Unleash the Musical METAL!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Overread, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Yes we need a metal thread! Heavy, power, classic, operatic - whatever other classifications!

IF its metal lets share it!

Orden Organ - must admit I've not a huge amount of their stuff, mostly just their Gunman CD, but I like what I hear!

NIGHTWISH - from the original all the way through to the modern! I have to say that their newest singer, Floor, is fantastic and I think a very well suited singer to their group. I've even slowly started to pick up their tour coverings like Vehicle of Spirit for her renditions of earlier songs.
    Nightwish still stand out to me as a band that can make a powerful action heavy song and then totally go the opposite way with something melodic and calm and then throw in some older and "folk" instruments as well. Very diverse and enjoyable!

Powerwolf - only come across them recently, but they fit the bill for "lots of melodic metal noise". One where I wish they sung in another language because I often don't want to focus on what they are saying but rather the sound of the voices singing to the music.

Oh and if you're a metal fan you need to play Brutal Legend - metal through and through in that game!

2. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

Top Poster Of Month

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
    Here's a question which is often divisive among metal fans: Which Mastodon album is the best?

I personally prefer Crack the Skye but other people insist it's Blood Mountain or Leviathan.

3. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    This guy does a lot of metal covers of almost everything!

4. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +635 / 2 / -1
  5. Kelmourne

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
    It seems you guys are mostly into Power Metal. Here's what I think is the best live performance by a Power Metal band:

Blind Guardian is everyone's favourite Power Metal band. If you say otherwise, you are lying to yourself.

6. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Oooooooh, this will be my new home from now on!

Some favs down below.

In this moment (alternative metal?) - Great band with some.. explicit text maybe, but she sings with passion!

Kamelot (prog/power/melodic metal) - My all time favourite band, seen so many of their concerts, altho the newer albums are not growing on me as they used to, but still so great!

SOAD - A classic <3

• Like Like x 1
  7. RayCaptain

RayCaptain Stranger in a Strange Land

Ratings:
    +428 / 3 / -10
    Really big into Folk Metal. Europe provides most of the best listening, including my favorite of the bunch, a Swiss band called Eluveitie. They sing about Gaul and Celts and really, really hate the Roman Empire or at least sing about killing Romans a bunch. Definitely tend to trend more into the heavy side of things, especially when Chrigel (the guy with dreads) has the mic, although the songs where it's female-led can be pretty solidly power metal and even ballad-like.

Here's one of my favorites, King, a powerful song, that includes all the elements I love about the band, a sung biography of the semi-legendary Gaulish king from which most European Celts descended.

Probably my favorite band in all of metal, Demon Hunter has developed to incorporate more and more Electronica into their songs but always have a few in every album that are a callback to the good ol' days where they were just angry dudes in denim and leather and Lord and lots of Groove Metal had their fans moshing and fist pumping. After their first album, they all "came out" as Christian and some songs heavily feature Christian messages and themes. In my opinion, they're the underrated kings of White (Christian) Metal and their lead, Ryan Clark, has been featured in almost every major White Metal band to deliver his signature roaring vocals. To date, their most popular songs are a variety of dark ballads with mostly clean vocals.

Here's one from their latest album. It's on the heavier side showing that even though they've evolved into something outside the mainstay of metal, they can still throw down.

I love so many other bands in so many other subgenres but here's two to start with for now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +635 / 2 / -1
  9. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I will never develop a liking of metal songs where the singers scream/throat kill in to the mic - which is a shame as the instrument backing to many of those songs sounds fantastic. The vocals just don't work for me on any level.

In other news my copy of Showtime Storytime arrived - more Floor Nightwish songs :)

10. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    I will honestly say that the only one I know we'll enough to make an opinion is Blood Mountain

11. Kelmourne

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
    You should listen to Crack the Skye then come back and say which one you liked more. It's a concept album so it's better if you hear it all in one sitting front to back.

12. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    I shall do so

13. Kelmourne

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
    If you like Viking Metal or Black Metal, here's both of those genres fused together:

14. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    I honestly like most metal, which is kinda why I haven't really posted my favorite, it'd be a very long post, but Enslaved is awesome. I actually have the cd that was their 'first' dip into viking metal, can't remember right now what it's called.

15. Kelmourne

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
  16. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I used to listen to so much Enslaved about a decade or so ago. I feel they lost there way a bit though.....

Also Kel....Crack the Skye all the way for me!

17. Kelmourne

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -1
    I hear Ivar from Enslaved was trash talking the recent Enslaved albums (the ones with Herbrand Larsen on keyboards, backing vocals), and then made an elaborate public apology on social media.

18. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    I kinda feel like that has happened to a lot of bands. Over time, they just seem to spiral downward from what made them good

19. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I think many people and groups change over time. They might not even notice the change because its often lots of little things that add up to the change. Some of it is going to be them getting better, some of it is going to be that they are bored with what they are making so they make something a bit different. They branch out.

As fans its possible, esp today, to sit down and hear their entire production in a day on disk so we can far more readily see the changes. Some fans will move with the changes, others will prefer the original creation for what it gave them.

I dont think its getting worse over time, I think its just natural evolution (though of course some will get lazy and actually worsen over time as the put less effort in; or it might be that they don't change over time and are seen as being less innovative than what started them out.