United Cutlery Winding Down Production

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by CB Swords, Feb 1, 2006.

1. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    United Cutlery is starting to wind down and stop product on most of their LOTR line.

They have less than 40 Glamdrings left and do not plan to make more. I think its is crazy, Glamdring is still a good seller. Hopefully they change their minds and start making it again.... but if you haven't got this sword yet and want it I would not wait much longer. Its kinda funny... but we have more Glamdrings than UC does now.

Glamdring's white scabbard was made in only very limited production, and they've been sold out of it since late Summer/early Fall. The blue scabbard, more were made of it, but I think they're finally almost out of it like with Glamdrings.

Of course the Sauron items are done... we have 5 gauntlets left and 2 helms.

Other items on the chopping block: The Ringwraith sword. The Witchking sword. The Uruk-hai scimitar. Strider's ranger sword (and scabbard). Both gimli axes. Possibly even legolas' knives, Hadhafang, Herugrim, and even Sting.

2. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Chris, Can you tell me if the Museum Collection Glamdring fits the UC scabbard. I would think that it would as both the Museum and regular UC versions are supposed to be duplicates of the prop sword.

3. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it'll fit.

4. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    well, that's bad news, although they're not functional, (the normal edition ones) they are affordable and pretty cool-looking.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I guess United want to free up production capacity, but why not keep them ongoing at say 25% of current production levels, so fans can keep buying them? people still buy Highlander swords and Conan swords, and they're both 1980's movies. Rambo knives are still popular. Unless there's somethign more complex I don't know about, it just doesn't seem to make much simple business sense.

6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Discontinuing the line just because sales aren't as hot as they once were doesn't make any sense. This is undoubtedly United's most successful line. Their other lines haven't had nearly the same kind of popularity (I suppose Hibben fans might disagree there...), and yet they endure. Like Mububban suggested, make smaller quantities than they do now, for the people who're still collecting. Ending the line is one thing (as in, not making anything new), but discontinuing it is something else entirely, and not the right call imo.

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I've heard online rumblings about United having financial problems, who knows if one day soon we'll get a message saying "United Cutlery is closing down"

All rumours and conjecture at this point, but you never know.....

8. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Legolas' Knives & Narsil are now sold out as well. Expect them to become scarce soon.

9. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I don't know why I missed this thread earlier, but it was bound to happen eventually.

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, conflicting reports from retailers, and from Kit Rae who developed the LOTR line at United Cutlery?

I'm just glad they're going to release Eomer's helm. I'm saving up for it already!

11. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Not really conflicting, unless anyone said Anduril was discontinued.

I think they'll recontinue some of the others like Glamdring eventually once they sort their finances out. But for the time being they've closed the book on it (no incoming shipments, no taking retailer orders, none in stock).

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    More info from Kit Rae: