Uses for an old computer?

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Conquer, May 17, 2012.

1. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There was this really old laptop; a windows xp. It was slow, laggy, took forever to turn on/off. So, the people who owned that computer gave it to me. I fixed it up, made it really fast. But, now that I've fixed it up, I don't know what I should do with it. It doesn't connect to the internet, well, wireless internet. We only have wireless, so, I couldn't really connect to the internet. Its features aren't good enough to handle video games, but, it's still a perfectly good computer and I also have another laptop, which I use for a lot of things atm such programming, gaming, web-searching. So, I was thinking use that computer for one of them and clear disc space, but I can't program with it as it's outdated. What should I do with it?

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    If you could set it up to internet with a Ethernet cable, or a wireless connection that plugs in then...

*cough* Minecraft Server *cough*

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +339 / 1 / -0
    If you play games keeping an older computer around isn't a bad idea - gives you something to play those older titles on :)
    Seriously I think vintage computer - hardware side - manufacture might actually become a reality in the gaming market; simply because things like video cards don't keep all the old software as they advance, so you end up with old games that simply can't be easily fixed to run on modern systems - or they run with screen flickr or other abnormalities.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -0
    I connected my old Apple G3 Laptop to my circa 1975 Fisher Quad receiver via a phono plug to RCA jack adapter... nothing like opening iTunes with a Volume Logic Equalizer/Sound Conditioner plug in and playing music through a 35 year old quad system. It works unbelievably well!

To give you an idea on just how *dated* my Fisher Quad receiver is... there's a small joystick that juts out from the center of the unit that's used for balancing the four speakers. Pretty amazing that a piece of electronics made when disco music was all the rage works seamlessly with an Apple computer.

I'd love to say it was my idea... but actually it was at my daughter's suggestion that I gave it a whirl.

5. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Old computers make for pretty decent home servers. Drop in a chunky HDD and safe all your media files there. If you know what's what, it works loads better than a NAS :)

6. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    An Apple G3. To me that's legend.

We still have an iMac 2 (1998) and my sister has it now that I have my MacBook Pro. But the keyboard broke last year so she can't really use it (no internet) because it was only used for offline stuff. Still ran really well though.

I like Tur's suggestion, but knowing that you love MineCraft so much... what do you want?

7. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A minecraft server would be a great idea...if we didn't have a tight bandwidth limit. It's a great suggestion but my st00pad bandwidth limit doesn't like it so much.

8. Eris

Eris Figment Of Imagination

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I use my really old computer for teaching to starters and kids! you can donate it too! and you can connect to internet through an ethernet cable with wireless modem!
    just keep it! you will some day need it! and you can use the HDD too!
    if you like programming nothing works better than an old laptop for turbo c++ or assembly!!!!
    just keep it :D

9. Eris

Eris Figment Of Imagination

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    you also can use it as your fttp server for your own use! that won't take any thing of your bandwidth!

you also can use it as your Linux tester :D

what's your job? :-?

10. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +304 / 3 / -0
    Nut cracker

[​IMG]

or maybe a table tennis racket?

[​IMG]

or a weapon against home invasion?

[​IMG]

egg fryer?

[​IMG]

I would use it for the net if it were mine as Druid said you can use a network cable that plugs into the back of your wireless modem. Or get a usb wireless receiver.

As for Macs..

Macs are useless. However! Someone managed to find a good use for one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Macs are not useless. In my experience they work much better than other computers and have a longer life-expectancy. Linux is better than Windows, but that's just the OS.

@Eris: he's a student. Still at school.