UC Swords Functional?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by sihotan, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Exactly!
    I have taken Karate (bushijitsu) for years, and although the techniques you learn can kill people, you learn the selfdiscipline to control yoursef.

2. Connovar Oakenshield

Connovar Oakenshield Sun Hang Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, here's the bottom line to anyone considering using LOTR swords....they are technically NOT functional. They are stainless steel blades, and yes, that certainly isn't prime for combat. I will not lie, however....I have used them and they DO, at least so far, hold up fine. *shrugs* Do what you will, but do so at your own risk.

I have taken martial arts for a long time, and I know quite a few moves that I'm pretty sure would kill a person...but thats not why I study martial arts, nor is that why it is taught. Thats not even why I study swordplay. Personally, I study them because the ART of combat facinates me, and yes, it is certainly an art. I love to go through a complex martla arts pattern, or dance back and forth with an opponent as the steel sings....*deep breath* Ok, time for some swordplay.....

*grabs Ranger sword and runs*

3. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly my point. And I'm sure justice would agree that the focus of Kenpo, Judo or whatever is not killing people. Practicing swordplay for the same reasons as martial arts makes perfect sense. It does not have to be for killing.

4. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No NateDogg2, I didn't say that I take it, I said "I decided to take..." That doesn't mean I started... I'm still at the stage of finding a dojo I wish to take lessons from.

And nowhere in my post did I state that these martial arts techniques are learned so as to kill someone. There was only one sentence in my post that mentioned martial arts at all and that was the above quote above that "I decided to take Kung Fu weapons fighting, and Tai-Chi w/weapons" lessons- no other reference to the marital arts was made.

I have studied Tai Chi-open hand and also Tung Su Do and I also do not take martial arts to learn how to kill somone... that is not why I want to learn. I want to learn for the art, the skill and the physical/mential fitness it brings. But I know also that when my skill is great enough, I will be taught techniques that can kill and I would make sure that I learned those techniques to the best of my ability. That doesn't mean I'll use them. But in studying any martial art that I settle on, I do want my skill to be such that if (and I know it won't happen) I'm forced to defend myself against someone who was trying to kill me and the only way to get them to stop was to kill them, then I could do it.

Also, only two sentences in one paragraph of that whole long post mentioned killing- "Swords were not made for sword play as someone in this forum mentioned... they were made to kill. In real life- dead! So when you're sword "playing" are you playing or are you trying to kill someone or learn how to kill someone?" To me, the ultimate skill and purpose of learning how to sword fight, in the world in which swords were originally made and used, was to kill. That was their original purpose, no matter what other purposes we now use them for (in a world where guns have replaced swords as weapons.)

Anyway, I think I'll end off here... I don't think my original posting came across as I intended... it was a philosophical look at this topic, from someone who is not a degreed philosopher, nor from a master martial artist, nor a swordmaster- and I find it a bit tiring to defend myself against things I did not say.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  5. Connovar Oakenshield

Connovar Oakenshield Sun Hang Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, of course practicing swordsmen do not try and kill each other...but they do attempt to outdo each other and win the fight by either striking each other (non-lethally) in a lethal area, disarming, forced surrender, ect...Its like a game of chess. Each attempts to put the other into checkmate. Swords are weapons first and foremost, and essentially yes, we learn how to kill people with them while defending ourselves. Blunt but true, same goes for many advanced martial arts techniques. But most are not in it for 'killing' knowledge. Some just wish to learn a unique and challenging fighting style, which swordplay certainly offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.