Unfair Unlimited Anduril

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by j_ertl22, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay guys, calm down... let's remain collected and present our points calmly.

I've had my limited Anduril for over a week now and the weight of my purchase has set in. I'm very pleased with the sword and I think it was worth the money. I wish I could frame and put up the John Howe signature, but I can't. No more room. Maybe when I move :)

I look at the sword and I try to determine what's so great about it. It's hard to do that... there's just an overall feeling of pride. But aside from that, I think the best features of this sword are the John Howe certificate and the numbered sword itself.

The plaque is very nice, but UC dropped the ball on mine (and others I've heard). The holes drilled are not wide enough for Anduril's blade. The hooks provided were also not long enough to comfortably support and secure the sword. I had to make my own hooks, felt them, and bend them outward to properly accomodate Anduril. This is only a slight goof, but it should not have happened in a limited edition. In this instance, the special plaque is PART of the whole limited thing to begin with. It's a buyer's bonus, and it should be right.

Ah well, it's a minor thing and does not detract from the sword itself. Here's hoping they make Aragorn's crown. :)

2. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All the people wanting another batch of limited Andúrils or other half-assed plans like that are just jealous. Jealous because they could not get one. I don't blame them for feeling that way.

Today I found a note in my mailbox that my limited can be picked up from the postoffice tomorrow and now I am getting even more anxious than I have been in the last few weeks. If it turned out for the worse and I wasn't able to get one I would be pretty bumded out too. But limited is limited. End of story. That's the way it should have been any way.

Now with the unlimited a lot of fans are going to be made happy. I don't care if their reasons are they just don't care about limited editions and want a cheaper one or it's an alternative because they missed out or even if they wanted a "more true prop-repro". As long as it makes them happy. Downside is UC lied, loss of trust. I can try to fool myself by saying the UE makes the LE "even more special" but I simply don't believe it. Luckily it still remains 1 of 5000 which does make it bloody special. Let's not throw that away.

Can't wait till tomorrow :).

3. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have already said this on another thread here a while back about this subject, but I'll say it again for those who did not read it.

UC has been doing LE and standard versions of the same products for many years and there has never been a complaint that I have heard. I don't think it has ever been an issue until now. It has been interesting to see some of the response to say the least.

There was ALWAYS a plan to do a limited edition John Howe version AND a standard version of Anduril from day one. It was actually announced to many UC dealers and some were even taking orders on it when the pricing was released. The info was released about the standard version from UC's sales department by accident and we had to quickly retract it because at the time we DID NOT KNOW for sure if it would be made. It was never supposed to be announced because it was not a firm project. We had no idea at the time how much visibility the sword would really have in the film, or that it was going to be the center piece in the advertising campaign. That was all a blessing, because the sword deserved all of the attention. Our hopes were that the John Howe version would sell at least as good as the Shards of Narsil, and if the demand was still there we would be able to release the standard version later for those who were not fortunate to get the LE version.

Personally I would have rather had only the LE version made available, but as some have pointed out, UC is a business and we cannot ignore the demand for this sword, which has probably been 10x beyond what we ever thought it would be. I won't get into the issue of the $ value of the LE version because some have already stated my thoughts...but I will say that anyone that thinks the vaue of this sword will go down is insane. I think this will end up being the most popular movie sword in history, and I have a bit of experience in this area to back that statement up.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  4. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  5. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tryed my best to keep my cool. I made a half-hearted attempt to censor myself. I got a little carried away. I just got very upset when I read the comments from legolas. I love this place and am all for having fun and enjoying each other.

However this is a thread for sharing our opinions; and there have been several people who make it a point to tell other people how their opinions are wrong. How their reasons for their opinions are false and are based on evil intentions. I have never told anyone here how their opinions are wrong and made foolish speculations about them as a person. I enjoy what most everyone has to say here, including yourself Swordsman.

What I don't enjoy is the destructive and offensive comments of people like legolas-the-true. I appologise if I offended anyone else. Lets get back to having fun... :D

PS: Did anyone else see the superbowl commercials for the Ford GT?

6. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    We appreciate your view on this Kit, I don't mean to sound like an ingrate, I am quite familiar with the UC line, I own many pieces outside of the LOTR line between your pieces and the Hibben (well also your) pieces. (ie . Gold Edition, 1st PR, Unlimited issue)

Do you do the marketing artwork for the line? I think that's the crux of the dispute; it was the way it was presented.

7. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to handle the marketing but I gave that up a few years back. UC's marketing department did not announce that there would be a standard version in advance because there was no firm standard version at the time. New Line's final approval did not come until late December. They would not have thought to announce even the "possibility" of a standard version in advance because it had never been an issue before in all the years of UC selling LE's.

8. Durendar

Durendar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But clearly things have changed, this is a different customer that is being sold to and goes far deeper than a movie. Its not people buying one item or two its spending every extra dime they have to get as many pieces as possible. With these great sacrifices to send all their money to UC, people expect to be treated with respect and told honestly about the situation up front no matter what marketing thinks. I do not dispute anything Kit said as being wrong, but at the same time he didn't say a single word that alleviates the REAL issue, the integrity of the LE's and the anxiety we have to live with over them. In fact he made it worse talking about having to deny the UE Anduril completely until it was ready. That's because there is nothing he can say because he is not in charge of it, its not his fault.
    If two LE's come out at the same time and UC still refuses to be upfront on UE's, and you want them both really bad but one is more limited and you can only afford one so you get it but the other sells out just as fast and you can no longer get it without paying triple price, then you find out they are coming out with a UE of the one you got, then you will know what I am talking about. You could have had both and for far cheaper, now you either only get one or pay way more for both.

9. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ditto.

10. nazguls

nazguls Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought the advocates in this thread were saying it wasn't about money!

11. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It isn't about money for everyone. Some could not afford the LE's when they came out and cannot afford them now that the remaining few are going for about $500 to $600. Consequently, they CAN afford the UE Anduril now.

I think those who paid around $200 for the LE when it came out do not have room to complain. Those who paid more money as the item became more rare have a bit more room to holler, simply because they paid 2x to 3x more than the initial average price (not the UC retail price) when demand went up and there was no mention of a UE.

I was one of those people. I even knew the UE was coming out, and I still dropped $600 of coin on a Limited. But I have no real complains (aside from a plaque issue :p)

I guess you can look at it one of two ways... you were burned and paid upwards of $400 or more for a display sword, serialized or not, when the 'same' sword is coming out again for a lot less... or you can bite the bullet and treasure the item you have, because it is one of a kind (if only in a SMALL way).

Perhaps UC should have not released a limited Anduril at all. What would have been a good replacement for it? I think Aragorn's crown. This way, everyone gets an Anduril, and the really "special" thing is something that less people will want... the crown. The other helms are already limited thus far, so it makes sense.

12. Durendar

Durendar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When you have limited amount of money, which I assumed most of us do, then a jacked up price of one costs you from getting 2 or 3 items and you are forced to get one then its not about money. Its about the sold out LE you don't have. I thought everyone would be smart enough to understand that concept, of course if you have a lot of money then it would be only about money but there is no damn reason why you would be afraid of LE in the first place as I described because its your own stupidity for not preordering everything LE. And if you are only in it for a few items then this may not effect you, I was talking mainly to the serious collectors. The price you pay always matters to everyone, if it doesn't matter to you then you have too much of it. Not being about money with Anduril referred to being upset about what you could sell it for and I have not ONCE mentioned that and won't, and none of the people I am really talking to will either. If you have plenty of money then you can ignore what I said because you may not care, but many can barely afford to get anything and many serious collectors like me can only barely do it by making big sacrifices and the super LE's are so limited they can effect EVERYONE. How fast did LE Anduril sell out in the first run? You should all know well, and there will be 1,000 less Sauron helms total than just the first run of Anduril. Knowing if any of the pieces will be or even possibly be UE would help a whole lot of people out.

13. Durendar

Durendar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't talking to Doombringer in what I said, his post went through before mine.

14. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. How can a "Limited Edition" be trusted in the future?

15. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    "It isn't about the money" refers to people buying the LE in hopes that the value would rise in turn to sell it at a profit. It was never about that. That's sad because true fans and collectors get gouged in the process. So stop clouding the issue.

Many of us bought the LE at $200, preordered it 4 months or more in advance. It doesn't matter whether I paid $5 or $500, it's the principle that the naysayers don't seem to get.

16. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    NateDogg2, I personally would understand your complaint if United did not explain that they were going to release a non-limited edition. But they did. In fact, I have known since last summer that there would be a Limited Edition of 5,000 pieces, and after that would follow a non limited edition and that after that they would discontinue Narsil.

P.S. Thanks for dropping bye Kit. Always glad to have you here.

17. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Anduril...Also judging mainly from the books people should realize how special Anduril is and how well liked it would be...UC would be stupid not to do a UE, we should understand that...besides "what happened, happened and couldn't happen any other way" -Morpheus.

18. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If UC had announced both an LE and a UE to be produced...basically this thread wouldn't exist.

I understand how some LE owners are perturbed at the release of an UE because of no advance information, because now the sword doesn't seem so limited...and because some of them felt that they would be special in owning 1 of 5000 pieces. I'd feel a bit weird too, but when I sit and think about it...the more Andurils without the significance of my LE...the more significant my 1 in 5000 becomes.

It doesn't help either side when both sides boast about getting either the LE or the UE, or how the UE is supposed to be truer to the movie sword, because some immature buttheads are going to do anything to upend each other. There are some legitimately pissed off people who couldn't get an LE, that all they can do to feel better is to spite the ones who were fortunate enough to get the LE.

I think Kit's explanation was more than enough for explaining why and how the release information was handled the way it was, and unfortunately that's how it has to be, and nothing will change. Hopefully UC will take into account the socio-cultural effect the marketing of Anduril has had on its customers, and be more careful in the future towards specialty items.

I'm happy for those who got an LE, and I'm happy for those who've been given an opportunity to get by far a beautiful sword that has become the object of everyone's desire.

Anyways, I think this subject is beaten to death by now. So quit the mudslinging all you non-LE owners, and quit rubbing in your good fortune all you fortunate LE owners.

If anything, the Limited Edition will become more Limited. The specialty of originality is magnified by the number of counterfeits....not to say the UE is on the same scale, but you know what I mean.

19. 1Ranger

1Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This argument is silly. Producing a LE and a UE of the Anduril doesn't break any deal that anyone had with UC. I personnaly would like to extend the offer to purchase anyone's "like new" LE Anduril since you didn't know the UE was coming out. I will actually pay you retail, you don't need to even sell it as cheap as you bought it when you pre-ordered it the year that Tolkien wrote the books. In this way I will reimburse your for pain and suffering caused by the release of the UE without UC notifying you in writing and getting your pre-approval to release a different version of the sword.

Please feel free to PM me with specifics on how I can take that sword off your hands since you feel that it's not all it was cracked up to be. I don't anticipate hearing from any of you, but would be glad to do business.... Note UC is not a charitable organization, while you may personnally feel that they could have been "more upfront" about their intentions, as Kit said, they didn't get approval and make a final decision until later in the process. Nothing was unfairly marketed, and as many have pointed out, there are substantive difference in appearance between the UE and LE swords. They did not produce more than 5000 copies of the LE version.

Please get over it, there are plenty of us that want a copy of the sword and are unable unless we purchase the UE.

My offer stands.

20. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ^^I didn't see you PM me with an offer of $1400 like I offered earlier. So stop with the facetious "I'll take it off your hands" BS.

Ari is right, what's done is done.

So, who's planning to buy the Limited Edition Sauron Collection? :devilspin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.