Using Anduril in Battle Practical?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by amondray, Nov 26, 2004.

1. R. Laine

R. Laine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Valamatar,

Thanks, you too. I doubt the dagesse was used to thrust through armour, though; more likely into the gaps. Unfortunately, there aren't any known historical treatises on fencing with one...

Cudgel,

Agreed on all counts. When talking about past people's heights, it is worth keeping in mind that average heights have varied slightly during time. For example, the average Elizabethan englishman was only about 5'6", while his viking age ancestors were roughly as tall as we are.

Rabbe

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  2. VALAMATAR

VALAMATAR New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This sword is a fourteenth century design, popular in western Europe as a thrusting weapon for penetrating joints in plate armor. It quickly found acceptance throughout Europe as its relatively short, stiff blade proved to be and excellent close-quarters weapon. It has an ebony handle and brass fittings. Also available in a black chromed version.
    Overall Length - 33", Blade - 26" long

Another quote!!! It seems it didn't run through (penetrate) armors, but through joints.More clear?Hummm, let's see next week...

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thrusting into joints and gaps=good
    thrusting through metal sheets=bad possible but still bad.

4. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, I forgot about this thread, and don't really know where to jump back in. I'll start by noting to anyone looking through this that the picture posted on the last page of the huge No Dachi is nothing but a ceremonial sword, and would not have any practical purpose beyond being such...

As for any swords cutting into armor, it wouldn't be done a lot, I'm sure, and you definitely wouldn't want to be smacking steel with your sword a lot in battle unless if you had extra ones lying about, which was unlikely, as well...

-Gregory-

5. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Late joing in but...

The only time in history that could have had armor hacking was the introduction of iron swords against bronze armor. Iron is considerably stronger than bronze, and indeed for many of the cultures not capable of forging iron it was a problem that could not be overcome.

With a heavy two handed sword you could concievably strike an opponent in his armor to knock him down, but not to cut through the armor.

Anduril would be a very practical sword in battle because large two handers became very common after the 13th century. Distance and power, a well trained knight with a two handed sword would be a very hard foe to overcome.

6. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "The only time in history that could have had armor hacking was the introduction of iron swords against bronze armor."

You, possibly knowing my interests in the Bronze Age, Aaron, have brought up an interesting point to talk about! Obviously, iron weapons were superior to their bronze counterparts during the change in metal choices between 1400 BC (early Hittite metal weaponry development, this time and even before) and completed at about 750 BC or so...

Bronze armor in plate style was probably not as common as scale, lamellar, or possibly even studded or supported linen/leather cuirasses. These would be easy to dig into with swords, and it would be natural to smack at them with the edge of the blade. But, the thing is, plate armor was virtually non-existant in the middle-east, where most of the early development of iron weapons took place. Southern Europeans using plate armor would not get it for ceutnries after the Hittites, when linen cuirasses were already becoming extremely popular. In Northern and Western Europe, wearing no armor at all, and then using mail (5th century BC onwards, approximately) was much more likely to be found than plate by the time that iron swords made an incredible impact on their world.

I would have to guess that smacking someone in their cuirass was not a common idea during the transition period in Greece, where plate armor came into long periods of contact with iron weapons. The iron swords were probably able to penetrate Bronze Armor, but the unpopularity of Bronze cuirasses that arose in the 6th century BC in Greece, and some century and a half later in Italy, would make it uncommon for the two to clash as such after a very widespread use of iron weapons (thus making them more likely to be willingly trashed in battle). The iron sword would be a rare and delicate thing on the battlefield much before this time (600 BC or so) and I don't think I'd want to wear mine down too much on armor, especially with the large body shields of the time used throughout continental Europe and the Middle East!

So, although the hacking situation was always there, and during the iron age, the main way of smashing an opponents guts across their torso, it was probably not the funnest thing to hit metal with it, considering the arms, upper legs, neck and face were almost always exposed...

-Gregory-

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  7. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Anduril was 54 inches long.

Search tags for this page

is anduril practical

is anduril practical as a sword