Violence in Video Games

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    While I agree with you on the most part, Its important to remember that Jack Thompson IS trying to put it forward that video games are the causes and major catalysts behind violent crime. Not inherent behavioral characterstics or psychological nature as anyone with common sense would know. While such factors do create influence, it is on a very tiny scale, as you mentioned before its a matter or self control. Those who would perpetrate violent crimes would likely do so without the influence of games, To them games may give 'ideas' or minor prods and i accept that. But this is not Jack thomspons arguemnt, he is claiming that games actively make people violent criminals which is simply untrue, through this statement and countless others in the past. I'm not opposed to a discussion of gaming's influence but the man is clearly overly biased and irrational in his attitude.

2. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    In that case, yeah, I agree that games do not actively make people violent criminals. For one thing, if that were to be true, more than half of the teenage population would become violent criminals. Jack Thompson has not given any such evidence that the situation is such. It appears to me that videogaming is made a convenient scapegoat for these crimes. I guess that way many of us casually use the word "kill" or "destroy" for many of the enemies in our games, scared Thompson and befooled him into thinking that we are turned into violent beings by the games. Its a misconception some non-gamers, like Thompson get. That is why Thompson should just chill out and play some good video games himself, then he wouldn't mind it so much (just a little thought). If I were Thompson, I would do that before making statements like that. I believe that one should no comment on something that he does not understand very much. To understand someting, I think, is to either experience the thing itself or to learn of another's experience.

3. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    My sentiments exactly. Videogaming is under public scrutiny at the moment because it is relatively new, but this reaction is a classic one of human social development. When a new form of media/entertainment arises that is accepted by the young the past gneration is often scared and intimidated. It was the same with movies, rock and roll and the internet. It will happen again when we're all racing hoverboards in the future and right now its happening with gaming. Its a pity politicians such as Thompson dont understand this.

Also in numerous places ive heard that thompson has other agendas, that he is using the videogames bandwagon, as it is the most convenient scapegoat at the moment, to progress his career.

4. Lady Athena

Lady Athena Art House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Violence is not only on video games, but in movies, streets, music an even in some homes, but it is up to the parents to monitor what games their young play an besides games are rated, noone forces you to buy them, an if parents are afraid of the younger children playing the violent games while not home, they should put them away where they are not able to access them to play or lock them in a cabinet like you do other valuables. So I believe the sole responsibility should be on the parents to observe what goes on in the home, it is not the store or the manufacturers problems they are trying to make money just like anyone else is in the world of everday living. You have to take responisibility for yourself!! :devilbat:

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    you have to see it this way, when somebody shoots someone in the face, the child does not do it purpusly to kill but to score points. But the ulitmate goal is not to kill but to finish the game. That is where most minds are set on, scoring, not killing.

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I hate all this, ban movie and game violence kind of thing. I hate the fact that people are treated like primative apes that will copy whatever they see on the screen, and like children have to be told not to see it. When I was a young child I was not banned from my mum to watch violent and bloody movies, but she would always explain to me that it wasn't real etc And I can assure you I never once ran out the house with an axe trying to cut people up.

The whole violence issue has been blown way out of proportion. The most violent thing in real life is the news, and I dont think that should be censored either.

I'm sure there are many people who were inspired by games and movies to do bad things, but at the end of the day, nut cases will read into anything.

Like the Beatles "White Album" and Charles Manson. Did people demand that album to be banned? No

Or the book "Cather in the Rye" which inspired Mark Chapman to murder John Lennon

Or.... The Bible? Which has caused more deaths than movies, games and other books put together. But no one asks these to be censored.....

7. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Master of the Ninja Guild

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I personally think that all video game violence is for added effect. Violence in gaming has been around for a long time, and technically, if these guys had thier way, Mario would take his precious time jumping over the Goombas and making a treaty with Bowser than hitting them on the head and Bowser falling into a pit of lava all the time. Just saying, it's pretty pathetic when all they have to do is look at themselves and they see that they are the real influence, not some crackpot five minute game.

8. King Eduardo

King Eduardo yo mama's

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    there is just as much violence in video games as there is on the news

9. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The violence in the Bible is not even described. Although mentioned, it is a small part of the main goal of the Bible, and that is to teach us in the ways of our Lord. To ban the Bible is to ban Christianity.

Also, I agree with King Eduardo. The other week, I heard about a boy killing and dismembering his mother. You don't find that in video games. :)

10. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yah, violence existed waaay before video gaming...like it did before bombs and machine guns..i'm for banning guns and bombs, andvideo games which show boys dismembering other ppl..there is bold line btw entertaining and plain sick..

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I thought of an innteresting idea yesterday for someone to shove in jack thompsons face.

He goes on and on about videogames being 'murder simulators' training children to become murderers.

Obviously its an idiot notion because theres a big difference between pressing the A button to shoot and the B button to reload, and operating a real gun. also motivation plays a key role, people dont just become murderers because they know how.

Anyway heres the thing jack, what about actors? they go through training and choreography, theyre taugvht how to fight, taught how to realistically use weapons and set on a task to 'kill' the bad guys, and whats more theyre PAID to do it.

Whatever shaky psychology jack has behind his murder simulator idea falls flat on its face after that idea.

12. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That is why at one stage they were trying to implement this ban on play guns that where to realistic or life-like. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous? The reason was, surprisingly, not violent behavior in children, no, some bright spark robbed a bank using a very realistic plastic toy, and got away. He left the plastic gun infront of the bank.

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well cops have killed kids wielding toy guns. If someone points a gun shaped object at a cop, expect to get killed and be questioned later.

14. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    IMO, video games aren't violent enough, or at least the violence doesn't look realistic enough. For example, I recently saw on TV a bull rider who's ear and most of the skin on the side of his head was torn off. Although you might expect something like the skin and ear and hair fully visible and completely mangled on the grouns while blood was blood was shooting out of his head and the skull itself was visible IF this happened in a video game, in real life it's less graphic yet more horrifying. the side of his head was just covered in blood, his hair on the one side was all matted and wet, and towards the back of his head you could just see some sort of red flap. The scary part was that he was in so much pain all over his body from what the bull did to him that he didn't reallize what happened till he place his hand on his head. But in a video game or most movies, the guy would have been running around screaming and stuff till he fainted. Also, you never see dry blood in video games. It's always either splattered or pouring out and then it either goes away or stains the walls and floor after a while. As for the violence of actually killing and beating up enemies, game developers really aren't that creative. I mean, sure, hitting a guy over the head with a baseball bat is ok, but what about stabbing someone with a broken mercury thermometer? Or perhaps picking up a handful of glass shards and smacking someone in the face with them? One more thing, electrocution in video games. Most of the time you just see someone shaking a lot and maybe u'll see a bit of smoke afterwards, but that doesn't really (or at least not always) happen in real life. When someone gets electrocuted, and not just a quick powerful shock, their entire body goes numb, they're either shaking or not moving at all, and they foam at the mouth (this depends all on how madly they get elctrocuted, though). Also, I'm pretty sure their eyes role back. So, I'm not satisfiec with the violence in video games, but for much different reasons than Jack Thompson. As for actually promoting violence in real life, that's a load of bull. Maybe if people played video games more often, they wouldn't feel a need to kill others since they wont even want to bother coming in contact with other human beings =P

15. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It all depends on the person.

Seriously.

I've been around "Violence in Games" since before some of you were even born I am sure.

"Mortal Kombat" was the first. The idea that a game would show blood fly from an opponent was mortifying to older generations. Now they have games in which skin can peel from bones.

But the games aren't necessarily the problem. It's the people playing them, and the fact that everyone wants to blame everything BUT the person responsible.

People smoke. They know it's bad for them, yet they do it anyways. Is it the tobacco companies fault? No. Do the tobacco companies make a harmful product? Yes. So does McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Coca-Cola, Aunt Jemimah, Dreyer's Ice Cream, hell, everything is bad for you these days. But we all have the choice NOT to indulge in them, or if we do, do it moderately.

When children get immersed in video games, some take it WAAAAAAY too far. I know guys who spend more on video games than they did on their car. If they had a really crappy car like mine that'd be one thing, but I'm talking expensive cars.

And some people are just not the types to be playing cruel and graphic video games. You know who I'm talking about, Emo types, the pale, all black attired kids who think like is out to get them and how depressed they always are despite the fact they probably have a nice family and a big house in a suburban area. They also wear those skin tight pants that cling very tightly to their skinny legs that make me want to barf. Those types. Those are the ones with mental probelsm which probably shouldn't spend all their time playing "Columbine Interactive" online.

I don't care what games kids play. They still need to be held accountable for their actions.

16. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I agree, Justice.

As Chris Tucker said: "Whatever happened to crazy?". That kid that dismembered his mom didn't do it cuz he saw that in a game, he did it because he was CRAZY.
    For instance, many of us saw "Silence of the lambs" but none of us is making a costume out of our neighbour's skin, for christ's sake! Or if you're playing WoW or any other RPG you're not going to chop your family's heads off with an axe because it was fun when you did it ingame.

Crazy people will watch shopping channel and then go on a killing spree. Cuz they're...well...crazy :)

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Personally i cant wait to see what kind of response the columbine simulation games elicit from anti-game fanatics like jack thompson.

Lucky all kind of regulatory measures against games get shot down, and rightly so, its the responsibility of parents to govern what their children watch and play, not the government.

18. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    its all about how the kid was brougth up. ( i was at a gaming arena, and there was a kid who couldnt play counter strike. and i think if he couldnt play cs the parents are thinking he will go kill kids at school if he plays that.)

if the kid knows that its just a game then he/she will be fine. but crazy kids that dont know the difference will do wrong and "act" out the games.

19. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    True, but are you saying that the ONLY thing to point fingers at is the people themselves? What about the parents? They live in the same house, they should have some idea if their child has a sick and twisted mind and the urge to kill people and commit suicide.

And who says that having a family and a big house in a suburb is nice? No offense to anyone who lives in a pleasant suburb, I'm sure you're happy to live where you do. But these kinds of neighborhoods don't work for everybody. Many kids feel trapped in this kind of community, and they look for ways to escape, mostly through drugs and video games. The parents should make sure that their children are happy, and NOT by giving them Grand Theft Auto for Christmas.

The truth is, society has negative effects on these people, and they need to be shown that there is another way out. My old vaulting coach was born naturally aggressive, and he was the kind of person who could have gone very wrong. But early on in life, his parents introduced him to vaulting (gymnastics on horses), and he got so addicted to it, that he put his aggressive energy into practicing and working out at the gym. He did have a few minor tangles with the law, and he used to be a real jerk. But he's in his late 20's now, owns his own performing troupe and is actually a nice guy.

Given, there will always be a few sickos that no one and nothing can turn around. People are responsible for their own actions, but that doesn't mean that most of them can't be helped.

Please pardon my rambling and beotching, guys. I'm really burned up about that Columbine game, and that guy who shot up the college in Montreal right now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I just found this article...it might not be new to you. I have to translate it so pls my appogly for the poor english.

"In Philadelphia the 25-year old Tyrone Spellman stands trial for the murder on his 17 months year old daughter. The girl accidentally pulled his Xbox 360 down when she was playing with the controller. When the man saw his beloved console into pieces on the floor, he smacked the baby in her face en threw her against a chair. She was instantly dead.

First Spellman claimed his daughter fell out of bed, but the autopsy showed that her skull was completely crushed. The research also showed that the baby probably was walking around with a broken arm for more than a week. "

Now I know this doesn't prove that she died because he was a violent man because of video games. But yeah he was violent and his X-box seemed more precious to him than his daughter. So maybe he was already violent and his "beloved" X-box just made it worse, or maybe it's because it's not cheap equipment and he would have done the same thing with any other expensive equipment she would have accidently broke.

Search tags for this page

violence and video games forum