UC Swords Functional?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by sihotan, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    sure do...

2. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    but i dont...that being said, can i still use my unofficial one for mock combat in my music video and the tang won't snap???

there will probably be ver little contact, if any...depends on how much time we will have to work before we actually film it

3. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure you'll be fine.

And, as far as nicks go: On the WK, RW, and Uruk swords, they look fine. The sword isn't ruined, it just looks better and more authentic. How can you have a battle worn look if the sword isn't nicked a bit? (Yay, common sense!)

4. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    what is this common sense you speak of??

thats what i thought...i was just hoping it wouldnt snap the whole thing in half...Stainless Steel is weak, but its still steel right?

even if they do get nicked...it will only be able to be seen close up i think...hahahaha...i think...thats a hot one

5. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The problem with stainless steel is that it might not just nick, it has the potential to actually CHIP off huge pieces of steel. That and the Wk and RW swords have very long, thin tangs that will most likely snap under any usage.

6. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I used them for awhile, and they do feel loose now. So yeah, now if I feel the need to add chips, I use a knife.

7. Master Dragoon

Master Dragoon Thor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Samurai 3000 series are not functional in the slightest they are of push tang construction and of 420j2 steel

they are however capable of being swung around etc with out general fear of breaking but i would highly recomend not hitting anything with them as they are designed with display in mind

8. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    420 stainless (the lowest stainless you can go?) can/will break when struck hard enough. It may chip here and there, but one good whack could snap the entire blade in two. Not to mention what it will do to the tang...

9. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This link is interesting. At the bottom they promise "Behind the scenes photos from the making of the Lord of the Rings swords", but are very careful not to show any bare tangs. :)

10. Connovar Oakenshield

Connovar Oakenshield Sun Hang Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can only speak for the Ranger and RW swords, but I have used both in sparring matches and they hold up remarkably well. The RW has a slight rattle, but the Ranger is still as solid as anything, no looseness or chips and whatnot. The swords specs may not point to functionality, but experience leads me to say that they CAN withstand (albeit light) sparring/practice.

11. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have tested two swords. One of them now has a rattle. You can't really draw any conclusions from the use of two of thousands of products.

12. Connovar Oakenshield

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder why people have such a hard time accepting this. Two of my friends also have UC LOTR swords that we practice with all the time, and I've yet to hear of any problems. Will these blades last as long as an Atrim? Not likely. But the proof's in the pudding, my own personal experience dispells any and all statements that claim that these swords would break under the lightest of use...not only incorrect, but laughable, since I've been using my Ranger since I got it (when it was first released), without a hitch.

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Nevertheless, we can not endorse the use of stainless steel display items as functional swords. They may be exceptionally well made and well balanced display items, but they are display items only.

Connovar, I hope that slight rattling you've noticed doesn't turn into a snapped tang that will result in your blade flying out of your hilt and harming yourself or someone else. Please be careful, we'd hate for any of our members to get hurt.

And if you want an example of what can happen when 440J stainless steel fails, I highly recommend you check out the video in this thread:
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3303&highlight=wallhangers

14. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    As the famous saying goes,

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...."

You know, I've jumped off a moving train once and lived to tell about it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.... ;)

15. Connovar Oakenshield

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to worry, I've had many a rattley sword in my day. I've also had many a sword, both 'functional' and 'decorative', break. Eventually, all swords, 440 or not, will break, thats just the way she goes in the world of high impact sparring. I am merely answering the original question to the best of my knowledge, despite what the specs are on paper.

16. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So, most if not all of us have read and studied and come to the conclusion that 420 J2 is not a good sword blade material in terms of functionality.
    BUT, what about UC's knives?
    Stainless steel is very popular and functional for kitchen knives, pocket knives, etc. OK, so stainless is a soft metal(compared to other blade metals). However, you don't fight with 5-inch kitchen knives(sharpened edge-to-sharpened edge contact). Therefore, I would be inclined to say that the utility knife in UC1366 Strider's scabbard IS functional.
    What about UC1371 and UC1372, Aragorn's and Legolas' elven fighting knives?

17. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

And the handle of a handgun might be useful for hammering in nails, but you have no one but yourself to blade if you shoot yourself in the foot.

And the fact that they can break under light use is not laughable, I don't think many people will appreciate your approval of these being functional weapons as these swords are not made to accept combat stress. I had an old Pakistan sword which could split wooden timbers. But one day it broke when dry handling.

And just because your sword didn't break doesn't man that no one else's will. In fact that's a downright dangerous statement. Unless you've dissasembled your sword you have no way of knowing what damage has been caused internally.

18. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Seeing as how the LWK's and EHK needed to be high impact sturdy, I would not say they are functional. In fact stainless steel would be quite damaged under the usage shown in the movies.

19. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ^^ I agree, but that said, also keep in mind that a sword and a knife are subjected to different stresses. You could probably use the AHK or the LWK for cutting up stuff (but I would suggest that a cheaper knife made for the purpose would be better). As for the fighting stuff, dry handling should be OK but I wouldn't subject the knife to a lot of shock.

20. Connovar Oakenshield

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unless you have actually used the LOTR swords for sparring/practice, I feel you are in no position to comment on them. I use the, My friends use them. I know of other people on the web that use them. BOTTOM LINE: You CAN use them, and sure they will break eventually, but guess what, so will any blade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.