaican,Mexican,Chinese,Vietnamese,Italian...even(I think)Korean and Japanese.Cubans and Haitians aren't the only ones.Plus...these games show a part of life that is true.The gang wars and ghettos,the criminal activity and the poor neighborhoods are are a reality in thousands of cities and especially in USA and Mexico not to mention other countries of the continent.

Of course there are some video-games who take it to the extreme,but if someone is mentally unstable it's not the game that will make him violent because his character is already like that.So...he shouldn't play the game,but again...how can someone forbid someone else from buying a game he wants?

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    It's said that video games actually reduce violence. This is because violence in video games let's children take out their aggression in these games, instead of in the real world. We humans all are violent by nature. That's just one of our traits. And by using that violence in a video game instead of on an actual human, reduces that aggression we have in us.

17. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yes video-games can be an amazing way to relax unless of course you're playing some ridiculously difficult game :p

I think music has more potential to affect someone's mood than a video-game.

Search tags for this page

violence and video games forum