Unfair Unlimited Anduril

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by j_ertl22, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j_ertl22

j_ertl22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody else have a problem with UC making an unlimited edition Anduril? It cheapens all of the limited ones. The only real differences are the non-gold lettering on the hilt, and no number on the blade. So what if the plaque is different, the most important thing is the blade itself. Plus the unlimited one is supposedly more accurate to the movie.
    I'm just upset that my limited one along with the other 4,999 are now not as rare and not worth as much. I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but I'm really upset.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Irish Ranger

Irish Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I felt the very same way when i first heard about this as well, i was so pissed, then i went through the fourm and read about all the people that wanted what we have and would settle with the umlimited, Then i relised that i no matter how you put it there is still only 5000 and maybe even less of these Limited swords in the world, as some were lost, destroyed damaged and so on.

Allot of the people think that the plaque is not nice on the limited one, my self i think that it is more kingly, and the fact that you have a limited one proves that you like myself are a real fan.

Now i bet if you were on the other side of the fence and had a umlimited one you would give anything to have an Limited one, also there is nothing stopping you from getting an unlimited one, as they will be unlimited so everyone can have one, but not everybody will have a limited one.

So to answer your question, yes i was a lilttle pissed but when i went down to look at it again and i held it, that did it for me. SO think of it that you are part of an elite club . What i think i will do is put my Limited in a glass case in my study and get the unlimited one and have it on display. Best of both worlds

3. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't own one, but i completely understand what you're saying.
    But, if I can afford it, I will buy the unlimited Anduril.

4. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have said this before, but you have given me another opportunity. This whole thing comes down to deceptive marketing and dealings by United Cutlery. Saying that the sword is limited to 5000 pieces worldwide, and then releasing more of the same sword is lying. I feel very upset. There was no talk of another edition before the limited edition came out. If there was, then it would be a different story.

5. j_ertl22

j_ertl22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your input, Irish Ranger. You bring up some very good and valid points. I totally agree with you. Thanks again.

6. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm not mad at all. I have the limited Anduril. True, it's uniqueness may go down a little b/c of this, but it's not a big deal to me at all. It doesn't matter at all when you look at the big picture of life, you know?

7. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So tell me, everyone who got a limited sword... what would you think if you didnt have one? You wouldnt care... youd be upset that you didnt get a limited one, and youd be happy that they were making a unlimited... because all you, and I for that matter... only care for the beauty of the sword. The 5000 just makes it rare and unique. Ive spent many hours on-line trying to get a limited, but i doubt that I will get one... so the unlimted one. Your not being a jerk I can tell you that... i was sorta upset that people are complaining how they are re-creating the same sword... I dont think that I would feel the same way.

How many people watched the movie and saw Anduril for the first time. Now how many of those would come home from the movie and search out swords... i bet you there are more sword collectors out there then we really know, just they arent "hardcore" fans.

8. sihotan

sihotan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think everyone deserves one who really want one. i wasn't sure if i would be able to get a limited one (but i did) and was sure pleased to hear that a unlimited one would be released. i think i'm going to have to get the unlimited one because i don't want anybody to touch the limited one.
    i also feel that UC made a good 'buisness' decision, just look at the demand for this sword.

9. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, the LE anduril is special to me because you cant buy THAT anduril no more. Personally, I like the plaque more on the LE than the UE Anduril because seeing the difference in plaques makes the UE one look plain and boring. Also the fact that you get an autograph by John Howe is a extra bonus to it, IMHO.

10. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea, if I hadn't gotten the LE, i'd be glad about the UL version--but I'd still prefer the LE because I like the plaque more and the gold lettering looks really nice.

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To be honest i think you're all blowing this far out of proportion, and being extremely ungrateful. Those who were lucky enough to get the LE (i myself got one) WERE lucky in the first place, how do you think it is for the people who are having to wait even longer for a non limited one? I myself purchased the sword not because of of the plaque, or the runes, or even the parchment, but for the SWORD itself.

Its starting to sicken me how many people here are apparantly only concerned about monetary values, its degrading for those of us who actually enjoy these fine products, wether it comes with a damn signature or not.

At the end of the day the 2nd edition IS coming out (which a lot of people will be happy about) and no amount of complaining large or small is going to change anything.

12. 1Ranger

1Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For those of you that are mad about the unlimited version coming out... Have you seen the value of the limited swords declining since the decision to release the unlimited? If you keep an eye out you'll notice that the value of the limiteds have not suffered as a result of the announcement of an unlimited version. If anything it fueled the fire within everyone that was on the fence to try to get one of the "last LE Andurils"... I'm glad at least some of you realize that the LOTR trilogy and movie are loved worldwide by many different types of people. I think the decision makes the sword accessible to many that would otherwise be shutout (possibly myself as I wait for my orders to be filled)... I realize that UC said the piece was limited to 5000... and they did limit that version...

13. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just because an unlimited version is released doesn't demean the value of the LE. In fact, the value will increase because out of the thousands of Anduril UEs in the market, you owners of the LE can be pleased that the more Andurils that are made, the more rare your LE piece becomes. If UC puts out 15,000 UE Andurils, that will bring our total Anduril collection to 20,000. If you have one of the 5,000 LE out of the grand total 20,000 that are in the world...does this sweeten your deal any?

BTW, I agree that this is definitely a smart business decision for UC. They are supplying a demand to a consumer market of many people who are willing to pay good money for a non-limited edition blade because they love the stories/movies and are fans in the purist sense of the word.

Besides, if you bought an LE with a mind to possibly sell it later, and are worried about the value of it, then with all due respect do not refer to yourself as a collector.

14. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hate to think that there are fans out there who would gladly have denied others from aquiring an Anduril of their own because of the 5000 piece supply restriction. Limited, unlimited, whatever. Every one who enjoys LOTR has a right to own such a mighty and important sword.

15. HybridK03

HybridK03 KID A

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't really care about the value going down, as I didn't buy Anduril to sell it. I bought it to keep, FOREVER.

However, after thinking about this for a while, I don't really like the strategy that was used in the LE and then the UE. I mean, I know it's just business, but I wonder how many people would have made a different purchase or at a later date because of the LE appeal?

Why would you even make a LE of something that was sure to sell well? You could certainly sell it for more money, but then here comes the UE, so...??? I can see how some are pi$$ed about this.

I'm going to carefully assume that UC was going to run the LE and then stop. I'm sure the demand was just too damn high and UC could not justify not cashing in, so they are making more. I don't know that I would do this, but I can CLEARLY understand how one WOULD do this.

For the record, I back UC and I really appreciate all that they have done as far as making the LOTR collection available to us. I just hope that if UC is just cashing in, that it is so we can get other great LOTR items that perhaps aren't so easily justified, financially. Maybe this will offset the items that aren't a sure thing, but give them good reason to give the "iffy" items the green light.

I give UC a lot of my money and will continue to, so I hope that any and all from UC who read this, don't get offended, just realize that there are those who feel a bit cheated by the decision to run the UE Anduril. Funny thing is, I don't really care one way or the other, but again, it's easy to see why some are looking down on this.

As a collector of the ENTIRE UC LOTR line, I will be purchasing the UE Anduril to hang next to my LE Anduril.

16. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ^^ I agree. I don't have a problem with them selling an infinite amount of Andurils to anyone, I just feel that UC wasn't really upfront with their intentions to offer two versions.

It's kinda like a bait and switch, I pre-ordered my Anduril MONTHS before it was released to ensure I would get one (I have the rest of the collection).

Does it really matter in the end? No, not really. I was getting it anyways, and it doesn't look like what I paid for my LE is going to be any more than $10 than what others will pay for a UE.

But I now have a jaded eye when it comes to the trustworthiness of UC's marketing department.

IMHO. No offense.

17. WillRuleThemAll

WillRuleThemAll New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I totally disagree with this comment. How does owning a limited Anduril makes you a "real" fan? It only makes you fortunate.

Though Limited version is good, but the unlimited is virtually the same. I feel for you guys I know it's unfair. I collect comic books. When they started coming out with reprints, it made the original drop in price because everybody who wanted one didn't care much to have a 1st printing.

18. Blueliner98

Blueliner98 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree... Just because I don't own a LE Anduril doesn't mean I'm not a true fan!!

I didn't get one because I surfed the internet trying to find the best deal I could get on the sword ('cuz I'm cheap) and in the mean time didn't realize that there was going to be an unlimited edition. So I bought one at what I thought was a very cheap price. They ran my CC through and I've already been billed for it, then I found this site and read that they (LE) are all sold out. When I e-mailed the dealer, he informed me mine would be an unlimited edition. It makes me mad at myself for being cheap, but what can I do!?! I consider myself a TRUE fan, though, just a cheap ignorant fan.

19. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And just for the record, for all those defending the unlimited version and saying the LE value will still go up, the contrary in fact, is happening.

As more and more unlimited preorders are hitting the market, I have noticed the price of the in stock limiteds are going down.

They hit a peak of ~ $680-750 (seen only a couple > 700) and are now going for $450-600.

We'll see if this trend continues.....

20. Mike

Mike The Rocket of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You've got to wonder, who's bright idea was it to make the coolest (IMO) sword in the entire trilogy a limited run of 5000 pieces! Really, did they not expect people to want to buy the sword that the main character recieves in the most popular movie of the trilogy?

I suppose they may have been influenced by the sales of the Shards of Narsil, but I think people held back from buying that one because it wasn't exactly a complete sword. Anduril should have been an unlimited run from the beginning, or a run of 10000 at the least.

--
    Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.