Ulfgard: An Adventurers Guide

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Midnattblod, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    (We'll start off by a note from me explaining this thread. This will be where I post everything related to the fantasy universe I am creating. I got the idea kinda from GrumpyCroc. thought his thread was a cool idea, just been too busy to really get one for my stuff started. I wholeheartedly accept any constructive criticism, though please don't bash my stuff just because you don't like it. Please note that I have not yet figured out all the names for everything, this is always the hardest part of writing for me, but I will update this thread when I come up with particular names of realms and rivers and such. I will post this in the Scribes House for now because I am not sure where else I should post it and I know the mods and admins are working on a restructure so yea, not sure if it will remain here or not but oh well. So without further ado, let's get into it shall we :))

The World of Ulfgard:
    Rivers that run swift as the wind, or sluggish as a cart making it's way across a vast land. Forests for as far as the eye can see. Mountains high as the clouds. If you are looking at these vistas, you may be finding yourself in any number of locations in the empire of Ulfgard. Named after the world it dominates, this empire is vast, though it did not always claim such. It originally was just a hand full of small nations come together to fight a common enemy. But alas, history lessons must wait for a later portion of this writing, for I am here to describe to you the magnificence of the empires many locales. We will start with the far southern shore of this empire, where lies it's capital. The smell of salt fills the air so close to the southern seas, and the sound of gulls can be heard throught the region. Four realms make up this coastline (names TBD). These four nations were the origins of the empire, and as such, they are amongst the wealthiest of all the separate realms. The most notable locale, other then the wide seas that stretch beyond the horizon, is a great canyon where the river (?) runs through. this canyon marks the border between two of the realms of the area. This rift in the land has acquired many names from different folk of the world. Amongst humankind it is simply The Great Rift. The Elfin races call it Alri'Thalio, the meaning of which has been lost to time. (More to be added as I come up with them lol). This great fissure was the sight of one of the deadliest battles fought in the infancy of the Ulfgardian empire. The small alliance stood against a great host from the north. the battle raged for a sevenday, before, by the luck of the gods, the southerners held out. Having knowledge of the land seemed to have been the greatest aid to the allies. This battle ended up marking the beginning of the northward expansion of the empire. Before long the land under control of the emperor went all the way to the Nightstalk Mountains. This imposing range still marks the northern border today, as every attempt to gain a foothold north of them has met with utter disaster. That is also a topic for another time, as that goes into the races that populate the empire and it's surrounds.

A few hundred leagues north of the Great Rift is the next notable feature of the land we will discuss. I talk about the great Drakenwood forest. The only forest in all of Ulfgard to be home to this amazing tree, the Drakenwood tree climbs hundreds of feet into the sky. Thought to have at one time been the home of the Ancient Elves, this forest sits quietly, empty of all life other then woodland creatures. It's said that if one ventures too deep into the forest, they may find great riches, though where these rumors come from I am not privy. To my knowledge, none who enter are ever heard from again. It's thought that they lose their way in the tangle and end up starving to death. But if you ever find yourself feeling the need to see these trees, make sure you don't go more then a few hundred paces. If you can still see the light of the sun streaming in through the boughs of the trees, you should be safe.

There are tales told in the taverns of the north of the land north of the empire. The stories state that the light of Ahdin never shines there, only moon- and starlight. This is a realm that was never acquired by the empires might. Only the brave few adventure into this land, and I am one of those. I can tell you that the aforementioned tales are true. Not a single ray if sunlight, though it's not a dreary land. this land holds beauty of it's own, from the small streams coursing through the forests, to the grand mountains dominating the horizon. Crystal clear lakes dot the land, which is mostly a wild country. there are no grand cities and small villages like the lands of the empire, but the inhabitants of this realm are quite friendly once they ascertain your intentions in their land.

The West is bordered by an ocean as far as the eye can see, though rumor has it there is a magnificent island across that body of water. This island is said to be filled with trees and mountains kiss the sky. It's also said that only barbaric tribes live here, though in the eyes of an Imperial, everywhere not part of the empire is barbaric.

South of the empire lies a vast land of sand. The air is arrid, and water is a precious comodity worth more then gold. If you would choose to travel through this land, be sure to come prepared. It is said that beyond the desert lies quite a lush land full of jungles, though I personally have yet to meet a soul who's made it to and from.

The Eastern border of the empire is a natural defense... mountains. As far flung as the aforementioned ocean and desert, you could never hope to see the other side of the mountain range by standing on the edge. it takes weeks of constant travel to traverse through this rugid land, though the emperors have attempted to build a road through to improve trade with the east.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pentagamus

Pentagamus The Bulgarian

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's really great! I really enjoyed it and would like to read more of it. I'm also coming up with a fantasy universe (don't worry, I won't steal anything from you :p), and you made me want to post some of my descriptions. The more I write and the more ideas I come up with, though, the harder and out of control it gets...:mad: That's why I'm strictly concentrating on one nation and am not going to write about anything else, until I'm done with that one.

Great beginning. Keep going!

3. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    thank you for liking it so far. I would suggest continuously checking this thread to see updates, as I am just updating the original post until I reach the next part of what I'm going for with this (more of a scholar writing about the empire sort of thing. this section is gonna be landmarks, the next will talk about races and so on and so forth (I'm just updating each post because I don't want to get yelled at for using this as a way to up my post count. every line of ******* is where I updated just so you know)).

I hope to keep adding information every week at least so yea. kinda hard to keep up sometimes, mostly because I've become addicted to a couple video games but I hope to get all the world building info I've got so far on here by the end of the year lol.

4. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    So this marks the end of what I have for now with this section. next will be the different races that are promonint in Ulfgard, but that will be for later. I may end up adding more to the first section over time, but for now I am going to continue on to the next 'section'. I'm also not sure how much longer I am going to have it be in a 'scholer from within Ulfgard writing a book' sort of format. I'm kinda just playing around with the idea of it because this may be a side/reference book that I make and so yea. thank you anyone who has read this so far and I hope you have enjoyed it.

5. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    ok, I think I'll continue a bit with this. next, as stated above, is the different races, either historical or current, that are or were prominent in Ulfgard. we'll start with historical races that have since dwindled into legend and no longer roam the wilds.

Elves
    The race of the sun, known more regularly as the Elves, or Ancient Elves, was one of the first peoples to wander the world. Many scholars argue as to when they first arrived in the wilds, and whether they were the first or not, but there is one point that they all seem to agree upon still to this day. The Elves are no longer amongst us. How this came to be, no one is quite sure, though some say that their numbers dwindled too drastically during the Great war for the sole rule of this world. This was a war between them, and the Miirzanians, which was devastating to both races, and lasted nearly three millennia. The elves, by all accounts, were a tall, lithe race, capable of great feats. They had hair the color of the woods, anywhere from green, to a deep, earthly brown. Their eyes glimmered like jewels, or so we are led to believe by what little artwork remains of them. It's believed that they were taller than most humans, males reaching six and a half feet, while females were maybe a head shorter. They were known to be able to "melt into the trees" which made battle with them very challenging if it was one of their forested realms. This is believed to be one reason why the war was so strung out.

Very little remains of this race in the way of their cities. Taking into account the smattering of paintings from that time, they mostly built out of wood. Due to this, it's believed that their once fair cities slowly deteriorated into nothingness. Or else, the land slowly swallowed it into itself, and these cities lie beneath our very feet.

Though the Elves themselves don't walk amongst us in the everyday anymore, there are three races which are believed to be descended from this once great race. This is, as most scholars will attest to, due to their ability to mate and bear young with any race they chose, a gift thought to have been given them by the sons of Ahdin. They are the Lithonians (called Light Elves by the lesser learned), Syirolians (Called Wood Elves by lesser learned) (name still a wip), and Drathar (known to most as Dark Elves). These races will be touched upon at a later time as they all three still walk amongst us, though the Drathur do so very rarely, and we are uncertain if they are even still around.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    Aranias
    This was a race of winged beings, believed to have been messengers of Ahdin himself. Not much is recorded of them, though most scholars seem to agree that they were sent to Ulfgard to try and mediate peace between the Elves and the Miirzanians. This seems to have failed however, due to the fact that the Aranias seemingly were attacked by both races. no one knows if they are actually all gone, or just retreated back to their homeworld.

The average Arania was roughly 8 feet tall. (this race is a complete WiP, as I just came up with them lol. I will continue to add as I come up with stuff)

Search tags for this page

ulfgard